• IMG_00000126.jpg
    IMG_00000126.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_00000125.jpg
    IMG_00000125.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 48

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
Not enough frontal damage to have set them off.

Sensors are apparently on the inside of the bumper bar that's under the bumper cover. IF they're not touched, the bags don't go off.

Well, at least that's what I was told when I had my little accident and my airbags didn't go off either. :undecided:

These SUVs are built very solid - gotta love "body on frame" construction. :thumbsup:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
dazingla said:
you would think hitting someone going 80 and flying into a ditch the airbags would of deployed
Glad you weren't hurt. I assume you would have mentioned it if you had been. So if you didn't stretch your belt enough to hit the steering wheel with your forehead, the front end didn't collapse enough to even break the windshield (did it?) and your grill and headlights are relatively non-shattered, the airbag controller did its job! It held off the deployment in case you had a SECONDARY impact when you went off a 100 foot cliff on the side of the road after this hit deflected you.

Airbag deployment isn't like in the movies. It's basically a shotgun blast 12" from your ears that's meant to save your life in higher speed unsurvivable accidents. It's not a pillow to make sure you don't break your collarbone on the seat belt or your nose on the steering wheel if you position yourself with highly bent elbows too close to the wheel like some extremely short people do. It turns tragedies into celebrations of life. You get to greet friends and relatives in the hospital instead of having them sign a funeral home guest book.

dazingla

Original poster
Jul 14, 2013
the roadie said:
Glad you weren't hurt. I assume you would have mentioned it if you had been. So if you didn't stretch your belt enough to hit the steering wheel with your forehead, the front end didn't collapse enough to even break the windshield (did it?) and your grill and headlights are relatively non-shattered, the airbag controller did its job! It held off the deployment in case you had a SECONDARY impact when you went off a 100 foot cliff on the side of the road after this hit deflected you.

Airbag deployment isn't like in the movies. It's basically a shotgun blast 12" from your ears that's meant to save your life in higher speed unsurvivable accidents. It's not a pillow to make sure you don't break your collarbone on the seat belt or your nose on the steering wheel if you position yourself with highly bent elbows too close to the wheel like some extremely short people do. It turns tragedies into celebrations of life. You get to greet friends and relatives in the hospital instead of having them sign a funeral home guest book.

i was actually the passenger my wife was driving. kids in back seats. All that happpened to us was minor injuries except i have a partial torn ACL in my right knee and some whiplash. Gf has back problems and kids are fine. Except now my 4 year old has an excuse not to clean his room. Every time i ask him to pick something up he says my leg fait mal(my leg hurts) lol .

Accident happened almost a month actually exactly a month ago today.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
the roadie said:
Lucky guy! Your wife lets your GF ride around with you. Cool! :thumbsup: :wink:

Its that special kind of relationship :wink:

Glad to hear you guys are OK. Though it means one less Envoy on the road.

Canadian Mike

Dec 3, 2011
Too bad for the Envoy, but glad your family's a-o-k!! Wouldn't have wanted to be the passenger in that Sunfire. :eek:

dazingla

Original poster
Jul 14, 2013
Canadian Mike said:
Too bad for the Envoy, but glad your family's a-o-k!! Wouldn't have wanted to be the passenger in that Sunfire. :eek:

thanx mike . if there was a passenger in the sunfire he would be gonzo. the passenger seat was stuck against the drivers head

million-miles

Jan 10, 2012
I know when i worked for AUDI the airbag sensor worked off the DELTA-V formula.

Basically a change is speed. So if you hit them at 80 but you were still doing 60 then you didnt slow down that much that you were going to hit the windshield or dash. With it being a sunfire it just didnt slow you down enough for deployment.

Wex

Dec 4, 2011
million-miles said:
I know when i worked for AUDI the airbag sensor worked off the DELTA-V formula.

Basically a change is speed. So if you hit them at 80 but you were still doing 60 then you didnt slow down that much that you were going to hit the windshield or dash. With it being a sunfire it just didnt slow you down enough for deployment.

I always thought this as well. It is not the impact, its the deceleration that deploys the bags.

million-miles

Jan 10, 2012
Wex said:
I always thought this as well. It is not the impact, its the deceleration that deploys the bags.

There was one AUDI that had the whole front ripped off his car. Some how not sure but the driver lost control and the front end was basically removed from the car. But the car was sliding side ways at 60+ mph and the front was sliding against the inside barrier. Hence it was a slow deceleration but a lot of damage.

And as others have said having an airbag go off between your arms in front of you is and needs to be a last resort.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I've been at an airbag demonstration. Man its a large gauge shotgun going off! I was 15-20 feet away. Can't imagine it going off two feet from you.

eutechnyx

Mar 31, 2012
Glad u are OK,I've been in a wreck when an airbag went off,even got hit by one as a passenger,the ringing sound from the movies is real lol. Its very loud and painful.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Glad you are ok.

I had the opposite experience with an airbag. I had a 96 z28 and a van with no signal decided to basically lock em and turn, the ranger in front of me locked up his brakes and I slammed mine as well. I got the front of the camaro just under his hitch while his rear end was up and when it sat down on the front bumper/hood edge my air bags blew up. I was stopped and the bag blew my hands off the steering wheel, but I never even moved forward in my seat belt. The passenger one blew part of the dash into the windshield and shattered it as well as breaking 3/4 of the mounts for the dash. Plus I had smoke rolling out from the bags. I was able to drive the car home and the airbags did 10 times the damage to the vehicle. I would delete airbags in everything I own if possible. I fixed that car and it never had bags again.

My cousin is one of the short people..maybe 4 foot 6 inches and she got in an accident and had more injury from the airbags than from the wreck. Burns and cuts n bruises. Looked like Tyson beat her ass.

I would be happy they did not go off, you coulda been hurt worse.

dazingla

Original poster
Jul 14, 2013
Numbnutz said:
Glad everyone is OK!

What intersection did this happen at .... just a sick curiousity.

Happened in Carlsbad springs on Russell road and Hall road on the curve

I Actually wanna contact the guy and see if hes alright.( well the wife is wondering) dude was out cold till ambulance took him. I called the number on drivers copy the copshop gave us but no answering machine or answer yet....

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Glad you are ok.

I had the opposite experience with an airbag. I had a 96 z28 and a van with no signal decided to basically lock em and turn, the ranger in front of me locked up his brakes and I slammed mine as well. I got the front of the camaro just under his hitch while his rear end was up and when it sat down on the front bumper/hood edge my air bags blew up. I was stopped and the bag blew my hands off the steering wheel, but I never even moved forward in my seat belt. The passenger one blew part of the dash into the windshield and shattered it as well as breaking 3/4 of the mounts for the dash. Plus I had smoke rolling out from the bags. I was able to drive the car home and the airbags did 10 times the damage to the vehicle. I would delete airbags in everything I own if possible. I fixed that car and it never had bags again.

My cousin is one of the short people..maybe 4 foot 6 inches and she got in an accident and had more injury from the airbags than from the wreck. Burns and cuts n bruises. Looked like Tyson beat her ass.

I would be happy they did not go off, you coulda been hurt worse.

Yeah, after bunches of those kind of accidents, they did the variable stage airbags that required a higher delta-velocity at the sensor to light them off. A teacher of mine got in a relatively minor crash, and had burns all over her face from the airbag, and the airbag blew her hand off the wheel, into the window or something, and no other injuries to speak of.

Mike

dazingla

Original poster
Jul 14, 2013
the roadie said:
That works until you rear end somebody under an overpass or overhead wires or in a parking garage. :eek:

Lol either way head hitting a bridge or face hitting an airbag it hurts.

dazingla

Original poster
Jul 14, 2013
jonbo2002 said:
thats what I would think but he said the wife was driving... Unless he was in the third row????:crazy:

There wasnt a 3rd row seating in that envoy it was a regular SLT

dazingla

Original poster
Jul 14, 2013
the roadie said:
Or as we on GMTN call it, a racing weiner dog. :tongue:

View attachment 16470

Lmao I really wish I had knowledge of engine components because I would be having to much fun making it go fast. My dads 67 charger Fastback is too damn fun. Thing is almost 20 years older than me. Ill see if I can find a pic of the engine. Cleanest I have ever seen and its not even a showcar

dazingla

Original poster
Jul 14, 2013
dazingla said:
Lmao I really wish I had knowledge of engine components because I would be having to much fun making it go fast. My dads 67 charger Fastback is too damn fun. Thing is almost 20 years older than me. Ill see if I can find a pic of the engine. Cleanest I have ever seen and its not even a showcar

Here's the charger I forgot I had some pics on my phone

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1374598586864.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374598586864.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 10
  • uploadfromtaptalk1374598606609.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374598606609.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 11

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Glad every ones okay. Looks like that should buff right out and if it doesn't I'll take the rear latch and actuatooooooooor.

:biggrin:

View attachment 29779

Attachments

• Red-headed_vulture.jpg
    Red-headed_vulture.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 48

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86