Just need an opinion

kjkim93

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
So my mechanic had my car up on the lift, and turned the tires by hand. The right moved well and freely. The lift front tire was slow to revolve. He said that it has to do with a caliper problem. Can i believe his word?

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
kjkim93 said:
So my mechanic had my car up on the lift, and turned the tires by hand. The right moved well and freely. The lift front tire was slow to revolve. He said that it has to do with a caliper problem. Can i believe his word?

Are you familiar with brakes?

A more common issue would be that one or both of the two caliper pins are sticking. Remove and clean then grease em up good. See what happens. Not to say a caliper can not fail, but I have had sticky pins in other rides.
is your ride pulling to the left?

Could be a warped rotor too, have you spun the wheel yourself?

Check and see if one of the brake pads is significantly worn more so than the other.

If the brake pads look fine and the rotor does not rub, it could possibly be the wheel hub bearing. How many miles are you at?

kjkim93

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Playsinsnow said:
Are you familiar with brakes?

A more common issue would be that one or both of the two caliper pins are sticking. Remove and clean then grease em up good. See what happens. Not to say a caliper can not fail, but I have had sticky pins in other rides.
is your ride pulling to the left?

Could be a warped rotor too, have you spun the wheel yourself?

Check and see if one of the brake pads is significantly worn more so than the other.

Yes My car pulls to the left. We thought an alignment was an issue. And i have spun the tire myself. It seems like something is slowing it down. we changed the rotors and pad about 6 months ago. Then the front two was changed after 3 months because it warped. So pads and rotors are still good right now.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Check the pad thicknesses on the left. Is one worn more or pretty even?

Have you cleaned the caliper pins during the brake replacement?

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
kjkim93 said:
we changed the rotors and pad about 6 months ago. Then the front two was changed after 3 months because it warped. So pads and rotors are still good right now.
Any chance it warped after 3mo.s similar to the last?

kjkim93

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Playsinsnow said:
Check the pad thicknesses on the left. Is one worn more or pretty even?

Have you cleaned the caliper pins during the brake replacement?

The left and right pad are worn even. I have never cleaned the caliper pins or my mechanic has never thought to have done it. In fact i never knew it was a problem.

kjkim93

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Playsinsnow said:
Any chance it warped after 3mo.s similar to the last?

Before it warped so bad that I could feel a vibration from the brake pedal. This time no vibration. Only vibration is my tires have to be balanced from a rotation last week.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
kjkim93 said:
The left and right pad are worn even. I have never cleaned the caliper pins or my mechanic has never thought to have done it. In fact i never knew it was a problem.

kjkim93 said:
Before it warped so bad that I could feel a vibration from the brake pedal. This time no vibration. Only vibration is my tires have to be balanced from a rotation last week.

Is there identical wear on the right side? If the right is inoperable it would cause veering to left because left pads are doing all the work.

Check the right side pads for wear and inspect the brake lines for a possible collapsed line. Everything look the same as the other?

Can you compress the caliper piston easily? If you spin a wheel by hand that is being grabbed by brakes you will hear/feel it. Otherwise it would be a wheel hub bearing but that would not cause the veering left on braking.

AND just to clarify, you checked BOTH pads on the driver side and BOTH pads on the passenger side? Said left and right pads. Usually it is an inside/outside pad on the left or right side...

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
From your description, I am assuming you are noticing this "pulling" to the left while driving and not while braking.

If you are "pulling" to the left, you have more rolling resistance on the left than on the right. This might be one of a number of things
- the tires are out of alignment.
- the brake on the left is not releasing (as has been suggested).
- the left axle is binding.
- the left wheel hub is binding.
- the left tire is soft.
- the left tire is bad.

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
I was thinking hub

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Easy way to test the brake theory - take off the caliper, set it and the pads aside, then bolt the wheel back on and see if it spins freely now or not. If so, you know it is brake related. If not, then it is something else like the hub.

Check the slide pins while you're at it. Make sure they move easily.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evenson1

Members Online