Leaking radiator.

bugeyed

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
I have been smelling Dex Cool for some time now & haven't seen any leaks. Today I noticed that there is coolant sitting along the edge of the plastic top of the radiator. Not sure how it's put together, but it looks like there is an accumulation of right along the area where the plastic radiator cover attaches to the rest of the assy. I don't see anything coming from the cap, top hose or the reservoir line. I am going to look at it tomorrow & would like some idea what may be happening. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
kev

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Try running it up to operating temp for some time and check while its hot? More likely to leak when its hot and pumping.

I smell coolant too. Didn't rinse it out well enough when I changed the water pump, and before with thermostat too. Its gone away.

How much fluid is "missing" from the expansion tank? That's what I would be concerned with if I had a strong coolant smell. My .02

bugeyed

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Level in res. is good. Added a bit the other day. Curious thing. I opened the cap on the radiator when it was cold & the coolant started to rise & started overflowing. It kept coming out, so I put the cap back on. Is this normal? Never happened before. It is pointing slightly down hill but, as I said, I have taken the cap off before & the level stayed below the rim.

kev

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Do you always check it pointing downhill? Unless it was piping hot it should not just flow out-must have been the hill?
I only fill the radiator, or remove the cap, when flushing the whole system. I check and add through the reservoir anytime that isn't a complete refill. That or thermostat or water pump replacement. Park that level and do a cold check. If it is was pointing downhill during coolant level check, you're going to be off

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
If the vehicle was pointing downhill and the reservoir was filled to the proper level, yes, you'll
see the fluid rise in the radiator when you unseal it. The reservoir being higher than the radiator,
the fluid will naturally flow towards the lower level once the system is no longer sealed up.

As far as the leak itself, I'd second checking it hot. The leak will more likely present once the system is
under pressure.

Watch the cap seal, too. I had just a tiny bit of debris get on the cap seal when I serviced my thermostat
(replaced fluid and hoses as well), and under pressure it would squirt fluid out all along the top support plate/fan
housing. Pulled the cap and wiped it down well (it didn't look dirty), checked it for cracks, put it back on, leak
went away.

Good Luck!

Chris

bugeyed

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Thanks, I will check it when hot & see if it's the cap. I've been hoping that the cap was the source of the coolant smell, but haven't zeroed in on it. I guess my res was more full than previously 'cause I have had the cap off before in the same driveway & it didn't overflow.

Thanks,
kev

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhendsbee