Hi all!! ABS light

Ccfbailey

Original poster
Dec 24, 2013
Great site!! Recently my tb was stolen out of my driveway. It was found a couple days later and towed to a local GM dealer. Minimal damage such as door lock popped out and ignition key cylinder destroyed. The ABS and brake lights are now on so the dealer pulled the code. The tech cleaned the ground wire connector for the module and light still on. Advised I need a new ECBM. Before I do that I can't help but think something was damaged by the thief or the tow truck. Quite a coincidence the light is on after that. I'm thinking of swapping out the ignition switch as I have read here that can be the culprit. However, from what I hear there are usually other electrical problems such as heater fan not working etc when the ign switch goes. Everything works except the ABS/brake lights are on. Would like some advice if it's worth changing that switch or go a different direction. Thanks!

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Without knowing what codes were stored, I can only offer a suggestion. Check the pickups and the reluctors at each wheel for damage/dirt/corrosion.

Ccfbailey

Original poster
Dec 24, 2013
Sorry forgot to mention it has a C0265 code. The ground wire for the EBCM was serviced and still unable to clear code.

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
Im putting $5 on the ignition switch.

Ccfbailey

Original poster
Dec 24, 2013
A bettin man huh haha
I hope you're right. For the price of a switch, I'm just going to change it and see what happens.
Merry Christmas!!

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
Ccfbailey said:
A bettin man huh haha
I hope you're right. For the price of a switch, I'm just going to change it and see what happens.
Merry Christmas!!

Dang, if you werent in Canada, I'd mail you my spare ignition switch as a Christmas present :thumbsup:

Buuuuut it might take a few extra days to get there (customs, etc) and it might just be easier for you to buy one locally so at least you have it right away.

Unless you wanna meet me in Windsor, lol.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
The ignition switch can cause a number of strange problems, but, like you suggested, in your 1st post, everything else works.

My money is not on the ignition switch.

The C0265 code is an electrical fault with the EBCM. If can be a ground, or a wear and tear problem with the circuit board.

I found a YouTube vid that might help.

[video=youtube;Jo76ylqgUR8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo76ylqgUR8[/video]

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
RayVoy said:
The ignition switch can cause a number of strange problems, but, like you suggested, in your 1st post, everything else works.

My money is not on the ignition switch.

The C0265 code is an electrical fault with the EBCM. If can be a ground, or a wear and tear problem with the circuit board.

I found a YouTube vid that might help.

[video=youtube;Jo76ylqgUR8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo76ylqgUR8[/video]

The only thing I could deduce from the situation was this problem occurred after his ignition was jimmied after the truck was stolen. I suppose I could see how the ignition mechanism getting rotated hard/too far by a big screwdriver, or whatever they used to get the truck to start, might've damaged the ignition switch down lower in the steering column....

Of course all of us here know the significance of a new problem popping up at random while we are still working on another problem on our trucks, lol!! And the EBCM is a well known PITA across the GMT platform. If the ground is good for the EBCM, and the ignition switch is original, esp. after the truck being stolen and the ignition being manipulated, I guess it wouldnt hurt to toss a $22 ignition switch at it, and keep the original as a spare if its not the root problem anyways. Because those go bad without warning usually anyways.

But with that being said, it of course could very well be the EBCM itself, just trying to grab all the low hanging (Cheapest and easiest) fruit first :biggrin:

I should add that when I bought my Bravada in October, I had an EBCM problem too - the last owner unplugged it completely to bypass a bad ABS sensor in the right front wheel :mad: At the time, I only had a bunch of data bus "loss of communications" DTC's.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
MichEnvoyGuy said:
But with that being said, it of course could very well be the EBCM itself, just trying to grab all the low hanging (Cheapest and easiest) fruit first :biggrin:
I'm not against your idea, on this and on the other site, more than once I suggested changing the ignition switch was cheaper than the cost of diagnosis and like you suggest, worse case is that you have a spare ignition switch.

I'm just looking at the code that was tossed. C0265 is an electrical problem with the EBCM and, from what I found on the web, it is usually a bad ground. But, the ground is supposed to have been cleaned. Apparently, the solder joint problem is the next most likely problem (and the reason the EBCM fails).

Of course, if the EBCM is at fault and if the op is able to repair it, the cost is even cheaper :biggrin:

Ccfbailey

Original poster
Dec 24, 2013
Thanks for the input gents!! Amazon is sending me a new switch and I'll throw it in and hope for the best. No big expectations but I like trying the cheap easy fix first. That's a great video... Thanks for sharing!! I've got a feeling I'll be using it.

Ccfbailey

Original poster
Dec 24, 2013
Well I changed the ignition switch and the ABS light is still on. Oh well... guess I have a spare now. Looks like I'll be taking off the ECBM now and trying out what's shown in that video. I'm assuming I can still drive the truck while the module is off providing I have the connectors sealed off to prevent contamination??

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
I've driven mine with the ABS fuse pulled from the engine compartment fuse box, for a few weeks and no ill effects other than new ABS codes registering.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175