Is it my brakes?

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
alright so recently my to has been really bogging down and slowing faster than normal if I let off of the gas, I originally thought it was because of tires being under inflated well after checking pressures today that was wrong so I'm wondering if maybe it could be my brakes rubbing at all times and just fully applying when I hit the pedal cause we I brake it's kind of an uneven slow down it kinda feels like it's worn incorrectly. Please let me know if anyone has had any sort of problems, I did not put the brakes on, tirediscounters did September of 14

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I definitely would inspect the brakes to see how they look.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
They've only been on there for like 25k miles, how long are the pads good for?

You cannot really judge pad wear based on mileage. Just look at the wear mark on the pads themselves to judge how much they have worn/how much life they have left.

freddyboy61

Dec 4, 2011
You should feel the temperature of your wheels after traveling for a while. If the brakes are dragging, the wheels will be hot.

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
I'd get it up to a certain speed and throw it into neutral to see if it still bogs-down. If it does, I'd start with inspecting the brakes, along with all of the suspension components. Any particular odors coming from any of the wheels? Feel excessive heat coming from any of them once you get home from a long ride?

If it doesn't bog-down when in neutral (when up to speed), I'd have the trans inspected.

This is not a true confirmation of what's wrong, it just gives a possible idea of where to look.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Keep in mind the front wheels will be pretty toasty even if they're functioning properly (front does most of the braking) main thing you're looking for is a big difference between one side to the other. Rear will be cooler than front so don't worry about that.

Reactions: MAY03LT

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
I'd get it up to a certain speed and throw it into neutral to see if it still bogs-down. If it does, I'd start with inspecting the brakes, along with all of the suspension components. Any particular odors coming from any of the wheels? Feel excessive heat coming from any of them once you get home from a long ride?

If it doesn't bog-down when in neutral (when up to speed), I'd have the trans inspected.

This is not a true confirmation of what's wrong, it just gives a possible idea of where to look.

Thank you, God I hope it's not the trans..

Keep in mind the front wheels will be pretty toasty even if they're functioning properly (front does most of the braking) main thing you're looking for is a big difference between one side to the other. Rear will be cooler than front so don't worry about that.

Alright I'll have to check

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
After reading this thread, I ordered a brake fluid test strip kit (of 100) and one of these from ebay:
http://ewktool.com/ewkebay/ebay2016/image/Brake-Fluid-Oil-Detection-Liquid-Moisture-Water-Tester.jpg

Probably not going to get a 100% certain reading from it, but anything will help.

Not a bad idea, I've came to the conclusion mine is either brakes rubbing or a wheel hub going bad so I'm gonna have tirediscounters who installed it all a little bit ago look at it

Reactions: djthumper

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online