I did the Diff Seal this week!!!

Big B Jantzen

Original poster
Aug 9, 2016
Enid, OK
So I did the Diff Seal this week. Was not bad, the only issue I had was that the metal tabs on seal don't seem to line up perfect with the bearing behind it. I would have one tab lined up and the next one to it was off slightly. I caused a small amount of damage to new seal as I had to pull it out the first time after getting it started. I said screw it after trying so hard to line them up and just popped it in. Everything went smooth and the OS thread was invaluable.

OH ALSO, has anybody had this issue: CV axle will NOT come out of wheel hub. I did not have to get it out to do this job, but if I have to change one or the other I will have to do both.

So far I went a small amount of 4 wheeling and no leaks. I am happy!!! Also, the 4 wheeling is so much better. My diff must have been low and probably a big reason why I got stuck twice this year. All 4 scream now and can feel the grab up front. Spent about $35 on part and tools. Way better than the $900 dollar or more shops want.

Diff Seals.jpg diff seal old.jpg

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
To get the CV out of the hub you need either a puller or, my method, a brass drift and a 3lb lump hammer. Just beat on the end and it should come off after a bit, sometimes, if it's the first time doing it, it'll take some effort.

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
I used a BFH to get thew axles out of the hubs. One like this:
95129.gif

Really didn't need a hammer that large, but I used it anyhow. :thumbsup:

Big B Jantzen

Original poster
Aug 9, 2016
Enid, OK
OK thanks guys, I was a little scared to mess up threads on half shaft end.

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
I used a dead blow hammer on mine. Roughly a three pound hammer with soft faces. When I had to take the axle out of my old S10 I used a regular small sledge and a block of wood to pop it loose (before I picked up the dead blow hammer).

Cheers-

Chris

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Definitely protect those threads by threading the nut on. If it's really stuck, you could use a 3 jaw puller.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Spraying a little PB Blaster in the splines may help too if it is rusted.

Big B Jantzen

Original poster
Aug 9, 2016
Enid, OK
OK yeah splines are totally rusted. I think the Jaw puller is a good idea. Thanks guys, hopefully I won't have to mess with it at all.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online

No members online now.