Look what followed me home!

Discussion in 'Member Builds' started by AWD V8, Oct 1, 2016.

1. AWD V8

AWD V8 Well-Known Member

Well there she be.
    [​IMG]

Not as easy as I thought to drop in. I had to unbolt the mount plates from the engine and poke them into the frame adapters, then lower the engine onto them, jiggle the engine around to reinstall the bolts.

Discovered that the DBW throttle body hits the hood.
    [​IMG]
    I think I can trim the hood reinforcement to clear.

Now onward and upward.

Blckshdw, Reprise and Matt like this.
  2. AWD V8

AWD V8 Well-Known Member

So today I finished tacking my Y-pipe together.
    [​IMG]

The exhaust is pretty straightforward, 2-1/4" from the collectors to the Y-pipe and then 3" from there back. I'm installing a cutout for the track. Using a cheapo generic Walker muffler, nothing special - 35 bucks.

The right side is tight coming off the collector. I've got a 1/2" on either side of the pipe.
    [​IMG]

Scads of room on the left side. Good thing, I've got my fuel lines on that side.
    [​IMG]

Cross member was a breeze. I could have just used some box tubing and drilled a hole for the mount and welded it onto the Jeep cross member. I built a box to the dimensions I needed because I'm installing a driveshaft hoop.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So now I'm starting the wiring.

Blckshdw, fletch09, Matt and 4 others like this.
  3. AWD V8

AWD V8 Well-Known Member

Got my cold air intake almost done. Box is built behind the left headlight. Just needs some paint and it's done.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The PCM is can be removed to quickly to check the status of the air filter.
    [​IMG]

Blckshdw, Matt and Mooseman like this.
  4. AWD V8

AWD V8 Well-Known Member

Small update

I've been working on lots of little bits of this and that.

Welded my O2 bungs on my Y-pipe.
    Welded my exhaust cutout in place.
    Welded a flange on my muffler to attach to the Y-pipe
    Plumbed in my engine oil primer. Pump and tubing mounted. Still needs to be wired to a switch.
    [​IMG]
    Painted my CAI box.
    New front shocks installed.
    Line-lock plumbed but needs to be wired in.
    [​IMG]

Working on my shifter linkage now. I'm wanting to keep the stock Jeep console shifter so that requires a reworking of the linkage, from a 3 speed auto linkage to a 4 speed auto. I'll have to do some work with the geometry to get it right for the travel of the cable.

The weather has got so cold that my minimally insulated garage will not warm up to the point my old body is comfortable. My daily hit a curb when I was out on the ice, bent the front suspension so it's out of commission until I can clear the ice and snow in the driveway to get it into my shop. Have to wait till the weather warms up.

Blckshdw, Matt and northcreek like this.
  5. Sparky

Sparky Moderator

This weather sure puts a clamp on things doesn't it?

6. AWD V8

AWD V8 Well-Known Member

Yup, I'm a warm weather type of guy. In my youth I loved to go snowmobiling and skiing but not so much now. I prefer a hot chocolate in front of a fireplace on times like this.

7. AWD V8

AWD V8 Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm back!

I know it's been a while since I updated but "stuff" has happened. Snow, snow and more snow. Clearing the driveway over and over several times a week for months when I've got severe arthritis is not my idea of a good time! And the cold, even though my shop is heated, it doesn't do well when it's this cold, so I haven't spent much time on my project in the last couple of months. Weather has warmed up in the last week, so, on with the show...

I've been working on the fuel system, exhaust, and shifting.

Fuel system
    This thing has been sitting for many years with a 1/3 tank of fuel in it. I pulled the fuel pump/sender out and looked inside, and what do I see?
    [​IMG]

And the pump and sender.
    [​IMG]

I never gave any thought to trying to restore the tank, bought a new one. The sender I tried to clean things up a bit, hoping to simply install a Walbro pump, but the gauge sender was so heavily gooped up with this stuff that looked like construction adhesive all over it, I bought a new pump/sender to install in the new tank. So the budget is taking another hit.

Installing a fuel reg and new lines leaving just the main steel line and return line. New tank installed with new flexible lines. The old rubber lines to the filter were real bad.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Exhaust is tight. This is the worse part of the swap. The headers are close to the block at the point where the exhaust is closest to the firewall and connects to the Y-pipe. In hindsight I'd cut the flanges off the headers and weld on an extension to drop the Y-pipe connection point lower. But it is what it is.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm using a cheapo muffler, no hotrod sound for me. Only 35 bucks!
    [​IMG]

But you don't see the exhaust cut-out I installed after this pic was taken, ha ha ha

With the close proximity of the fuel lines to the exhaust I fabbed up some heat shields, I'm really big on fire safety.

Cardboard template where the exhaust is closest. Will also protect the brake lines. It wraps right up the firewall and then turns at the top to protect more of the brake lines, fuel lines and the steering shaft universal.
    [​IMG]

Light gauge galvanized steel.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's hard to tell at first, but that heat shield is double walled so I have an air space between the one side facing the exhaust and the other facing the fuel lines.
    [​IMG]

It's difficult to see from this perspective, but if you look between the header pipes and the steering shaft you can see the edge of the heat shield.
    [​IMG]

I'm also concerned about heat around the shift linage, plastic parts, and the plastic harness and wiring.
    [​IMG]

Fabbing a heat shield
    [​IMG]

So today I'm planning on completing the heat shield for the transmission harness and then install the Y-pipe. Then on to the FI wiring.

Mooseman and m.mcmillen like this.
  8. jsheahawk

jsheahawk Well-Known Member

Impressive. Also, that fuel pump was naaaasty!

Capote likes this.
  9. Capote

Capote Gold Supporter

Such a cool build man, surprised I hadn't stumbled upon this sooner :crazy:

AWD V8 likes this.
  10. Reprise

Reprise Silver Supporter

Yep - it's one of the few threads I have an active 'watch' on.

I envy his fabrication / engineering skills. If mine were more developed, I'd have had a career somewhere in the automotive industry for sure, as much as I love cars... :hail:

Tiggerr, Capote and AWD V8 like this.
  11. AWD V8

AWD V8 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys

I'm not making the progress I'd hoped for. Over the winter it was too cold for my, then had to deal with medical issues. Now the weather has warmed up and I got a ton of "spring things" that need to be done, as well as finish this. April 7th our local track opens and I'd hoped that this would be track ready. I doubt I'll even had started it by then. Sa la vie

Capote likes this.
  12. Reprise

Reprise Silver Supporter

Had no idea you were building this for track use. That makes it even more awesome (I used to track an S2000, and dream every so often about getting into Spec Miata - heresy in a domestic truck forum, I'm sure).

Good luck to you w/ the medical issues - it seems that most of us on this board tend to be getting up there in years, and the maladies are increasing with age :sadcry:

Tiggerr, Capote and Mooseman like this.
  13. Capote

Capote Gold Supporter

Oh sweet this lil baddie is gonna be for the track? Wow, that'd be one heck of a sight. Make sure you film your runs at the track in the future when she's all set to go brother.

14. AWD V8

AWD V8 Well-Known Member

Yes it will see track time most Friday nights during the summer here, but it going to be a bit of a sleeper/daily. Of course when I'm feeling the need to be pampered I'll be driving my Envoy.