I have a radio harness specific question (yes, I searched first)

robbiegreene508

Original poster
Jul 14, 2015
I actually just found the forums because I was searching my different harness/interface options... And yea, I specifically checked here. I just bought my 02' Envoy, actually my first GMC... Glad I found the place!

The problem I'm having is I know, a common one here; getting the right interface!! But the stereo I have does NOT have a wired remote that I can see/find (even in their booklet + website). I sent a question to the Manufacturer techs, but I'm sure I won't get a reply for two months.

Anyways, here goes... What are my options? I have an 02' Envoy SLT with Bose (pretty sure amplified, although don't know how to decode or where to check to verify!?), chimes, OnStar, Rear seat audio/entertainment (or whatever its called), and steering controls. I bought a Boss BV9600 single DIN motorized DVD/CD/RADIO player (NO Bluetooth,USB, sd card or aux input!). It has 2 rca outputs for all four speakers (can go straight to an amp, but no sub control or sub output), backup camera input, video input and one pair of audio/rca inputs originally intended for the Dual TV tuner (which I plan on using a few rca y-connectors to add multiple inputs including an aux for my phone). There is also the regular wiring harness with the usual; 4 speakers (8-wires), parking/ebrake (for "safe" DVD playing), reverse gear (for backup), a "lamp in", antenna power, etc. I DONT see anything related to wired remote... but it does have an infrared remote, is there a compatible interface or a way to wire this stereo to work with a steering control retaining interface?!?!

So... I'm trying to figure this all out. I don't want a cheesy steering wheel remote that zip ties to my wheel for the infrared. I know its an option, but not for me. I'll just use the actual remote.

I also don't subscribe to OnStar. I'm not sure if i even can, or if the technology has changed since 02' and the setup doesn't even work? It's not that I even want it... If its operable, it'd be nice to " be able to" use it if I ever want to.

Door chimes, memory power or "R.A.C.", Rear seat volume for the kids, and the Bose amp I'd like to keep...

So, my options are.... ??? If I can't make wheel controls work with my new stereo, so be it... If there's a specific infrared kit, or adapter, please let me know the specifics... And OnStar is great, but losing isn't a complete deal breaker... Thanks in advance. (and also, part/model numbers of the different harnesses/interfaces/kits if you know them so I can check the different models/prices would be great, thanks!). I look forward to getting to know some of you around here...

robbiegreene508

Original poster
Jul 14, 2015
Thanks for the reply Mounce... I was wondering if I was looking for an "amp remote" wire, or from what I was understanding when I read "wired remote wire" on the different forums/directions, and since we are talking about an actual "remote" and steering "controls", I honestly thought a dedicated "remote control" wire was what I needed from these newer stereos these days.... Needless to say its been a while since I was into the stereo scene... DUH on my part

and NO, I don't have an amp/emote wire now that you mention it... all those rca outputs for speakers and NO DEDICATED AMP turn on... ALTHOUGH, I do have an "Antenna Power" wire, which is probably an intended purpose, just a bad choice by Boss for wire labeling. I don't see why I couldn't use that as my remote/steering control or amp wire, right? It does the same thing.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
It'll just turn positive when you turn the radio on. It's for the antennas that extend and retract. I'm not sure if it'll stay powered anytime the radio is on or if it's only powered during fm radio use, you'll have to get a multimeter or test light and check it. If it's constant on as long as the radio is on you'll be fine using it for your remote turn on line.

Gotta blame Boss on this one, their products are of pretty low quality but I'm not hating on you for getting it, I've also ran a Boss product or two due to the price factor.

What are your desired functions of the radio? Just basic functions + DVD? If just basic radio without DVD you could return it and get a better one but if DVD playback is of your priority you might be stuck with it because most other brands will be a little jump in price.

robbiegreene508

Original poster
Jul 14, 2015
Now that we have THAT settled... whats the best interface (or a few options) to allow/retain steering controls, Bose amp, chime, OnStar, rear entertainment/volume, R.A.T./memory, etc? And the best (cheapest) place to buy it?

And to those of you who have torn into your dash for stereo setups, do I REALLY need a dash kit and pocket to go Single din from the OEM double? Is it possible to use/cut a piece of plexi instead, or does the kit include needed brackets, maybe create a cool LED background around the stereo,or.??

Thanks again for the replies!

robbiegreene508

Original poster
Jul 14, 2015
Good call on the power during radio use only... Ill make sure to check that out. If that IS the case, can I splice into something else that I mentioned that'll do the trick?!?

As for the Boss.. it wasn't "planned" perse. I also have a Subaru Forester XT (tuned sti motor, coilovers, etc). I was looking for a dvd in dash to run my OBD2 bluetooth for diagnostics and for when tuning opensource with a laptop. I came across this on ebay and basically STOLE it, DIRT cheap... I got it despite not having bluetooth (the only thing I NEEDED besides a monitor), but I figured for the savings Id get a bluetooth to tie in. I actually decided against it all, removing all the Subaru stereo equipment, and installing a Windows tablet in the dash. It covers both needs and eliminates my laptop, I can tune on the fly without the laptop sliding around everywhere... So when I bought the Envoy, I figured I had a good use for it (have 4 kids and the rca headrest monitors), plus the wife wanted a backup camera, etc. Its not so much the price, or buying a new one, its the principle that I have it already and its really more for entertaining the kids than my benefit. Maybe someday down the road I'll upgrade. I just care more about not ruining the decent OEM setup already in the Envoy!!!

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
With your radio setup, to get steering wheel controls to work, most radios that have an input that is like a headphone input but smaller. If you give us your model number of the radio, I can see if it supports it as an input. Generally speaking most dvd players have it but being that your radio is low end, it may not.

For your amp turn on, you will have to use the antenna wire you mentioned. It functions the exact same way as a remote turn on. It is just another name for it.

With the dash kit, you could use the metal bracket the radio comes with and fold the tabs in the dash so it is tight and won't let the radio flop around and use some plexiglass to fill the void of the other half of the DIN but you will definitely see the side of the radio a little bit where the metal cage is. I didn't care about that when I did mine so I just added the ears on the side of my double-din radio and screwed them to the radio and then to the dash.

For your wiring harness, you will not get out of this one cheaply. Since you have a bose setup, with onstar and steering wheel controls, you will be paying way more than I did since I have no bells and whistles like yours and have a plain radio. You will need the Metra GMOS-014 (for use with rear seat entertainment, onstar, retained accessory power, door chimes), a Metra ASWC-1 (for vehicles with OEM steering wheel controls for the radio), and a Metra 40-GM10 (antenna adapter since the OEM antenna size on our truck is smaller than that on the radio).

If you get the Metra GMOS-014 adapter, it does feature a 12v switchable output that works the same as the remote on wire for the radio which turns on and off with the radio. I personally would just stick with the antenna output wire on your radio. I know for a fact that it works the same as a remote output lead on a radio that turns amps on and off. The reason some radios have 2 of these leads is because it allows you to basically split the load on the radio. For example most radios only output 250mA of current on the remote wire so if you have 4 amps and a power antenna, you will have issues where not all your amps will turn on or your antenna will not go up since you exceeded the current output of that wire. It is an easy fix by either using a relay to close when energized and apply more than 250mA of current to the amps and antenna or you can split the load between the antenna and remote leads.

robbiegreene508

Original poster
Jul 14, 2015
Wow K.R., thanks so much! I should also ask if it matters that my Oem stereo is RDS? Does that change my options, require another adapter, and if not, will my new stereo still display the radio info (song, singer, info display) that my stock one does?

Also, I should in fact verify I have an amplified Bose vs. regular non amp Bose, right? Easiest way to go about checking?

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
RDS is just the stupid feature that reads the artist name, song name, etc over FM radio. It isn't anything special and some aftermarket radios come with it. I really don't know if your radio will display that info. It is a rare feature with aftermarket radios but my co-worker has it on his Pioneer unit I wired up for him in his envoy. That feature is dependent on the model radio you pick, yours probably doesn't support it.

I do not believe there is such a thing as a non-amplified BOSE setup on these trucks. They all are amplified when it has a BOSE setup. The only one that isn't amped is my truck with the normal 4 door speakers, no on-star and no steering wheel controls. One way to know for sure aside from the radio and door badges are to look down on the dash just before the windshield. You will see round slots on both sides of the dash when you look down on it through the windshield. If you see a speaker in there, you definitely have an amplified BOSE setup as normally if you do not have a BOSE setup, no speakers are installed in the dash (unless you put them there like I did for 2 of my 4 tweeters lol). Your amplifier if you wish to look for it is in the rear passenger side quarter panel. I wouldn't pull it off to make sure because I know for a fact you have it.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just so you know, the OnStar in your truck is analog and therefore cannot be used unless you replace the module to go to digital because there are no more analog cell providers. So unless you really want OnStar, you shouldn't worry about it.

The GMOS' have better features and the chimes come through the speakers with an adjustable volume, just like stock, and can integrate OnStar but the quality is lacking. I've had a couple GMOS-04 die on me. And RSE is only available on their high end (read "expensive") unit.

The PAC units are much better quality but the chimes really suck. They use a small loud and tinny speaker in the interface itself and is not adjustable. I am currently using a PAC RP4-GM11 and am satisfied with it. It retains RSE but not OnStar (but who cares about OnStar anyway?).

robbiegreene508

Original poster
Jul 14, 2015
Well thanks a ton guys!!! So I'm guessing the gm2000a interface at Walmart just won't cut it!? Lol. I've been staring at it, but it doesn't give any specifics as far as what you lose, retention, even compatibility is iffy...

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
Mooseman said:
The GMOS' have better features and the chimes come through the speakers with an adjustable volume, just like stock, and can integrate OnStar but the quality is lacking. I've had a couple GMOS-04 die on me. And RSE is only available on their high end (read "expensive") unit.

The PAC units are much better quality but the chimes really suck. They use a small loud and tinny speaker in the interface itself and is not adjustable. I am currently using a PAC RP4-GM11 and am satisfied with it. It retains RSE but not OnStar (but who cares about OnStar anyway?).
The RP5-GM11(what i used) has a volume adjustment for the chime volume located on the CMX chime module. Looked at the manual for the RP4-GM11 and i wish the RP5 also allowed you to assign two functions to one steering wheel button. I also like how the RP4 has RCA inputs. The RP5 does not but it will support a non amplified input. I rushed through the install and did not have a pair of RCA cables on hand to sacrifice so i used the speaker outs on the head unit. I may try connecting it to to the low level output when i get around to running the wire for the rear camera.

robbiegreene508 said:
Good call on the power during radio use only... Ill make sure to check that out. If that IS the case, can I splice into something else that I mentioned that'll do the trick?!?

As for the Boss.. it wasn't "planned" perse. I also have a Subaru Forester XT (tuned sti motor, coilovers, etc). I was looking for a dvd in dash to run my OBD2 bluetooth for diagnostics and for when tuning opensource with a laptop. I came across this on ebay and basically STOLE it, DIRT cheap... I got it despite not having bluetooth (the only thing I NEEDED besides a monitor), but I figured for the savings Id get a bluetooth to tie in. I actually decided against it all, removing all the Subaru stereo equipment, and installing a Windows tablet in the dash. It covers both needs and eliminates my laptop, I can tune on the fly without the laptop sliding around everywhere... So when I bought the Envoy, I figured I had a good use for it (have 4 kids and the rca headrest monitors), plus the wife wanted a backup camera, etc. Its not so much the price, or buying a new one, its the principle that I have it already and its really more for entertaining the kids than my benefit. Maybe someday down the road I'll upgrade. I just care more about not ruining the decent OEM setup already in the Envoy!!!
Are the headrest monitors aftermarket? Assuming so since the RSE DVD player is mounted to the roof. If they have an RCA audio out then take that right to the head unit.

robbiegreene508 said:
Well thanks a ton guys!!! So I'm guessing the gm2000a interface at Walmart just won't cut it!? Lol. I've been staring at it, but it doesn't give any specifics as far as what you lose, retention, even compatibility is iffy...
That will do what you want. But you will have to tap directly for the reverse and brake(i would just ground the brake myself). Neither are difficult to find. http://www.scosche.com/downloads/dl/file/id/408/gm2000_instructions.pdf

For the steering wheels controls the only option i know of is the PAC SWI-X. It uses and IR LED to communicate with the radio. You will lose the control function on the RSA controls such as seek/track skip and source. Fairly certain the volume control for the knobs will be retained. You will be stuck listening to what the kids are watching since the head unit does not support dual zone. Fade the audio to the rear if you do not want to listen to what they are watching.

The connection to the steering wheel controls will be made in a harness under the steering wheel column. Instructions for that are on PAC's website but your radio is not listed. I think it will work though. The instructions on taping into the steering wheel controls under the dash. http://www.pac-audio.com/SWI/SWIAppGuide.aspx?appguideid=98&swiModel=Envoy&swiYear=2002&swiMake=GMC&swiProduct=SWI-X&swiRadioManu=Advent&swiOptions=%28rear%20controls%20not%20supported%29

robbiegreene508

Original poster
Jul 14, 2015
I went back to Walmart to again stare at the gm2000a and it does list the features... While it looks like OnStar is out of the equation, this will still require a new amp, correct? What size 4 channel is best for stock speakers? And say I add a "PAC" interface (or one without steering control retention) now to get the stereo in, and plan to add the steering interface later... Can I use a Metra brand steering harness with a PAC main harness, or vice versa, or mix and match any... or are they all very specific, including antenna adapters?

Ok, we are narrowing down the fields... Take away OnStar. Whats the easiest/cheapest harness to install my stereo and retain Bose, Chime (whether external box OR oem speakers), and steering/rear controls?

Whats the cheapest option if I say screw the controls? Im going to a junkyard this weekend, what other vehicles use the same harness that I should maybe keep an eye out for? Yukon, Escalade, Tahoe, S-10, etc?

Sorry, I'm getting so Back Asswards looking up all these different harnesses, interfaces, adapters... I tried writing them all down. Lost it. I really wish there was a good breakdown list/spreadsheet of the options.

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
robbiegreene508 said:
I went back to Walmart to again stare at the gm2000a and it does list the features... While it looks like OnStar is out of the equation, this will still require a new amp, correct? What size 4 channel is best for stock speakers? And say I add a "PAC" interface (or one without steering control retention) now to get the stereo in, and plan to add the steering interface later... Can I use a Metra brand steering harness with a PAC main harness, or vice versa, or mix and match any... or are they all very specific, including antenna adapters?
I did not think about the bose amp in my previous post. If the input to the bose amp from the head unit is too high then use a Low Output Converter(LOC) to reduce the speaker level outputs to an acceptable level to the bose amp, or try and use the preamp outputs on the head unit. Problem with the preamp outputs on the head unit is that they are only 2v and probably will not give you enough volume.

The speaker impedance of the bose speakers are 2ohm in the rear doors, 4ohm in the dash, and 1ohm in the front doors. Good luck finding an amp that will work. Better off replacing the speakers if you want to use an amp.

The head unit you are utilizing does not support a wired steering wheel interface. PAC SWI-X is the only option i know of that may work with the head unit selected. It is a stand alone unit that ties directly into the steering wheel control wire under the steering column. Does not connect to the main harness except for power. Communicates to the head unit via IR. You can install it with what ever.

You will need one of these for the FM antenna. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_12040GM10/Metra-40-GM10-Antenna-Adapter.html

robbiegreene508 said:
Ok, we are narrowing down the fields... Take away OnStar. Whats the easiest/cheapest harness to install my stereo and retain Bose, Chime (whether external box OR oem speakers), and steering/rear controls?

Whats the cheapest option if I say screw the controls? Im going to a junkyard this weekend, what other vehicles use the same harness that I should maybe keep an eye out for? Yukon, Escalade, Tahoe, S-10, etc?

Sorry, I'm getting so Back Asswards looking up all these different harnesses, interfaces, adapters... I tried writing them all down. Lost it. I really wish there was a good breakdown list/spreadsheet of the options.
You already found the least expensive one at walmart. You could search online and possibly find it for less.

Looking for a junker that may have the main harness adapter for an aftermarket head unit left in it. Check out the "All Application's" tab. Should be the same for nearly every harness. http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=1170&CategoryID=26

NateDG

Oct 30, 2014
Normal, Illinois
Mooseman said:
Just so you know, the OnStar in your truck is analog and therefore cannot be used unless you replace the module to go to digital because there are no more analog cell providers. So unless you really want OnStar, you shouldn't worry about it.

My PAC device (RP5-GM11) doesn't utilize the cheesy chime module, for whatever reason. My chimes still come from the dash speaker as they originally did.

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
NateDG said:
My PAC device (RP5-GM11) doesn't utilize the cheesy chime module, for whatever reason. My chimes still come from the dash speaker as they originally did.
Do you recall where you bought it from? My RP5-GM11 has a chime module but i would rather it come through the speaker.

NateDG

Oct 30, 2014
Normal, Illinois
DAlastDON said:
Do you recall where you bought it from? My RP5-GM11 has a chime module but i would rather it come through the speaker.
I got it on amazon. It came with the chime module, just for some reason, in my application, I didn't need it. The chimes continued to come from the speaker. I think it has something to do with the type of factory amp you have. There is something called "Lux" and something that isn't that haha. I can't remember the name of the alternative.

There is a wealth of information floating around about the specific build codes on the sticker in your glove box about the specific options your particular truck was has. Look up some of that information and it'll tell you which stereo rig you have.

Reactions: Mooseman

NateDG

Oct 30, 2014
Normal, Illinois
DAlastDON said:
Factory amp is not the LUX amp. That explains it.
I think that was the case with mine, too. I think that's why I still have chimes through the speaker. I can't speak much on the rear entertainment system tho because I haven't personally used it and my kids all use their phones or tablets or whatever the hottest gadget on the market is.

What I can definitely confirm is that my RAP, SWC and OnStar are all working. I have the UQA build code too, if that helps ya any.

robbiegreene508

Original poster
Jul 14, 2015
Ok, I'm seriously confused... And truly broke financially, lol, so let me please ask this last question... If I'm unable to use OnStar because its analog anyways, and I'd like to redo the whole stereo in the future, but for now, I have higher priorities and really just want to get the video in the Envoy for the kids (we regularly drive 200 miles almost every weekend to see family)...

I was originally under the impression that the gm2000a is going to force me to lose my stock setup, which is Bose. I'm not sure what the difference in Bose stereos are, although I believe mine is amp'd (I have the dash speakers and not empty holes). Then I was searching the Scosche website for other possibilities that they offer. It only lists the gm2000a for it (02' Envoy). But in the description (notice it also says gm2000,NOT 2000A), it says the following (copied and pasted from Scosche site:smile: ***The GM2000 General Motors Interface allows you to retain existing safety features, warning indicators and other functionality when upgrading to an aftermarket radio. GM2000 preserves a healthy status in internal diagnostics by sending the proper data commands to your vehicle's ECM (Electronics Control Module). GM2000 works properly with factory systems with OnStar and Standard Bose (OnStar use will be disabled after GM2000 is installed). Also includes: a red +12V switched accessory power source for aftermarket stereos. *Includes harness ***

I know I'll lose what I originally wanted to keep, but I'll just put a new adapter in the budget for the new stereo when I get to it... But WHAT GIVES!? Will I need to run a new amp, or will this work with my existing setup and new headunit? I'm really "confuzzed", please, what's the general consensus? Has anyone actually used one with a definitive answer, or know of someone who did? Thanks

robbiegreene508

Original poster
Jul 14, 2015
I also just saw this on another audio site with a description of the Scosche harness, where it says:

"POSSIBLE “PREMIUM” BOSE SYSTEM VEHICLES ARE:

2003-2006 Buick Rendezvouz
2003-2006 Cadillac Escalade EXT/ESV
2003-2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS/LTZ
2003-2006 GMC Denali
2003-2006 GMC Envoy SLT
2003-2006 GMC Yukon/Yukon SLT
2003-2006 Hummer H2"

Did they not offer a "premium" stereo in 02? This sh*t just gets more and more strange the harder I look... Lol

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
The scosche one does not specify if it will work with a bose unit or not. My instinct is it will not but their website blows and does not specify what will work or not on it. It's one of those crappy universal ones. I honestly would spend the money on the GMOS-014 from Metra that will definitely work. There have been reports of failures with them but I really have had the worst luck with scosche products all together where they screw up the data bus more than people have complained on the Metra ones. You can settle for the GMOS-014 for now and then get the steering wheel controls at a later time. You could also get what mooseman said with the http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=1129 Either way you're in for one hell of a hack job because your headunit is such low quality that it probably does not feature the headphone style input that allows for steering wheel controls (you MUST tell us the model of your radio so we can help better). You have the problem of trying to cheap out on the harness but have a high end OEM radio setup and cannot skimp on the adapter or the features you want like steering wheel controls, rear seat entertainment, door chimes etc will not work. Your other problem is skimping on the dash kit which isn't that big of a deal but you need something to brace the radio in the dash and sometimes the metal cage the radio comes with does not cut it and if it does, you have a hole to plug from the unit only being single din but us having double din radio's. I recommend mounting your radio in the lowest portion of the dash so that the screen does not block your dash vents when it is flipped up.

On star is one of those things where unless you have the antenna that is a tiny nub that is mounted on the roof above the drivers seat, you will not get onstar to work. If you only have the antenna that is on the rear passenger quarter panel window then you have the analog onstar and it is totally dead since there are no longer any analog cell providers, they are all digital.

NateDG

Oct 30, 2014
Normal, Illinois
If I'm not mistaken, the "premium" Bose setup is the one with the touch screen navigation head unit. I have a Bose system but I only had the CD changer and the non-lux amp.

In a nutshell, your '02 won't have the "premium" Bose. I know the stuff is confusing, I did a metric crap-ton of research for weeks before to try and figure all this out. It's basically a crap shoot which is why I sprung for the interface that I got. I understand being broke believe me, but at the end of the day, how many times do you want to have to tear the dash apart to install or reinstall stuff?

Also, the mounting kit I got was from Metra and only cost me like 11 bucks on sale but you can get them on amazon even cheaper. This is not something to skimp on. You'll save a helluva headache by doing it right the first time.

I would personally stay as far away from Scocshe stuff as possible. Just my .02

Reactions: kickass audio

robbiegreene508

Original poster
Jul 14, 2015
Ok, ok... I didn't skimp. Not quite anyways. I went ahead and bought the gmos-04 interface, AND the IBR-555GM installation kit... I won't get to it today, so PLEASE let me know ifbIm going to have issues with EITHER... Oh, and I need to get an antenna adapter, correct, or can the stock one be manipulated to fit? Wish me luck, I'll hopefully get it done this weekend.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
robbiegreene508 said:
...PLEASE let me know i'm going to have issues with EITHER... Oh, and I need to get an antenna adapter, correct, or can the stock one be manipulated to fit?
Only time will tell if your modules hold up. Some people are fine, others have problems, it's a crap shoot sometimes with the GMOS units.

I don't know if the stock antenna plug can be adapted. I never pay much attention to it. Once you pull out the stock radio, a quick glance will answer that for you.

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
You COULD cut the OEM antenna off and chop the female connector on the radio to splice the center pin and the outer braid of the antenna wire together but that is a horrible hack job. I would just get an antenna adapter online for cheap. Walmart has it http://www.walmart.com/ip/10756076?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000024666&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40838436632&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78291232287&veh=sem

You could leave the antenna disconnected if you want but you will not have any FM reception without it connected. If you opt to have the adapter at a later date to connect the antenna with, you can do what I did and hang the OEM antenna wire close to the glovebox and the same for the little part of the antenna wire that comes off the aftermarket radio so when you do get the adapter, you can drop the glovebox down and reach through that way, not pull off the trim around the radio to plug it in.

NateDG

Oct 30, 2014
Normal, Illinois
I didn't need the antenna adapter, but I think it mainly depends on the head unit being installed. Mine is a JVC. Also, on my deck, with my interface, the SWC isn't the tiny headphone looking jack, it was simply a wire. The PAC has the jack, I just didn't need it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online

No members online now.