Ignition switch .. again, this time with failure while driving !!

SSportWagon

Original poster
Dec 20, 2013
It finally happened - THE IGNITION SWITCH FAILED WHILE I WAS DRIVING !!!

.. Well, not actually moving but stopped at a lite and in gear. The chimes started ringing so I looked at my DIC and it said "Service Brake System" .. Hmm, OK ?? I'll pull into the gas station 50' ahead when the lite turns green and check things out. Light changes and I go to hit the gas and NOTHING - THE ENGINE HAD SHUT OFF (there was construction right next to me so I couldn't hear .. and my tach has been wonky for a few years so that didn't alert me ..)

So, after realizing Im dead, I throw it in park and recycle the key and get nothing (warning lights out) when turned to start but lit otherwise. Tried that several times to no avail .. Im holding up traffic in a construction zone and its locked in park !

This is the fourth time I've changed it in 5 years .. never before has it failed WHILE DRIVING. All other times were while attempting a new start and getting no joy.

I can only imagine what this would have been like if it occurred while blasting down the highway @ 70mph only to realize I've got no brakes or power steering !!

.. eventually the road crew got a bobcat and picked me up by my hitch and rolled me on the front wheels to the gas station. 2 hours later the tow truck showed up, brought me the 2.6 miles home .. had already called the parts store and had the CS643BWD waiting (I even told them the # from memory) .. a quick bike ride and 5 minutes later Im good but ..

WHAT IS IT GOING TO TAKE ? SOMEONE DYING ?? TO GET THIS THE ATTENTION IT NEEDS ?!?!?

Does AC Delco make a replacement part or is it the same BWD piece of CRAP ?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:yikes: Wow man that sucks you had to deal with it like that. Whenever mine's died on me, it's always been while actually driving, except for once when it was at a red->green light. Fortunately for the times I was rolling, I was able to throw it in neutral, refire the engine, shift back to drive and not miss a beat.

Hopefully if you go with the AC Delco one, you won't have to deal with this issue again. I'd say you've certainly had your fill. :yes:

Reactions: Mooseman

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
With repeat failures from that brand I'd definitely veer far away from them. Yikes.

Buff

Mar 1, 2014
I just had this same thing happen, only I was moving. I was able to stop safely (although right in front of a fire hydrant on a corner.) Called a tow truck, driver had no idea how to get the car loaded with it stuck in park. So I had to tear the console apart to manually release it. I just had all the brakes done, new rotors and pads all the way around. So I was thinking it actually was going to be something with them, however there are no visible problems. So Ive spent the last couple days trouble shooting, checking ground connections, battery connections, fuses, fluids, everything. Ive done google searches and tried looking on the old site but my username password combo isn't good there any longer and I can't get a response. My initial searches here weren't getting me what I thought I needed either, but persistence brought me to this thread. I guess another switch has proven unreliable (bought this one at Napa in Glendive, Montana a few years back.) This will be my third switch. has anyone found one that is proven reliable?

Buff

Mar 1, 2014
Well, it turns out to not be the ignition switch this time. Anyone have any other ideas?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Without any further info, we are blind.

Buff

Mar 1, 2014
90% of the time oem will outperform aftermarket. Thus, ACDelco should be the best you can get.

Wouldn't the original have been ACDelco? The only brands available today were dorman, and Borg Warner. I would have had to wait several hour for the dorman so BW it was. I am going to get a spare to keep in the glovebox and Amazon has the ACDelco for half of what the parts store charged for the Borg Warner.

Without any further info, we are blind.

Never mind, it turned out I just missed the boat when I did the original test. It was the ignition switch. However, just out of curiosity, what other information would be needed? I had the exact same thing happen as the OP except I was actually moving.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
However, just out of curiosity, what other information would be needed?

Well, how the switch would have been eliminated as the issue to start and any symptoms that YOU are getting. The OP's may not be exactly the same as yours. That's sometimes the problem with piggybacking on someone else's thread. There could be a subtle difference that can help solve it.

TB_n00b

Dec 19, 2011
Queens, NY
I know this is an OLLDDDD thread, but seems that I had this happen this morning (not the first time, but that time I initially blamed a dying battery [it was] and corrosion on the terminals. also cleaned all of the the grounds under the hood). Was in the last 10 minutes of my drive into Manhattan (yay, no traffic cause of COVID) and went over a few ramped manholes and suddenly the chimes started, the emergency brake like turned on, the stabilitrak light turned on, got a stabilitrak/traction control off message and "check brakes" message. Car kept running thankfully. Guess I've gotta attack the ignition switch now.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online