How to disconnect fuel lines

Tuberattler

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
I'm trying to get the quick connects off the fuel filter and don't want to break them what is the proper way to do this without breaking them?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Tuberattler said:
I'm trying to get the quick connects off the fuel filter and don't want to break them what is the proper way to do this without breaking them?

I believe you need the quick disconnect tool to do that.

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
yeah should just need some needle nose pliers i replaced my this past summer no special tools needed

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
fishguy1123 said:
I may be wrong but I thought they were a pinch pull connections. Needle nose pliers basicaly.

My bad, looked at the wrong ones. It says to squeeze them but you will probably want pliers to do it with. When I did my wife's vehicle it was a pain without the needle nose.

fishguy1123

Dec 5, 2011
Me too. I know I didn't use any special tool. The real PITA is the screw for the bracket/clamp if its rusted. If you can't get it out just cut the clamp and use a zip tie to hold it. The previous owner had already done that in my case.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
At least you don't have to drop the tank to change it.

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011
Tuberattler said:
Seriously? A tool for quick disconnect? where would I find such an animal?

The consensus is that its not needed for our rigs. I'll abstain since it's been 3 years since I changed out my sender and don't remember. Some vehicles I've worked on do need the tool.

FYI: Simple yet effective item available from any parts store. It simply hugs the tube and curved tabs slide into the connector to release it. Not the best view, but ...

(Photo from Autozone web site).

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
going to have to look for that next time im at autozone

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
You don't need any special tools for our lines.....just squeeze the tabs with the needlenose and gently push the line out and when it starts to move you can release the pliers.

Just be double-darn sure you unscrew the cap over the schrader valve and drain the excess in the line before you pull the lines.....you may end up with some in your ear:mad:.

Ask me how I know.

Borderline mother of all pains without tearing ligaments.

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
Gmcman is spot on. Be careful though because even draining the fuel filter with the push valve you can probably expect about a half pint of gas still in the line to run out. I have heard of other guys pulling the fuel pump fuse and allowing the engine to stall out before starting the job, but I don't think it matters anyway because there will be gas in the line no matter what.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Definately pull the fuel pump relay first and let it stall, then crank it for a few seconds.

fishguy1123

Dec 5, 2011
I didn't pull the fuse when I did mine. Wasn't too bad, just don't wear longsleeves and wear eye protection anytime ur under working on it!

Tofer76

Dec 8, 2011
did mine by pulling the relay and running it out then opened the drain and let it drain out and still got gas on me
no tool needed but the needle nose

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online