I need tire help please

ChriSS K

Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
It's time for new shoes. I currently have the Michelin Lat Tour HP's. Which have been very nice, but I'm thinking here in the NE after the winter we just had I might want some better grip. I really like the michelin ltx ms/2, but I don't see my size. Is there a size close to ours that's still safe? This is my daily family ride so keep that in mind. What tires would you suggest? If I have to adjust the speedo I can thru HP turners.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
ChriSS K said:
It's time for new shoes. I currently have the Michelin Lat Tour HP's. Which have been very nice, but I'm thinking here in the NE after the winter we just had I might want some better grip. I really like the michelin ltx ms/2, but I don't see my size. Is there a size close to ours that's still safe? This is my daily family ride so keep that in mind. What tires would you suggest? If I have to adjust the speedo I can thru HP turners.

What is your definition of 'safe'? If you mean no smaller than stock, but not so big that you have to address the UBJ issue, then this might help.

Shdwdrgn said:
One thing that always bugged me about TV was the lack of any kind of quick-reference chart for the tire info. I have a chart I made some time back to compile the info I found at the time, perhaps this could be of use?
Code:
          |          | *Wheel  | Wider | Upper ball | Spring | Body | Cutting &
Tire size | Diameter | spacers | rims  | joint mod  |  lift  | lift | hammering
----------+----------+---------+-------+------------+--------+------+-----------
245/70-16 |  29.5"   |         |       |            |        |      |
255/70-16 |  30.1"   |         |       |            |        |      |
245/75-16 |  30.5"   |         |       |            |        |      |
265/70-16 |  30.6"   |         |       |            |        |      |
285/65-16 |  30.6"   |   ?     |   ?   |            |        |      |
255/75-16 |  31.1"   |   ?     |       |     ?      |        |      |
265/75-16 |  31.6"   |   X     |       |     ?      |   ?    |      |     ?
285/70-16 |  31.7"   |   X     |   ?   |     ?      |   X    |      |     ?
285/75-16 |  32.8"   |   X     |   ?   |     X      |   X    |  ?   |     X
255/85-16 |  33.1"   |   X     |       |     ?      |   X    |      |     X
----------+----------+---------+-------+------------+--------+------+-----------
245/65-17 |  29.5"   |         |       |            |        |      |
255/65-17 |  30.1"   |         |       |            |        |      |
245/70-17 |  30.5"   |         |       |            |        |      |
265/65-17 |  30.6"   |         |       |            |        |      |
255/70-17 |  31.1"   |   ?     |       |     ?      |        |      |
245/75-17 |  31.5"   |   X     |       |     ?      |        |      |     ?
265/70-17 |  31.6"   |   X     |       |     ?      |   ?    |      |     ?
255/75-17 |  32.1"   |   X     |       |     X      |   X    |      |     ?
265/75-17 |  32.6"   |   X     |       |     X      |   X    |      |     ?
305/65-17 |  32.6"   |   X     |   X   |     X      |   X    |  ?   |     X
285/70-17 |  32.7"   |   X     |   ?   |     X      |   X    |  ?   |     X
285/75-17 |  33.8"   |   X     |   ?   |     X      |   X    |  ?   |     X
305/70-17 |  33.8"   |   X     |   X   |     X      |   X    |  ?   |     X
* Using rims with an incorporated offset is preferred over using wheel spacers
? May require this mod, depending on the particular tire used

I've been trying to think of some way a chart could be linked to useful information, and I have an idea... Would it be possible to create 'hidden' sub-forums under the off-road section, using a tire chart as the starting point? So for instance, someone brings up a chart (using mine as an example), and they see that if they want to install 265/70-17's there may be some cutting involved. From here, they would click on the tire size, and it would take them to a forum that only discuses the 265/70-17 tire (lifts, wheel-spacers, body mods, and of course pictures).

I just noticed over the past year that this seems to be THE most common question that comes up in the off-road section, and since we're starting from scratch here, maybe this problem can be tackled before it becomes a problem?

* As a final note... THANK YOU for choosing a forum software that allows me to paste a block of fixed-width text! I was never able to do this on the old site.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I had the Forteras and Lat Tours, but neither performed as well as my Cooper Discoverer LSX plus tires in the snow.

They have a more aggressive tread pattern, but not like A/T tires and no road noise on the highway. I would say they are in between regular road tires and A/T tires.

A great all season, all around good tire in the snow, rain, sand, and mud. I have yet to be stuck anywhere with the Coopers. :twocents:

Dec 4, 2011
dmanns67 said:
I had the Forteras and Lat Tours, but neither performed as well as my Cooper Discoverer LSX plus tires in the snow.

They have a more aggressive tread pattern, but not like A/T tires and no road noise on the highway. I would say they are in between regular road tires and A/T tires.

A great all season, all around good tire in the snow, rain, sand, and mud. I have yet to be stuck anywhere with the Coopers. :twocents:

:thumbsup: I agree I really like my Cooper CTS's. they were OK in the snow but they are NOT snow tires, so also purchased a set of Bridgestone Blizzak DMV-1. These do work in the snow but will change back to Coopers soon when snow is gone.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chadla11

Members Online

No members online now.