LBJs, tie rods and alignment

C-ya

Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
And I ain't talking ex-presidents here. I had been noticing some noise and jarring from the front end recently so I took the TB to the dealer to get it checked out. I remember when I had it in for an alignment that the tech said the LBJs were loose and the alignment wouldn't hold. Since it is warranty work, I'm not sure why I didn't do it then, but oh, well.

I know they are called stealerships for a reason, but damn! LBJs: parts - $242.64; labor - $391.78. Anyone know what the book time on these are? Tie rods: parts - $130.74; labor - $108.83. Alignment - $69.95.

Like I said, it was warranty work or I would have done it myself. No way in hell I'm paying close to a grand for that! Total with tax was $966.34. I'm glad I got that used car warranty when I bought the TB! First time I have ever done that, but this was my first 4WD vehicle and it had over 100K when I bought it. So far, the warranty has replaced the right front hub/wheel bearing, both front sway bar end links, and now the LBJs and tie rods. I think I'm about to break even, albeit at stealership prices.

Warranty doesn't cover my leaking heater core, tho... :frown:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
LBJs suck to do, but those prices are extreme. Glad you got it covered and your pocket was not hurt.

Reactions: Mounce and C-ya

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Why won't the warranty cover the heater core? That is a bitch of a job to replace. Took me a whole day to replace the A/C evaporator.

C-ya

Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Dunno, Moosey. I know that it sucks that they don't. There are a few things they don't pay for. Since it is aftermarket/used car warranty, they can specify whatever they want. If you don't like it, don't buy that warranty.

I am not looking forward to doing it. Guess I'll take a long weekend come spring and get to it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigboylove