Is this the end?

Hatchet

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Just dropped off my truck at the mechanic. Got horrendous noises coming from what sounds like the bottom end of the engine. I'll be waiting for the call tomorrow when they look it over.

But I fear I will be looking for a new vehicle come tomorrow... even if this is the end, it will be the beginning of a new birth. Transforming the Hatchet-mobile into the Hatchet Ryder.

Till tomorrow folks.
porkypigthatsallfolksclkc4.jpg

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Tell them to check the water pump. Don't let them tell you it can't be the pump. Unless they find bearing damage. Torque converters can make a nasty sound when they destruct.

Hatchet

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
I was starting to think torque converter on my way home. But this noise was beyond my capabilities.

Hatchet

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Ok picture this. Take a power drill, attache a u joint adapter and a 12" long socket extension. Put it in a small metal box and turn on the drill to full power. That is what it sounded like. You could hear it idle from a block down.

Hatchet

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Just got the call. Needs a new heart. I couldn't hear to well over the phone. But sounds like he said I blew a few rods and shredded some other parts. Now I got some thinking to do...

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
As cheap as these truck are nowadays..shit ...buy a new used one and throw all your parts on it.
That is if you wanna stay in the 360 lineup.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
I know what you're going through Joe... my new crate motor already took a chit on me...

With how cheap some of the used I6 motors are, I'm sure you can find a nice replacement... if you want to keep yours that Is... iirc, my friend (ghenny440) replaced his motor on his XL and it cost him roughly 600ish for the used motor with around 50-60k ish miles on it...

Hatchet

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Boricua SS said:
I know what you're going through Joe... my new crate motor already took a chit on me...

With how cheap some of the used I6 motors are, I'm sure you can find a nice replacement... if you want to keep yours that Is... iirc, my friend (ghenny440) replaced his motor on his XL and it cost him roughly 600ish for the used motor with around 50-60k ish miles on it...

Where did he find that deal? Local to me they want 1K for a 200k mile engine. If I got out to about 100 miles or so I can find 100k for 700.

I'm thinking about what to do. Any parts anywhere near Chicago is way super expensive.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Hatchet said:
Where did he find that deal? Local to me they want 1K for a 200k mile engine. If I got out to about 100 miles or so I can find 100k for 700.

I'm thinking about what to do. Any parts anywhere near Chicago is way super expensive.

Damn.. yea he definitely didn't pay that much for his... I'm gonna txt him right now and ask him... be back shortly...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
When looking for used engines, also ask for 2002 as most interchange manuals and programs (including car-part.com) will exclude those from searches for a 2003. The only difference between 2002 and 2003 is the oil pan that has an oil level sender which was dropped for 2003. You could either just leave the switch there unplugged or swap the oil pan.

I did find a 100K 2002 engine about 80 miles outside of Chicago on car-part.com for $600 (I used the 60607 Zip).

Hatchet

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Mooseman said:
When looking for used engines, also ask for 2002 as most interchange manuals and programs (including car-part.com) will exclude those from searches for a 2003. The only difference between 2002 and 2003 is the oil pan that has an oil level sender which was dropped for 2003. You could either just leave the switch there unplugged or swap the oil pan.

I did find a 100K 2002 engine about 80 miles outside of Chicago on car-part.com for $600 (I used the 60607 Zip).

I just found one in Racine, WI 107k for 650. bout 50 miles.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Wow, that really blows... And Juan's already messed up?

Busterbrown

Dec 4, 2011
Seeing you're from south Chicago, search around the Detroit area. Don't think you'll find a more robust used car parts market for our 360's than in Detroit. A 3-4 hour drive could net you a nice low mileage inline 6. Car-parts had a 2003 with 49K for $700.

Engine
Chevy TrailBlazer
GOOD TESTED 50K49,000A213$700Jake's Auto Parts USA-MI(Detroit) Request_Quote 313-368-5253 Request_Insurance_Quote

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
That sucks.

How about a 350 swap?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Ehh just drop a new heart in it if the rest of the truck is in good shape. Maybe when doing so you could finally figure out the 4x4 issue too.

How many miles do you have on that thing?

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Hatchet said:
Just got the call. Needs a new heart. I couldn't hear to well over the phone. But sounds like he said I blew a few rods and shredded some other parts. Now I got some thinking to do...

Not trying to make good on your misfortune but can you show us some pics.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
djthumper said:
Wow, that really blows... And Juan's already messed up?

Yea it did man... I posted what happened in the "what did you do to your gmt today" thread...

And Glen texted me back Joe... he got his motor from Ravenna, Ohio at a father/son type junk yard/repair shop... the "new" used motor had 44k miles and he got it for $600... then brought it home to his mechanic and I think he was charged $400 and some change for the installation/labor of the motor and other misc. parts that I can't remember right now...

He also said that there is a website to what he believs is called "I need a part" and supposedly after you type in your info and what you need, these people go out and look for it and call you with the details.. I've never heard of somethin like that before, but just giving you more options...

Maybe you can expand your search and work in some deals for shipping... when I replaced the motor in my then DD Cutlass Cierra, the shop that got the motor for me didn't charge me for the shipping of the new one... maybe it was because I was paying them to do all the work? I'm not sure...

Hope you can find somethin bro... won't be the same not seein you in the TB!

Hatchet

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Busterbrown said:
Seeing you're from south Chicago, search around the Detroit area. Don't think you'll find a more robust used car parts market for our 360's than in Detroit. A 3-4 hour drive could net you a nice low mileage inline 6. Car-parts had a 2003 with 49K for $700.

Engine
Chevy TrailBlazer
GOOD TESTED 50K49,000A213$700Jake's Auto Parts USA-MI(Detroit) Request_Quote 313-368-5253 Request_Insurance_Quote

I'll look into Detroit area.

HARDTRAILZ said:
That sucks.

How about a 350 swap?

Considering buying a car and doing a custom swap. That is on the table as well.

Sparky said:
Ehh just drop a new heart in it if the rest of the truck is in good shape. Maybe when doing so you could finally figure out the 4x4 issue too.

How many miles do you have on that thing?

I'm gunna put a new heart into it reguardless eventually. Its just whether or not I keep the same and keep driving it, or buy a new car and turn this to project car.

gmcman said:
Not trying to make good on your misfortune but can you show us some pics.

When I pick it up after work I will record some video so you can hear it. But I must warn you all. Any true car guy/gal will cry listening to it.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Hatchet said:
When I pick it up after work I will record some video so you can hear it. But I must warn you all. Any true car guy/gal will cry listening to it.

I've cried enough over mine :rotfl:, it might be a relief for me to hear someone else's :raspberry:

On the bright side, we'll have a nice conversation piece at the next big meet since we have things in common now :crackup:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Dude, project it, and throw a duramax/allison in it! :biggrin: Something I've always wanted to do.

Hatchet

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Sparky said:
Dude, project it, and throw a duramax/allison in it! :biggrin: Something I've always wanted to do.

That is actually what the project will be. Well atleast its the plan. But money is the bigger issue. If I end up buying a car to drive, this project will be sitting for a while before I even start looking for an engine.

Unless I will the lottery or get a huge raise, and neither of those are likely.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
Now would be a great time to do a 5.3/6.0 swap

Hatchet

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
[video=youtube;rc27EKhUWds]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc27EKhUWds&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Also I know sideways video. Don't say it.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Hatchet said:
[video=youtube;rc27EKhUWds]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc27EKhUWds&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Also I know sideways video. Don't say it.

Almost sounded like mine did... mine was a little more quiter.. but the same kind of "rattleing" sound came from my bottom end...

any idea what caused it?

Hatchet

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
No idea. So I asked them if it would make any difference if I just replaced the top end and rods. And of course they said no not recommended. What does everyone here think?

Should I try replacing the top end or just replace the whole engine?

Did find a nice 97x for 5k don't know mileage tho

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
All depends on your budget bro... have to weigh if its cheaper to go used motor, or rebuild your original... is the plan in the long run to keep it forever? Become that project you were talkin about in earlier posts? If so, then you might just wanna go with a full rebuild at a reputable shop and refresh everything in there... and if not, just slap a used motor in, drive it, then get rid of it when the time comes...

I know in my case, if I didn't have the warranty, one- the truck would still be sitting lol, and 2, I wouldve built it up (forged, stroked, etc...) because I was planning on keeping the beaSSt forever...

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
Hatchet said:
No idea. So I asked them if it would make any difference if I just replaced the top end and rods. And of course they said no not recommended. What does everyone here think?

Should I try replacing the top end or just replace the whole engine?

Did find a nice 97x for 5k don't know mileage tho

Grab the saab for a DD and pick up a low mileage '06+ engine to gain some HP in the replacment?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yeah that doesn't sound healthy.

With rod knock you likely have a messed up crank. You might be able to turn it, get new rod(s) and bearings, but then you have to size them and all.. probably easier to just drop a low miles JY engine in it by the time you do all that.

Hatchet

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Wow I am a an idiot. I admit when I don't know something. And I have been wrong bout this my entire life. I thought rod knock was caused by the rods lifting the rockers. Never have I been so wrong before in my life. I admit my mistakes.

But now I know what it truly won't and know what I need too do. Thank you sparky, it was what you wrote that made me think I was wrong and correct my error. A new engine well be in the future. Just don't know when :/

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That sounds exactly like mine when I bought it. Swapped the engine with one from an '03 and threw a bunch of money at (it had been abused/not maintained) and now enjoying modding it. It took almost a month for me to do the engine swap in my driveway in the heat of July (love that "through the pan" 4x4). Your crank will be messed up badly and you have metal just flowing everywhere right now destroying stuff. Even if you were to rebuild it, the crank will need to be replaced along with at least one rod.

It may be an option to just keep an eye out for a good deal on a good engine and slowly get what you need to do it later.

Hatchet

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Well we don't have a month to do it in. We are doing it this weekend. A few members are helping me out. Going by Hotness's tonight to start draining the motor of fluids and unbolting everything we can. EricSS is going to be towing me out to Regulators place where he has a extra motor. So hoping to be driving home Sunday.

I miss my vehicle already and it hasnt been a week yet.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Hatchet said:
Well we don't have a month to do it in. We are doing it this weekend. A few members are helping me out. Going by Hotness's tonight to start draining the motor of fluids and unbolting everything we can. EricSS is going to be towing me out to Regulators place where he has a extra motor. So hoping to be driving home Sunday.

I miss my vehicle already and it hasnt been a week yet.

It's amazing how people step up and help each other here :grouphug:

Hatchet

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Short Bus said:
It's amazing how people step up and help each other here :grouphug:

Yea you have no idea. Everyone dropping their weekend to help lil ole me.

DJones said:
So, a mini meet there?

I'm not the one to ask. But here is what it looked like today making sure I got on the trailer. Mite I add just barely fit in there.

a5etymug.jpg

Figure I'd post that before someone else does.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Someone hold my beer, I got this!

Joe, we will have you driving home on Sunday, I am confident in that!

David, your more then welcome to swing by and check out the work. Bring that light bar with you.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
How far is it? Just drive it. I drove my old car with a spun rod bearing for a week and a couple hundred miles, interstate and all :rotfl:

...mechanic said I was lucky to not have launched the piston through the hood :lipsrsealed:

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
Long time, no post, Matt.

I don't think I have any plans that day, so I'll see what I can do. :thumbsup:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Best of luck to you...wish I could help with the suds.

Sure sounds like a rod but just for shi$% and giggles, have you checked the flexplate bolts? Would hate to see you teardown everything under the hood then get to the trans to find some loose bolts.

Only reason I ask is no one mentioned anything yet on what was checked....like metal in oil.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175

Members Online