Is there a how-to for uploading images?

GarbeVic

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Somewhere i read we should upload images as .JPG files.
When i upload an image of type .JPG, it tells me it it is not of the proper .BMP file type.
If my image is to big, maybe the message should say that instead?
Did not see a size limit written anywhere yet. Bet there is a size limit, what is it?
What did I do wrong?
If there is a how-to for this for new users, suggest get it up to the top of the FAQ article list.

Finally got my pictures to upload by simply re-saving them as JPG files using Paint. My guess about the size seems to be correct. They are still .JPG files, but are now smaller.

havie22

Dec 4, 2011
I had the same problem! I had to resize before i can upload it here!

Upvote 0

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The drawback for free services is if you lose, change, or abandon your account, GMTN members of the future won't get the benefit of your pics. Then they'll wail and moan about broken links. :frown:

Hosting them here as attachments means GMTN pays the hosting as a service to future members after you sell or trade your vehicle and fall out of love with the platform.

Upvote 0

GarbeVic

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
I have run into the "where did those pics go?" issue before (over at that _other_ forum). So I agree with Roadie, especiallly now that i got the embedd feature to work as expected.
It really is straightforward to put photos in-line in a post.
Seems best to assume my issue was photo file size. I got my photos under the (still-unknown) limit through guesswork.
Dropping this and moving on.

Upvote 0

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
It's been a while since I've used this program (no longer own a Windows computer.... Linux ftw!) - http://adionsoft.net/fastimageresize/ - but I believe it can on the fly convert via drag/drop... As well as resize.

Also, I use imgur for uploading. They have a fairly decent retention policy before auto deletion (at least one image view every three months)... No account required and less ads than imageshack.

Upvote 0

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you still have a Windows XP computer, there is a neat Power Toy you can download from Microsoft called Image Resizer. You just highlight the file you want to resize and select Resize Pictures. Select the size you want and it will save it in the same location. Can also do multiple files at the same time by highlighting them all.
Windows XP downloads - Microsoft Windows

When I went to Win7, I missed this so much that I looked for and found a version that was ported for Vista and 7 and works exactly the same way.
Image Resizer for Windows

Upvote 0

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Upvote 0

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evenson1