NEED HELP Intake manifold broken bolt

crazyelvis3577

Original poster
Oct 13, 2015
Tennessee
Ok here's my issue. I am replacing and engine in my 2003 GMC Envoy and as I was switching over the intake manifold a bolt snapped off in the new engine block. I have drilled it out and just wondering how to get the broken bolt free from the manifold and if it's possible to replace the bolt without having to replace the entire manifold. This is all new to me so if anybody has had this problem and can direct me to where I can get a new bolt and how to replace it would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Something similar happened to me when replacing a fuel injector. I replaced the manifold at the time for good measure. They are rather expensive. I have on left over from my own motor swap with all 10 bolts intact. If you want it, it's yours plus some shipping if you're in the lower 48.

Reactions: Mounce

crazyelvis3577

Original poster
Oct 13, 2015
Tennessee
Something similar happened to me when replacing a fuel injector. I replaced the manifold at the time for good measure. They are rather expensive. I have on left over from my own motor swap with all 10 bolts intact. If you want it, it's yours plus some shipping if you're in the lower 48.

I sent you a message.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If the manifold is fine, you should be able to replace just the one bolt. Should be able to just screw a new one on.

crazyelvis3577

Original poster
Oct 13, 2015
Tennessee
If the manifold is fine, you should be able to replace just the one bolt. Should be able to just screw a new one on.

Hey Moseman where can I find a bolt to fit? These are attached the the intake someway so they don't come all the way out. It's like they have a flange or something on them. They will slide back and forth but won't come completely out unless I'm not pulling them hard enough. The manifold is fine just need to know where to get a bolt and how to get the old bolt out.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's not a flange but a tight fit in the manifold. While pulling on the bolt, just turn it as if to unscrew it and it will eventually come out. New one goes in the same way in reverse. Dealer might have them or a fastener supply store.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Intake manifold bolts get torqued to 89 inch pounds, same as the coil pack bolts. That's not very tight and I would highly recommend a torque wrench mainly to keep the thin seal evenly seated on the intake.

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
It's not a flange but a tight fit in the manifold. While pulling on the bolt, just turn it as if to unscrew it and it will eventually come out. New one goes in the same way in reverse. Dealer might have them or a fastener supply store.
Won't find them at dealer.... Service manual says the cannot be changed individually... Find one at fastener store or the junkyard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online

No members online now.