help identify this part

signalnc

Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
the part that is right over the tire. It is loose.Is that an upper ball joint?

Attachments

• DSC_0485.JPG
    DSC_0485.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 46

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yes, the part immediately above the tire in your pic, is the upper ball joint.

Reactions: Mounce

signalnc

Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
ok thanks. I looked on Oreilly's, they have 2--one is $22 the other is $90--big difference in price. Anyone know why?

signalnc

Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
one is a moog--$94, the other is a masterpro, $22--both say lower...not sure other than the moog is better. Autozone has 2 also, $19 (valucraft) and $46(duralast).

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The one in your pic is the upper ball joint. So be careful

Reactions: Mounce

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Moog is the crazy expensive brand as you see but are supposed to be the best. Like stated, you're looking for upper ball joints, not lower, they're completely different.

signalnc

Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
this will be my first attempt at changing a ball joint. is this video good to use as a guide?

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
That video is pretty dead on. I to used it as a guild when I did mine. In the video he wrote on the screen to use a socket to keep the top half of the ball joint as straight as possible. Do just that if not the ball joint removal tool will be all over the place and you scratch you fender. Believe me I know the hard way. I didn't have an impact wrench like he does in the video so I used a half inch ratchet. I also used WD40 once I removed the c clip on the top and hit it with a hammer a few times just to wake things up. Also be 100% sure when installing that the ball joint is going in perfectly straight. This is very important. If not you be buying new upper control arms.

signalnc

Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
I got one side done. The only question I have is about the axle. When putting it back in it didn't seem like it was in as deep as when I took it out. Will tightening the nut pull it back in tighter?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online