Jeep inline 6 vs Trailblazer inline 6

cameronl

Original poster
Apr 5, 2016
South Dakota
Just out of curiosity, how does the Vortec 4.2 inline 6 compare to the Jeep 4.0 inline 6? The 4 liter inline 6 in the Jeeps has often been considered a legendary engine. How does the Trailblazer inline 6 compare? I've never owned a Jeep so I can't compare. Have any of you folks here owned a Jeep with the 4.0 I6? If so, how does it compare?

Reactions: rizzo20

Nexus1155

Jan 26, 2012
I've driven both, but, for reliability sake, I'd say they are pretty close if not the Jeep is better. For all intensive purposes though, I would much rather the 4.2 I6 powerband than a lot of motors. You would have to drive the Jeep to understand, but I think another reason is because how it transfers the power down the driveline as well.

Reactions: rizzo20

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Having owned both, would take the Jeep everyday over the trailvoy. Better all around power, breaks down far less.

The other side of the coin is that the trailvoy has better modern conveniences.

shovenose

Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
The Jeep 4.0 is probably more reliable, simpler, and cheaper to get parts for/work on, but the GM 4.2 runs smoother, has more power, and is far more efficient.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
The Jeep 4.0 is probably more reliable, simpler, and cheaper to get parts for/work on, but the GM 4.2 runs smoother, has more power, and is far more efficient.

DOHC + VVT for the win, here... :thumbsup:

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Almost all of the 4.0s leak like a stuck hog. 4.2s for the most part that I've seen don't leak or have minor leaks. Just a notable mention.

I'd take the 4.2.

Reactions: Capote

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
A 250 straight 6 would be a fair comparison and was adopted way more than the amc engine... and there's a lot out there with sbc conversions too. I've driven two and didn't care for it maybe the modern ones are better but the early 90s variant were nothing worth mentioning imo. They'll both run forever because that's the inherent design of an inline engine but the 4.2 is modern design and from an engineering standpoint way better. That being said a 50 year old engine that can hang around with it isn't too bad in itself.

Reactions: Tiggerr

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The jeep is a sad 190 hp that sucks. Never been a fan of them except that they always run...slowly, but they run forever. They blow for towing anything but a few hundred lbs and even that is noticeable. Add any extra weight or bigger tires and the jeep I6 really shows its lack of power.

The stock 291 HP of my truck is miles ahead. Even with 33s and heavy armor on the stock gearing it felt good. It tows nicely and gets better MPG. Hands down a better engine and they are repeatedly proving to be reliable as the heep engine. Many members are over quarter million miles and counting. At about 180K on my truck I do not worry about the motor at all.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.