Looking at Chevy Avalanche

gr82bCanadian

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Hubby and I are looking at purchasing a Chevy Avalanche, one in particular (2008 LTZ), the ad says "cylinder shutdown: # of cylinders 4", I know what that means, what my question is, do all Avalanches after a certain year have this option or just some? Also with DOD, what are the cons?

Also could I just get an over all consensus of the Avalanche, and maybe some tips of what to look for and what to watch out for? :undecided:

If we do decide to take the leap, it means going from a 2 vehicles down to one (this is the factor holding me back) :confused:

I do hope if we go through with this venture, that the Chevy Avalanche is an accepted platform on this site because unfortunately we would be selling my Trailblazer and his '04 Silverado 2500 to purchase the Avalanche.

So any input/advice would be greatly appreciated :biggrin:

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
Great trucks. I, too, have always wanted one. I believe DOD is on all of them after 05?, but don't quote me. I'm sure there is a way to disable it, but I am not aware if any downside. I would say good luck no matter what the choice is. And remember, we are a forum for all gm trucks, meaning the silverado is welcome as will be the avalanche if you get one.

mwcky

Dec 7, 2011
A very nice truck for what it is IMO. The question you need to ask yourself is.......What do I need this one truck to do for me and my family?

gr82bCanadian

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
mwcky said:
A very nice truck for what it is IMO. The question you need to ask yourself is.......What do I need this one truck to do for me and my family?

Oh I am the "its needs to be practical" one, if it doesn't suit us and our needs, it wouldn't be a consideration :smile:
The only reason we have the Silverado 2500 is to haul the 28' travel trailer that we USED to have :crazy: so other than having the box to haul items I won't put in my TB, we really don't use the pick up very much and fuel economy is worse than my TB. The only way I will give up my Trailblazer is if the replacement vehicle has the same or more options and looks as good :smile:
The Avalanche seems to be the only one that we both are willing to give up what we have for.
I know pretty much every line of automobile on the market has downfalls, as long as its fixable (without killing the bankbook) its ok.

Thanks for the input....keep 'em coming :smile:

looks like we may have a couple trucks for sale after the holidays :smile:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I don't know if any truck is really worth going down to one vehicle. But that could just be me. Nice trucks, I almost got one if I didn't get the Trailblazer. I don't believe they all come with DOD nor do I know of any downfalls to it.

gr82bCanadian

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
djthumper said:
I don't know if any truck is really worth going down to one vehicle. But that could just be me. Nice trucks, I almost got one if I didn't get the Trailblazer. I don't believe they all come with DOD nor do I know of any downfalls to it.

I know that's where I'm on the fence. At the moment we really don't need 2 vehicles (especially 2 gas guzzling trucks), I don't work out of the home and hubby flies to and from work, our oldest does have a car if ever we needed to borrow for some reason. And I know down the road we would be buying a cheap car (I shutter at the thought) for our youngest (14), couple years she will be driving. So the 1 vehicle thing isn't a for ever thing.

Love the input....keep 'em coming :yes:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:undecided: Well Karen, if you DO decide to go ahead and buy the Avalanche, I can think of a great first mod you can do for it that will be really easy!! :biggrin: :wink:

Fishhunter911

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
I was looking at the Avs too. I drove a ton of them. The wife did not like the idea of the back window being so close to the heads. So she said to look at tahoes and Yukons. i went with the yukon. The only downside to the DOD is if you plan on putting a different exhaust on it. You will definitely hear it going between 4 and 8 mode. Other then that they are a great vehicle. And YES it will be very welcome here!

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
I had a 2003 Avalanche with all the bells and whistles. The fuel economy was pretty reasonable given that it is a full size truck, and it was very comfortable to travel with the whole family. (wife and 3 kids in car seats)

On Christmas day 3 years ago I had an 18 wheeler pass me and pull into the right lane before he had cleared me. This forced me onto the shoulder and into a patch of ice. The truck got sideways on me and before I could get control I was in the center median where the drivers front tire dug into the fresh snow and still soft ground and I rolled 4 complete times. The truck held up very well and I walked away without a scratch. Even better then that, I replaced the drivers front tire (broke the bead) and was able to pull it out of the ditch and drive it home!!!

Of course the insurance totaled it, I bought it back for $500 and sold it to a local salvage yard for $1,750. I also kept the wheels and rear springs which are now holding a place of honor mounted on my Envoy!

PC270271.jpg

PC270272.jpg

PC270273.jpg

PC270275.jpg

PC270278.jpg

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
I really like the new Avalanche's. If I had to get rid of the TB, I think I'g get one of these or a Tahoe.

766b1a45.jpg

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
I have an Av, an '09. I've had it for a year (almost to the day) and, I've added a number of kilos to the speedo (I'll be out of warranty by Christmas).

It works very well and I have only had one warranty problem (driver's door strap, the detent that keeps the door open).

No water leaks, the pre '07s had water leaks; but the newer trucks seem to be better designed (but, just to be on the safe side, I park the nose higher than rear if I think it will rain, haha).

The 8 to 4 cylinder thing (it's called Active Fuel Management now) is seamless; but it doesn't stay in 4 very long, just a little gas and it's back to 8.

In fact, if I had a complaint, it would be gas mileage. It's a little harder than the Envoy I had, but it's also a bit bigger.

Actually, I just thought of a complaint, the windshield defrost is not as good as I would like. It keeps the middle clear, but the far sides let the snow build up.

rjpoog1989

Dec 4, 2011
I would love an Avalanche, but there's no way I can afford one. If I could I would get the Z71 package for sure!

gr82bCanadian

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Regulator said:
I had a 2003 Avalanche with all the bells and whistles. The fuel economy was pretty reasonable given that it is a full size truck, and it was very comfortable to travel with the whole family. (wife and 3 kids in car seats)

So....question :undecided: ...
Your wife rides in a car seat still? :raspberry:

:rotfl: :biggrin: :rotfl: :tongue:

Seriously though, glad no one was hurt and nice to see the Avalanche faired out that well.

gr82bCanadian

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Blckshdw said:
:undecided: Well Karen, if you DO decide to go ahead and buy the Avalanche, I can think of a great first mod you can do for it that will be really easy!! :biggrin: :wink:

If its a lift, I don't think that will happen, hubby won't let me lift the TB (which is mine), pretty sure he won't with the Avalanche (will be ours, he will have even more say :frown: )

Fishhunter911 said:
I was looking at the Avs too. I drove a ton of them. The wife did not like the idea of the back window being so close to the heads. So she said to look at tahoes and Yukons. i went with the yukon. The only downside to the DOD is if you plan on putting a different exhaust on it. You will definitely hear it going between 4 and 8 mode. Other then that they are a great vehicle. And YES it will be very welcome here!

I am pretty sure I will see a dual exhaust on the Av., I had one put on his Silverado, haven't got around to doing it on the TB yet :smile: but would love too, if selling....no point...

RayVoy said:
I have an Av, an '09. I've had it for a year (almost to the day) and, I've added a number of kilos to the speedo (I'll be out of warranty by Christmas).

It works very well and I have only had one warranty problem (driver's door strap, the detent that keeps the door open).

No water leaks, the pre '07s had water leaks; but the newer trucks seem to be better designed (but, just to be on the safe side, I park the nose higher than rear if I think it will rain, haha).

The 8 to 4 cylinder thing (it's called Active Fuel Management now) is seamless; but it doesn't stay in 4 very long, just a little gas and it's back to 8.

In fact, if I had a complaint, it would be gas mileage. It's a little harder than the Envoy I had, but it's also a bit bigger.

Actually, I just thought of a complaint, the windshield defrost is not as good as I would like. It keeps the middle clear, but the far sides let the snow build up.

Hoping to get comparable mileage to my TB with the Av., I know it will be better than hubby's truck.
Another option is to just sell his (means I get to keep mine) look for a 1500 pick up for him :undecided: but hubby is really liking the Avalanche and like it when he's happy :smile:

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
gr82bCanadian said:
Hoping to get comparable mileage to my TB with the Av.,
I saw 24 mpg (us gal) on the 1st trip (NB to ONT) with the '05 Envoy; after changing out the OEM tires, the trip mileage dropped to 21 (maybe 22 on a good day).
The 1st Ont trip with the Av, came in at 20 mpg and it still has the OEM tires.

The 8 to 4 cylinder change never happens around town, but I can average 15 to 16 mpg, about the same as the Envoy (and again, using a us gal)

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
gr82bCanadian said:
If its a lift, I don't think that will happen, hubby won't let me lift the TB (which is mine), pretty sure he won't with the Avalanche (will be ours, he will have even more say :frown: )

Was thinking more like a safety device visible from the rear of the vehicle, meant for the Avalanche, that a handful of us have put on our SUVs with a minor modification. :wink:

gr82bCanadian

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
RayVoy said:
I saw 24 mpg (us gal) on the 1st trip (NB to ONT) with the '05 Envoy; after changing out the OEM tires, the trip mileage dropped to 21 (maybe 22 on a good day).
The 1st Ont trip with the Av, came in at 20 mpg and it still has the OEM tires.

The 8 to 4 cylinder change never happens around town, but I can average 15 to 16 mpg, about the same as the Envoy (and again, using a us gal)
Was your Envoy the I6 or the V8? on a good day going to town I get 20ish miles to the (US) gallon with my TB (V8), I'm ok with that. Sounds like to me the Avalanche will do pretty much the same :smile:
I understand the cut down to 4 cylinders will only be on highway cruising and that's ok, we live 30 miles from the city, 95% of our mileage in highway :smile:

Blckshdw said:
Was thinking more like a safety device visible from the rear of the vehicle, meant for the Avalanche, that a handful of us have put on our SUVs with a minor modification. :wink:
Well :undecided: that I may be interested in......may need more details :biggrin:

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
gr82bCanadian said:
Was your Envoy the I6 or the V8?
It was the six.
I completely blame the tires, the mileage dropped as soon as I installed them and never changed after that. I needed a tire with a little more ability in snow than the OEMs and I knew going in, that it would cost me mpg.
I did bump up the pressure (to 35 psi) and gained back about 1 mpg (I increased the pressure because I was getting a little uneven wear).

But, knowing that they are big trucks and that they will use a little gas removes the "surprise" after the first fill.

gr82bCanadian

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Just thought I would throw down an update/rant on our Avalanche decision.

This was a very tough decision for me, I love my truck, and hubby's truck is like new and very low KM. He finally had me convinced to do this venture, I was ready to start posting ads to sell the trucks, we had our eye on a couple Avalanches we both really really liked (that I was willing to give up the TB for). I was thinking maybe it would be nice to have a newer truck with lower KM's than mine.
Then, the love of my life, just kinda stops talking bout it....soooo....I ask him "so are we doing this?", to which he replies "no, I don't think so, I like my (meaning his) truck too much, and with the mileage so low...." blah...blah...blah :mad: End of story :mad:

He does this ALL the time, has an idea....tells me about it.....I don't think its a good idea.....he keeps on about it.....finally I cave to the idea....I get my heart set on it....BAM....he changes his mind :hissyfit:

Is this a "man" thing or just him? :confused:

Input is welcome here :crazy:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
gr82bCanadian said:
Just thought I would throw down an update/rant on our Avalanche decision.

This was a very tough decision for me, I love my truck, and hubby's truck is like new and very low KM. He finally had me convinced to do this venture, I was ready to start posting ads to sell the trucks, we had our eye on a couple Avalanches we both really really liked (that I was willing to give up the TB for). I was thinking maybe it would be nice to have a newer truck with lower KM's than mine.
Then, the love of my life, just kinda stops talking bout it....soooo....I ask him "so are we doing this?", to which he replies "no, I don't think so, I like my (meaning his) truck too much, and with the mileage so low...." blah...blah...blah :mad: End of story :mad:

He does this ALL the time, has an idea....tells me about it.....I don't think its a good idea.....he keeps on about it.....finally I cave to the idea....I get my heart set on it....BAM....he changes his mind :hissyfit:

Is this a "man" thing or just him? :confused:

Input is welcome here :crazy:

When he mentioned this, did you tell him you were willing to (gasp) give up your TB for it? Or was he wanting to have the new truck for his DD regardless? All of the guys I know who would be so gung ho about a big purchase like that, who decide not to go through with it (including myself) only do so, cuz something better comes along to buy instead. :crazy:

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
could be a little of both, man thing and him.

as you stated in your op.
"If we do decide to take the leap, it means going from a 2 vehicles down to one (this is the factor holding me back)"

probably the more he thought about it, the more he disliked the idea of only 1 vehicle.
for me it would be tuff to share a car or truck w/ my wife.
would feel the loss of freedom that you have, when you have your own vehicle. :twocents:

gr82bCanadian

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
oh he knew how hard it was for me to agree to give up my TB, harder than for him to give up his truck. We agreed the Avalanche had to be have the "wow" factor for sure for us to even consider buying it, the right color/mileage, all the bells and whistles...no compromise for us to give up both of our trucks.
The thing is he hardly drives his, mine is the DD. He knows his would sell 10 times faster than mine, it's like new with super low mileage. With the mileage I have on mine, its a "sell now" or keep it forever, so it was a gonna do it...we have to do it this year, or forever hold his peace....I gues its "forever I get to keep my truck" :biggrin:

gr82bCanadian

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
fletch09 said:
could be a little of both, man thing and him.

as you stated in your op.
"If we do decide to take the leap, it means going from a 2 vehicles down to one (this is the factor holding me back)"

probably the more he thought about it, the more he disliked the idea of only 1 vehicle.
for me it would be tuff to share a car or truck w/ my wife.
would feel the loss of freedom that you have, when you have your own vehicle. :twocents:

I have to admit, it is a relief to know we are still a 2 vehicle household (that doesn't mean he's right lol), even though the Silverado barely gets driven (hence the low KM), it's nice to know I have wheels when mine is in the shop.
So, now since he put me through all this trauma (lol), I am pushing for the dual exhaust mod, and the sub and amp (from my minivan) installed into my truck....least he could do :biggrin: :rotfl:

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
I go about things 1 of 2 ways....
A. I see it and buy it ....or
B. I tend to get "bright ideas" and mull them over and think about them and get feedback from my wife and chew on it some more. Do more research on it and eventually either do it or talk myself out of it.

I usually come out better if I go the B route.
It sounds like your Hubby did the same thing this time.

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
gr82bCanadian said:
I have to admit, it is a relief to know we are still a 2 vehicle household (that doesn't mean he's right lol), even tough the Silverado barely gets driven (hence the low KM), it's nice to know I have wheels when mine is in the shop.
So, now since he put me through all this trauma (lol), I am pushing for the dual exhaust mod, and the sub and amp (from my minivan) installed into my truck....least he could do :biggrin: :rotfl:

is he ever? :rotfl:

check out this thread:
http://gmtnation.com/f98/free-exhaust-1857/

gr82bCanadian

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
navigator said:
I go about things 1 of 2 ways....
A. I see it and buy it ....or
B. I tend to get "bright ideas" and mull them over and think about them and get feedback from my wife and chew on it some more. Do more research on it and eventually either do it or talk myself out of it.

I usually come out better if I go the B route.
It sounds like your Hubby did the same thing this time.

That's hubby exactly!!! ....thank you for clearing this up for me :cool:

fletch09 said:

He always say.... quote "I can be right or I can be happy"....he is a very happy man :tongue:

Thanks for the linky but I think it may be cheaper for me to get one installed here than drive all the way there for a free onw :rotfl: would be a nice road trip.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe102938

Members Online