Instaling PCMofNC trans cooler and have questions please

SpeedUp

Original poster
Apr 15, 2017
McKinney, TX
2008 LS 4.2

I am installing the trans cooler kit from PCMofNC. You would think that since the kit is made specifically for this truck, and they have had this kit for a few years (and it costs $240) the included instructions would have detailed steps, and lots of pics. Sadly, it doesnt.

couple questions-

* How will the hood latch release cable be routed? It is mentioned in the instructions one time, and just says refer to final pic. Which does not show the cable at all.

* What is the best way to route the hoses? Do they go around the sides of the cooler, or under the cooler? Do they stay together or one goes towards passenger side and one goes driver side? I upgraded to the black braided hoses which have the ends already installed, so I hope these are the correct lengths of hose I will need.

I am working on this now, so any advice you have is greatly appreciated.

thanks!

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I have never heard of anyone having to reroute the hood release cable.

All hoses should be routed around the ends to keep it from being exposed.

SpeedUp

Original poster
Apr 15, 2017
McKinney, TX
TY DJ

Got it all plumbed up, crank it up, and my connections at the radiator are seeping bad.

Instructions say to tighten to 140 in lb, which I did. would over tightening them cause this?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Which connections are you talking about? Do you have a pic?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
How far were you able to push the connections on? When I added my aux cooler, I had a rough time getting the transmission connections on. Just barely enough to get the clamps on, and thankfully they didn't leak....

SpeedUp

Original poster
Apr 15, 2017
McKinney, TX
Which connections are you talking about? Do you have a pic?

check the last page, its the 2 connections that screw into the cooler

Attachments

• P-120008BL Front Mount Trans Cooler Black Braided & I6.pdf
    153.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

SpeedUp

Original poster
Apr 15, 2017
McKinney, TX
Blckshdw - this radiator doesnt have the posts to push a hose onto, it has threaded holes. I kind of wish this one did have posts.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
They sure made their kit complicated. I would have used the stock clip type connectors in the radiator with adapters. Where is it seeping from? The threaded part going into the radiator or the threaded part of the hose going into that adapter? I'd take it apart and put some more teflon tape.

For the hood cable, I had to do that with my cooler. I passed through the front of the cooler and into the hood latch. Not a big deal.

SpeedUp

Original poster
Apr 15, 2017
McKinney, TX
TY Moose. I did not have time to take it apart to see where it was leaking from. Hope to have time tomorrow to do this.

One thing I did do that I normally do not is use some of the liquid thread sealant along with teflon tape. Could that be it? I put the liquid on first, then wrap the tape around it

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I honestly don't know but I would have just followed the instructions.

Reactions: SpeedUp

SpeedUp

Original poster
Apr 15, 2017
McKinney, TX
yup - when I take it apart I will do just that.

Hope I didnt hurt the radiator if I put the plugs in too tight

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
TY Moose. I did not have time to take it apart to see where it was leaking from. Hope to have time tomorrow to do this.

One thing I did do that I normally do not is use some of the liquid thread sealant along with teflon tape. Could that be it? I put the liquid on first, then wrap the tape around it

That's probably your problem right there.... never never use tape with liquid sealant... always leaks... at least in my experiences...

SpeedUp

Original poster
Apr 15, 2017
McKinney, TX
Update - tore it back apart last night. The leaking was coming from the AN fittings. The sealant/tape on the exposed threads was clean and dry.

Overall, its a nice kit and pretty easy install, but I probably could have saved $100 and bought the pieces individually..? maybe not

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Oh yes. I saw that kit when I first bought my TB in 2011 and also saw other member's installs so I did my own using a Hayden cooler. I didn't even use adapters, just cut the line and clamped the hoses on the ends. Only thing I would have done differently was flare the ends to prevent the hoses from slipping off and double clamping. One pushed itself off the line when excessive pressure during a -30c morning startup made for an impromptu fluid change on the road.

Reactions: Tiggerr

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ready67

Members Online

No members online now.