Intermittent RND3 indicator on instrument cluster (P0705 in history)

kawaholic

Original poster
Sep 9, 2013
Apparently this has been going on for a couple weeks now. A few weeks ago I was driving down the road a few miles after I left the house and I hear the doors lock. Didn't think too much of it, wasn't sure if I bumped the switch with my arm or not. Happened a few more times after that. It's gotten much more frequent the past few days.

Just noticed the other day that when I shift out of park, the shift indicator light goes out. The light is always on in park. Last night I discovered that if I shift all the way down to 1 or 2, the light works but it goes out in RND3. The other day when it would eventually come on in D, while driving, it'd stay on in all gears after that. Seemed like it was worse when the truck was cold and the air temps were cold but that might just be a coincidence.

Last night the light kept coming on and going back out while driving. First time I noticed that happening. Something else I found interesting, each time the light went out, I'd put my foot to the floor and the light would come on, then I'd coast for about a quarter mile or so and it'd go out again. Get back in the throttle and it comes back on. Coast some more and it goes out.

The truck feels normal to me. I can't tell any difference in driving or shifting. The only thing I've noticed is the reverse lights don't work when the indicator isn't lit up. AFAIK, everything else is working normally.

No CEL either. I did hook up my scanner and found a P0705 Transmission range sensor A circuit (Park/Reverse/Neutral/Drive/Low Input) in the history.

Any ideas?

TIA, Tom

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
sounds like a bad prndl switch? its bolted to your trans, where the shift linkage connects. looks like this
HPIM1557.JPG

check the wiring going to it for damage, or hit a junk yard and get another, I think the newer ones have one connector, i can't recall right now.

kawaholic

Original poster
Sep 9, 2013
That makes perfect sense but it just seems too easy... :biggrin:

Yup, mine has the single plug.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhenninger

Members Online