Is this a strut leaking?

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
We need to put our 02' TB ext into active service for my daughter. I've been hearing the coil spring twang noise a little when turning and some clunk/pop once or twice when stopping? I see a fair amount of fluid below drivers strut today doing a visual & greasing the tie rods(left is old/old lousy boot). Everything above strut is dry-Thank God! seems might be time for new struts/cartidges and prolly upper strut mounts? I know the gm cars were nortorious for that! All the bushings & crap seem original but fine & tight.....any guidance/advice is highly appreciated. Of course we're broke so gotta be frugal & wise with repairs. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1389.JPG
    IMG_1389.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1387.JPG
    IMG_1387.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 16

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I think you're diagnosed it properly. Never actually seen that exact failure, and I've seen a bunch of 'em.

How many miles?

You might avoid the whole spring compression hassle by getting junkyard strut assemblies, or for $150-200 a pair, the pre-assembled struts with upper mounts that Monroe and a couple of other vendors now make.

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Thanks Roadie, yea me either? I read 1 guy here say 20-30 min. a side? That would be nice:smile: and would I just remove that lower pinch bolt or maybe the even lower-next bolt holding the lower link thing/bar to strut? I'll check some local parts pricing.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
My first thought was the power steering lines leaking and dripping down, but given that isn't it then yeah the shock looks to be leaking then. It sure looks rusty.

If you do the "quick strut" route then yeah it goes fairly quick, but I'd still plan on at least an hour each side just to give yourself enough time.

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Yea I remember repairing the P/S lean above-PITA! LOL It seems using Monro completes might be the way to go on this ole girl. Advance wants 206.00 less the usual 40-50.00 off code:wink: but Rock wants 125.00 ea.delivered.........
PS Roadie, its got 170k, we got it with 140k & replaced alot! lol

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
Is there really a quickstrut assembly that would be suitable for the Ext with the more HD springs?.
From what I have read here before it seems like the quickstruts always seems to be to soft compared to stock,and that's on Swb trucks. Would it really be a good idea to put them on the heavier Ext then?.

Just a reminder so you don't get problems later on.

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Yea, On this bigrig I do like the stiffer ride I guess. I also run the 265/65's which really helps glide over the open road:smile: So maybe I should look into the Bilstein cartridges? I'm undoubtly going to need the upper bearing/blate with the "twanging" going on...If I do go this route, I see various parts when shopping? Should I be buying other parts as well? Thanks ps where are people buying the Bilsteins, their not at Rock or Advance?

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
They do make monroe quick struts but plenty of members on here have complained about the ride quality on them because they are so cheap the shocks are not the best quality. I myself replaced all my shocks with bilstein HD shocks and the rear springs are z71 springs and my truck rides like a dream. I always recommend the HD's for anyone who needs to replace shocks. I bought my shocks from shockwarehouse.com they were the cheapest at the times I bought my front and rears and they may still be cheaper than others. Advance and rock do not sell bilstein HD's. When I replaced my front shocks (struts if you want to get technical about it lol) I had also replaced the upper shock mounts with new moog's that I think I got from rockauto if my memory serves me right.

For the work you can get it done so much faster if you have an impact gun. If you don't its still possible but you will be wore out from the cranking necessary on the bolts from being really rusty. My shocks were heavily rusted like yours and it was a PITA to get the damn shock out of the yoke and then another challenge to get the yoke off the bottom mounting bolt. Everything else was super easy. I just used locking pliers to reach in between the spring and top mount to grab the pole of the shock and then used an impact gun on the center nut with the spring compressed to rip it apart. I loaned the spring compressor from advance and oiled the bolts on them with PB blaster and used the impact gun a little at a time on each side. I wrote an post on here somewhere about my process I went through sadly no pics so sorry.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Just a thought:

Would ordering Monroe Quick Struts for V8 SWB truck give a firmer ride on a Truck with the I6? Does the V8 weigh more than the I6?

Also, is the weight on the front of a LWB more than SWB?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Maybe if the part numbers are different. I'll bet that Monroe has a "one size fits all" though as that seems to be their specialty (aka not the best fit but it'll work)

Dec 4, 2011
moneypit said:
Yea, On this bigrig I do like the stiffer ride I guess. I also run the 265/65's which really helps glide over the open road:smile: So maybe I should look into the Bilstein cartridges? I'm undoubtly going to need the upper bearing/blate with the "twanging" going on...If I do go this route, I see various parts when shopping? Should I be buying other parts as well? Thanks ps where are people buying the Bilsteins, their not at Rock or Advance?

You might try ShockWarehouse for the Bilstiens.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I got mine from Autoplicity last time.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
kickass audio said:
They do make monroe quick struts but plenty of members on here have complained about the ride quality on them because they are so cheap the shocks are not the best quality.
No complaints here. I found the ride qaulity to be OEM and it was as easy as new rotors. About 15 minutes for each side. Well worth it.

For the work you can get it done so much faster if you have an impact gun.
X2! I wouldn't even attempt new struts in existing springs witout it.

jpimp

Feb 1, 2013
Another happy Bilstein HD user here...been over a year now.
I got them from summit racing.

DocBrown said:
X2! I wouldn't even attempt new struts in existing springs witout it.
X3!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Bilsteins here too, two years, still happy.

As for the difference between LWB and SWB, all I can say is that the sway bay is bigger on the LWB, which may mean that it could be heavier in the front.

I would imagine that the V8 is heavier than the I6 and the springs are specified for it.

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Thanks all! I've been reading & such & thinking maybe the Monro sensa-trac cartridges & doing rears also since the rebate? money is very tight....then I got the call yesterday from my daughter 60 miles away the ses flashing & truck running rough! So I p/u a bwd coil pack for 48.00 & scanned for a P0302, replaced & still skipping, cleared dtc's reroadtest P0304? So I grabbed another since I did all this repair in adavanced auto parking lot, problem solved...WTF! plus we need tires for winter...on & on it goes..lol

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online