lights flickering and gauge erratic?

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Figures....all of a sudden my daughter leaves and calls with this? Of course it's like 20 degrees outside too! New Remy alt. 3 mos. ago and I checked battery cables for tightness? PO replaced battery..I think like 3 yrs ago but it did peter out a couple weeks back when I left the ignition key in for 3-4 hrs.?? I charged it up and no problem, though I'm not surea bad battery could/would even produce these types of symptoms anyways.....will further investigate in the a.m. Well, she'll(daughter) really learn to appreciate the TB after driving the S10! lol!

Jakers

Dec 4, 2011
Rockton, Il
I had rapid flickering and voltage gauge fluctuations on my TB a while back. The shop tested the Alt, Batt, Etc and everything checked out ok. On a hunch i bought a new alternator and cured my problems. So if you get it tested and even if their little machines say everything ok. my past experiences pointed directly at the alternator.

jham

Nov 20, 2011
moneypit said:
Figures....all of a sudden my daughter leaves and calls with this? Of course it's like 20 degrees outside too! New Remy alt. 3 mos. ago and I checked battery cables for tightness? PO replaced battery..I think like 3 yrs ago but it did peter out a couple weeks back when I left the ignition key in for 3-4 hrs.?? I charged it up and no problem, though I'm not surea bad battery could/would even produce these types of symptoms anyways.....will further investigate in the a.m. Well, she'll(daughter) really learn to appreciate the TB after driving the S10! lol!

if I recall correctly a fault ignition can cause all kinds of strange symptoms

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Thanks everyone. I drove it to Advanceauto and the gauge was all over but of course it seemed to straighten out once warmed up and there.....It all checked OK so I think at this point I will just go ahead and get another new alternator this week.always something............................

jayd1563

Nov 18, 2011
Wheres Roadie when you need him.....If its the problem i think it is,,its not really a problem.....It has something to do with a cold start and driving off before the system has a chance to do a quick check/ letting it "warm up".....If i hop in my voy and drive off quick i will notice my headlights and voltage gauge dip 3 or 4 times...its not a issue.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
The 2002 and 2003 don't have that secondary air pump.

Also, that only lasts 15-20 seconds.

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
yea and this lasted 15-20 min. of driving. The freaky thing is how it tempers back down once it warms up though I have only driven it once and my daughter 1st noticed it just last night due to the lights flickering(so she describes?) Well hopefully a new alternator will remedy. I was busy today and must admit, I haven't checked the other side of the ground that connects to block or maybe alternator bracket? Time will tell...

hpimichael02

Dec 19, 2011
there is a ground cluster on the passenger side of the truck by the tranny tunnel inside the truck, that may be loose, these were some symptoms that i had and then BAM my key would couldnt out of ignition, its always a good thing to check as a just if thing.

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
hpimichael02 said:
there is a ground cluster on the passenger side of the truck by the tranny tunnel inside the truck, that may be loose, these were some symptoms that i had and then BAM my key would couldn't out of ignition, its always a good thing to check as a just if thing.
Thanks, good to know, anybody got any pics of this ground setup? I did trace ground to block which seems tight to the eye....and threw another Remy alt.on so we should know pretty soon if it's resolved. just seemed like a messed up regulator to me, it had a goldish pulley and ribbed yellowish center(between case halves) the newest was black pulley with black/smooth center with a made in mexico sticker. Two different suppliers????same box.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online