iPhone compatible scanners

Tiggerr

Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Cool thanks. Searched BlueDriver didn't find anything. Looks to be a pretty good tool, from what I've seen on YouTube reviews. Looks pretty comprehensive.

Looks like sib bought something else. Not BlueDriver.

I'll probably toftt and get one and try it soon. Haven't had any issues, but would be nice to have in toolbox

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
I wouldn't splurge for BlueDriver. It's insanely over priced. I have an iPhone 5 with an eBay dongle that I use OBD Fusion with. Overall, nice set up but as I just found out, OBD Fusion doesn't pick up chassis codes such as "Service '4WD". I did use this set up to pinpoint a misfire in my buddy's Forester.

There's also Dash Command for iPhone users. I haven't tried it but it's another option.

EDIT: Make sure your dongle is wifi as our iDevices don't like Bluetooth signals coming in.

Tiggerr

Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
SnowBlazer said:
I wouldn't splurge for BlueDriver. It's insanely over priced. I have an iPhone 5 with an eBay dongle that I use OBD Fusion with. Overall, nice set up but as I just found out, OBD Fusion doesn't pick up chassis codes such as "Service '4WD". I did use this set up to pinpoint a misfire in my buddy's Forester.

There's also Dash Command for iPhone users. I haven't tried it but it's another option.

EDIT: Make sure your dongle is wifi as our iDevices don't like Bluetooth signals coming in.
This one works with Bluetooth on iOS. Does all modules. Mode6. Live data, shows voltages of sensors real time. For $100 looks like it does quite a bit. I just wondered if anyone here had used it.

One thing I like that it does is give a snapshot of all parameters when you get a code. Tells you what everything was doing at that time of the code

The one Sib got wasn't BlueDriver, it was just a generic ELM sensor of some sort

Reactions: SnowBlazer

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
You can buy whichever one you want, if you wanna throw a bill at a scanner, then by all means go for it. But, you could throw $20 at the one I linked and achieve your goals for $80 less. Torque app also shows a snapshot of data for when the code was set, and shows all live data that is accessible when you put up a gauge for it. I have no idea what mode6 is so it must not be too important.

Both the bluedriver and the generic elm devices with the torque app will show you the same info. The only difference is the bluedriver brand name and their proprietary app. It's up to you.

Tiggerr

Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Do those read abs, trans, airbag, etc? Not too sure what to use as app. Not thrilled with dash command. Of course torque is android only. I've heard a lot of these don't play well with iOS. My phones and tablets are all Apple.

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Just to clarify a little...

You can buy the $100 Blue Driver dongle or the $15 eBay dongle...what it comes down to is the app that you are running with the Dongle that makes a difference. Not sure what's special about the Blue Driver dongle that makes it $100 worthy...comparable Bluetooth software to use on iOS maybe?

Also Torque is an Android only based app. No way to get it on iOS.

If you do get Blue Driver, let us know how it is!

Tiggerr

Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
SnowBlazer said:
Just to clarify a little...

You can buy the $100 Blue Driver dongle or the $15 eBay dongle...what it comes down to is the app that you are running with the Dongle that makes a difference. Not sure what's special about the Blue Driver dongle that makes it $100 worthy...comparable Bluetooth software to use on iOS maybe?

Also Torque is an Android only based app. No way to get it on iOS.

If you do get Blue Driver, let us know how it is!
That's kinda what I was wondering. What do the cheapo readers do that's different, or is it software? Does the adapter matter as to which modules are supported? Abs airbag trans engine etc. or is it the software? Only one I can find for sure that does it all is the BlueDriver. For iOS anyway. Heard torque does a lot but not going to buy and android device just for that, when I have iPads iPhones etc.

Sib

Sep 6, 2014
From what I've read you can get a Bluetooth elm to work with the iPhone but you would have to jail break the iPhone. Seems easy to do but you lose your warranty should anything happen. Also, since we can't get torque or car gauge pro so I didn't other. I originally had OBDFusion app, but didn't like it very much. Response was slow on it. I bought dash command and works great. It does what I need it to.

I have read that some guys buy an android tablet and then get a Bluetooth dongle. You can probably find an android tablet and Bluetooth dongle on eBay for cheaper total cost than the Bluedriver. Don't hold me to that but I can't see the android tablets costing that much. Maybe look at like a 7 inch one.

Tiggerr

Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Sib said:
From what I've read you can get a Bluetooth elm to work with the iPhone but you would have to jail break the iPhone. Seems easy to do but you lose your warranty should anything happen. Also, since we can't get torque or car gauge pro so I didn't other. I originally had OBDFusion app, but didn't like it very much. Response was slow on it. I bought dash command and works great. It does what I need it to.

I have read that some guys buy an android tablet and then get a Bluetooth dongle. You can probably find an android tablet and Bluetooth dongle on eBay for cheaper total cost than the Bluedriver. Don't hold me to that but I can't see the android tablets costing that much. Maybe look at like a 7 inch one.
Snow blazer was saying that OBD fusion won't do chassis codes. Personally not an android fan. I think I'll try the BlueDriver. Hell I can piss away $100 on other dumb shit pretty easy. May as well get something worthwhile lol. Don't need it really anyway at the moment. No issues. Just like to have it in case. Maybe see some baselines since my truck runs fine. That way in the future id have a comparison if I had a problem.

Not sure why you'd have to jailbreak for Bluetooth.....no tellin with Apple. BlueDriver is Bluetooth though. Works without jailbreak.

Reactions: Sib

Tiggerr

Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
SnowBlazer said:
For a hundred bucks, why not just get a real OBDII scanner? If you're set on spending that, I second Sib...get a tablet so you can use it for other things such as school work or office work. :thumbsup:
I have iPads and a spare iPhone 5s already.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
The items that will talk to the Apple devices has their device licensed for use with Apple for the bluetooth connectivity. So you pay extra for that so it will talk to the iPhone.

Tiggerr

Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
djthumper said:
The items that will talk to the Apple devices has their device licensed for use with Apple for the bluetooth connectivity. So you pay extra for that so it will talk to the iPhone.
OIC...makes sense... Not always crazy about the way they do things, but I like apple products. Phones and tablets at least.

Tiggerr

Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Well I received the BlueDriver setup. So far it works well. Nice interface. Easy to use. Has mode 6 support. BUT it's lacking in live data information. Does fuel trims, O2 voltage, etc. but no AFR, vacuum, fuel pressure, trans temp, volts, cat temp,
Seems the android setups like torque do a lot more. Might have to rma and get an android device of some sort.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And also look into Car Gauge Pro for Android. It reads ALL codes, not just P powertrain codes. Best $5 you'll ever spend.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
CGP and yes.

Torque only does P codes but the gauge interface is better. Maybe get CGP for the $5 for its full functionality and use the free Torque Lite version for the gauges.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online