Looking for new tires. Hankook, Nitto, or General. Little Help and/or Opinions.

jayzx6r

Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
Like the title says I'm needing new tires for my Envoy Denali. I'm looking to run 255/60 18's on my stocks wheels. I'm looking at these 3 tires, Hankook DynaPro ATM, Nitto Terra Grappler AT, and the General Grabber AT2. I live in Central PA and looking to run these year round so any experience running any of these in rain and snow is really helpful. Treadlife is pretty important too, since I have too many expensive hobbies to be buying tires every other year. Any experiences or opinions are appreciated, especially from people who live in or around PA.

Thanks, Jason

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
jayzx6r said:
Like the title says I'm needing new tires for my Envoy Denali. I'm looking to run 255/60 18's on my stocks wheels. I'm looking at these 3 tires, Hankook DynaPro ATM, Nitto Terra Grappler AT, and the General Grabber AT2. I live in Central PA and looking to run these year round so any experience running any of these in rain and snow is really helpful. Treadlife is pretty important too, since I have too many expensive hobbies to be buying tires every other year. Any experiences or opinions are appreciated, especially from people who live in or around PA.

Thanks, Jason

I ended up with Toyo Proxes ST II's, i wanted a 255 width as well and got 255-55-18's, so is a 255-60-18 a taller tire than stock 245-60-18's? mine are smaller than stock by a bit.

Irishboy02

Apr 1, 2012
Go with the Terra Grapplers if you want all around. They run quiet and smooth - had them on my buddys silverado, then my TB 285/70r17s and loved them, theyr now on my neighbors Ford Expedition with about 65k on them and still going. AT2's will be better in snow, but a little more aggressive tread with give you a little more road noise and loose some highway manners. No experience with the hankook ATs, loved their MT though.

jayzx6r

Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
Denali n DOO said:
I ended up with Toyo Proxes ST II's, i wanted a 255 width as well and got 255-55-18's, so is a 255-60-18 a taller tire than stock 245-60-18's? mine are smaller than stock by a bit.

According to the tire size calculator on discounttiredirect.com the overall diameter is .49" smaller than stock and circumference is 1.54" smaller than stock. The 255/60s are slightly taller than what your 55's are just a tad over 1'' in overall diameter. How do you like the Toyos?

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
jayzx6r said:
According to the tire size calculator on discounttiredirect.com the overall diameter is .49" smaller than stock and circumference is 1.54" smaller than stock. The 255/60s are slightly taller than what your 55's are just a tad over 1'' in overall diameter. How do you like the Toyos?

I like the Toyo's lots, Proxes ST II are for the summer on my stock 18" rims and I run Toyo Geo Open Country II 245/65/17 snows in the winter on 17" rims. For an all season tire I loved my Michelen LTX/MS those were nice tires, good traction in snow and quiet on the hi way and great tread wear. Good tires arent cheap to buy but they can last much longer than the cheap ones.

ieatglue

Nov 20, 2011
I have the Hankook Dynapro ATR's. They're great tires in the summer, but a bit slippery in the winter. After about 2 years, the tread looks brand new, leading me to believe that the compound is too hard. I'll be getting some snow tires this winter because driving on the Hankook's is somewhat shady. I had Firestone Destination A/T's prior to these and I LOVED them!

IMG_1711.jpg

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
jayzx6r said:
Nah, the Denali's had 18's as stock.

I agree. Only the denali's...unless they had the very rare option of the ss wheels with the gmc center caps.

jayzx6r

Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
jrSS said:
I agree. Only the denali's...unless they had the very rare option of the ss wheels with the gmc center caps.

Those 20's would be some pimp summer wheels.

jayzx6r

Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
Denali n DOO said:
I like the Toyo's lots, Proxes ST II are for the summer on my stock 18" rims and I run Toyo Geo Open Country II 245/65/17 snows in the winter on 17" rims. For an all season tire I loved my Michelen LTX/MS those were nice tires, good traction in snow and quiet on the hi way and great tread wear. Good tires arent cheap to buy but they can last much longer than the cheap ones.

I know what you're saying about good tires, good tires for my bike last depending on how much riding time I get last a summer maybe a summer and a half. A cheaper harder tire will last longer, but they take longer to warm up and they don't grip as well as the more expensive softer tires. In that case I pay more for performance over longevity. Bike tires and high performance car tires I can go out and buy all day long. This is the first time I've had to buy truck/suv tires in the 17 years I've been driving. Which is pretty much why, I'm here asking you guys for your help. Which is appreciated.:thumbsup: Just to goes to prove you're never to old to be a noob!:rotfl:

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Ask Craig (flyingfischer) what he thinks about his Terra Grapplers, but Im gonna tell you know that he loves them. Year-round in Spokane they do great, from dry traction to 4-6+" of snow in the winter (more in the mountains). If they're on your short list, you wont be disappointed. :thumbsup:

I personally love my Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo (and Revo 2)s, great all around dry/wet/snow traction. The original Duelers I had on my 02 lasted about 30-35k before they were getting slippery in the snow, but until then they were execellent. When I replaced them, I went with Kumho Road Venture SAT KL61s, and I am really impressed. On par with the Revo 2s I have on my SS winter setup (gotta remember that my SS has all the sound deadening from GM, my 02 doesnt) in terms of noise and great wet/dry/snow traction. I chose them because they were supposed to have better snow traction and were a lot cheaper than the Revos. My brother drove around Bozeman, MT all winter and didnt have any problems. They have about 8k on them now and look brand new.

Yendor

Jul 9, 2012
I asked the sponsor on the old board in a PM about his suggestion with the criteria of towing and traction, this is what he told me. Hope it helps. I have been running the Terra Grappler AT's for a few months now and they are great.

I recommend running tire size 255/60-18. The 255/55-18 size is a little shorter in diameter when compared to the stock 245/60-18 size. The 255/60-18 size will be about 1/2" taller than what you are running currently.

In the 255/60-18 size, and excellent model to look into is the Nitto Terra Grappler A/T. This tire has a higher load carrying capacity when compared to the factory tires and this model does well in all conditions including light snow. Here's the link with more details.

Error - Discount Tire Direct

I run a set of these tires on my Xterra and they are great. Even with the semi-aggressive tread pattern they are quiet and ride extremely smooth.

I hope this information helps. If we can be of further assistance please let us know.

-Matt

jayzx6r

Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
Well, I ordered a set of the Nitto's. After talking to few people on here and reading what you guys wrote they seemed to be the best option for the price. Appreciate all the help guys.

Jason

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online