HIDs

Black07SS

Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Looking to get a set for my fogs which are 893, question is I here that some people have issues with them fitting in the housings?? have any of you had that happen before?

jomulk56

Apr 21, 2014
I'm assuming you have a TBSS by the user name. I took mine apart, bought longer screws, and went to Ace (closest hardware store to me) with my fog light housing and got a plastic washer that fit between the two parts. After installing the new screws with the washer in place I sealed it with black RTV, and my HIDs fit without issue

Reactions: dmanns67

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Black07SS said:
Looking to get a set for my fogs which are 893, question is I here that some people have issues with them fitting in the housings?? have any of you had that happen before?
When you are looking to buy HIDs for the fogs, you will need to look for 880, not 893 which is the halogen bulb #. I know TRS only has 880 Morimoto HIDs.

Black07SS

Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
so u mean that the bulb itself is too long for the foglight housing?? hence the washer??

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
^^ yes... an HID bulb is longer then the regular halogen bulbs. i was able to get mine in there without have to do any modifications to it, but on a buddies SS, we had to go the washer route. I guess some are hit or miss.

Black07SS

Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
I see, wondering if I should take the chance lol, I measured my stock bulb in there now and its 1/3/4" long from base of bulb to top, have to call DDM I guess and find out

Black07SS

Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
do I need to run a harness with the fogs? just putting HIDS in the fogs and not the headlights

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
A relay harness isn't needed for the fog lights, as the stock wiring is much thicker than the 20 AWG wiring inside our headlights between the main plug, and the 9005/9006 sockets which have a tendency to melt if powering HID ballasts directly.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
A bit ironic that they used thicker wires for the lower wattage fog lights :blinkhuh:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Did you expect anything less from GM? :rotfl:

Reactions: 07TrailyLS

Black07SS

Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
ok cool, looking to order a set of 35watt DDM HIDS then, which bulb color would match my Silverstars in my headlights well??? 5000?

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I'm not sure of the color of silverstars but if they're white, 5000 or maybe even 4300-4500, I've never really seen those in person and been told what temp they are so I'm unsure about how they look, I just know 5k is said to be white while 4300 is more of a halogen color. If they're slightly amber orange like average halogen headlights, 4300-4500. The reason I said 4300-4500 is because some places sell one and other places will sell the other.

Anyone with more experience can chime in and oppose me, I'm just going on things I've read because I have 8k in my car.

jomulk56

Apr 21, 2014
4300K-6000K is the range you want IMHO. I think 5000K is the whitest and 6000K have the luxury blue tint.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I personally like the 4300K which I am running in my projectors and fog lights. They have the most lumen output on the Kelvin scale at around 3200. The higher you go up in the kelvin scale, the less the lumen output.

Speaking from personal experience, I would strongly advise you to stay away from DDM HIDs. Spend the extra cash and get a nice set of Morimoto. :twocents:

Reactions: Blckshdw

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Or you can be cheap and hunt on Ebay and take the chance of getting garbage like I did lol. Got mine from innovited and they haven't given me one problem. Not sure if they have 880 though but I can check and see if you want, OP.

Black07SS

Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Thanks guys for the help, I think I will go with 5000k then, I see the Morimotos but there really expensive lol, but you get wut u pay for I guess, I have had DDM in the past and never had any issues, but I do here some issues with them like said above

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
i run silverstar 893st in my fogs. after searching their sight for output i found this, not easily i might add,:

"A) SilverStar® ULTRA is up to 4100K (degrees Kelvin) on the color temperature scale, which is a whiter color that is closer to the color of daylight. Standard halogen headlights are about 3100K and have a yellowish color in comparison."

since you were trying to match. thought this might help.

Black07SS

Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Thanks I appreciate it, im curious though cause I have silverstars in my headlights so that would mean they are 4100k also, but in HIDS 4000k is bright white, and Silverstars at that temp have a hint of blue lol, I guess its just the bulb output, probably gonna stay with 5000s

Black07SS

Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
And do u think the fog Hids and silver star headlights will look good or match up at night??

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
Black07SS said:
And do u think the fog Hids and silver star headlights will look good or match up at night??
I think you're not going to be happy unless you get both sets of HIDs. Here's something to consider, a set of silverstars costs about as much as a set of DDMs.

Silverstars still look like a halogen bulb.

Reactions: dmanns67 and Mounce

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I'm with toad. HIDs and a set of Sylvania's cost about the same and it's gonna be real hard to match the color between halogen and HID. I think what I would do in your case would be to go ahead and get the HIDs you're wanting and hope they match. If so, score. If they don't, buy another set of HIDs of the same color to replace your silver stars then you'll really be happy.

Black07SS

Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Thanks guys, I would get the hids for the headlights but im hesitant because of the DRL, afraid of damaging the wiring, ive heard many issues with them, or are u guys running the harness with them and are having no issues?? wut do u think??

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
That's a really minor issue. Either DRL killer, or cap mod to run DRL at 100% brightness instead of 70% PWM.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
It would be hard to try to match a halogen bulb color with a HID bulb. I had Silver Stars for my brights and took them out since I have a bi-xenon projector. 9005 Silver Star was no comparison in lumen output compared the the HID.

In case you are not aware, the HID bulb color is achieved by the blend of metal salts within the bulb itself. As your HID bulb ages they will gradually start to color shift towards the higher end of the kelvin scale. For example, if you have a 4300k HID bulb that is a five years old, it would have a blueish tint compared to a brand new 4300k HID bulb. Also, if you go with cheap HID bulbs, the color will not be exact.

Below is a good example where I had the passenger side 4300k HID bulb go through an extreme color shift. Maybe somewhere around 12000k. Driver's side is 4300k. I think the extreme color shift happened because my wife forgot to turn off the headlight during the day when she went on an 8 hour road trip. The HID bulbs were running at 70% power since I did not have the cap mod completed yet.

20130317_212802.jpg

This is a picture of my Morimoto 4300k HID bulbs in the the headlights and fog lights. They are around 15 months old. The fog light has a slight blueish color in the pic, but it is white light in person, same exact color as you see in the headlight.

IMG_20140626_102849.jpg

As far as power issues go for the HIDs, I personally went with the capacitor mod as it retains the auto lights. Parts are less than $5 and took about 15 minutes to install. I manually turn my headlights off during the day with the selector switch which is not a big deal. At least with the cap mod, it will supply 100% to the HIDs at all times day or night. It will also prevent the buzzing sound from the ballasts when you hit the unlock button on the fob, thats if you have it setup in your DIC for your headlights to come on when you unlock your vehicle.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
There should be a thread here some where, search for drl cap mod. You can get the capacitor from radioshack or any other little electronics store like that.

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Yeah, I meant to do the write up for the site since I took the pics of when I put mine in earlier this year. I have just gotten too busy. I posted the pics I took on my photo bucket page.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Black07SS said:
Also 893s are the same as 880s in silver stars for the fogs right???
The 893 and 880 bulbs have the same base. The 880 bulb runs at 27w and produces about 750 lumens. The 893 runs at 37.5w and produces around 950 lumens. Both are 12v.

Before I installed HIDs in my fogs, I used the 893s for about a year after the 880s went out. You can tell the 893s were definitely brighter.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online