heater hose replacement

Daniel417

Original poster
Oct 14, 2015
Joplin
I'm trying to replace the heater core hose that goes from heater core to drivers side. I already bought replacement I just can't get to the 2 bolts holding it to the rear of engine block. Any suggestions?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think his problem is the clamps/brackets holding the hose to the block, not hose clamps. I think I remember them from my engine swap and it's just a matter of reaching back there and take them out with a wrench or ratchet. I think they're the two top bellhousing bolts and they're just a PITA to get out.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Might be difficult to take pics, it's really tight. Video might be possible.

Daniel417

Original poster
Oct 14, 2015
Joplin
I will try to get video in the morning it might be hard with my big phone in a tight space. Moose man you are correct that it is the top 2 bell housing bolts. I can barely get my stubby wrench on the top two 15 mm bolts after bending the tabs aside. I'm going to try to get them from underneath with 24" extension and a wobble socket. I will post a how to with part numbers and tools when I get it. And thanks for the tool referral mrrsm. I will have to get one.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
I uh.....you can get those bolts out easily with the engine and trans in place. I have done it on more than one occasion, I've also removed these trans several times. It's really not bad at all.....at the very worst you can remove the transmission mount (10min) and sit the tail shaft on the cross member, this will give you about 4 more inches of access the the top 2 bolts.

I just had another thought, why are you removing the hard line to begin with? you should be able to get in there and cut the old bands and remove the hoses without removing the entire assembly (hard pipe).

I will mention that in the above scenario you would also have to remove the fan/shroud assembly, as well as the down pipe of the exhaust. The exhaust in these trucks do not have a flexible section of pipe and raising and lower the engine even a few inches will likely crack the cheap exhaust manifold.

:twocents:

Daniel417

Original poster
Oct 14, 2015
Joplin
I replaced the entire hose assembly because it was cheaper than replacing the hoses and connection. I was able to get the top transmission bolts out with my stubby wrench. Then I took intake manifold off. I should have done that to begin with. Took the old one out. Put the new one in. Reassembled and filled up coolant.

Mrrsm is that the gm recommended method? That seems alot more difficult than getting it from the top. 2 hours for the intake method.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlazingTrails

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
Good Job Man, glad to hear it is done! :thumbsup:

images

Daniel417

Original poster
Oct 14, 2015
Joplin
Thank you. Im glad its finished. I appreciate the input from everyone. I'll post part numbers later for reference. Also gm discontinued the 02 hose. I ordered the 07 and it's exactly the same.

Daniel417

Original poster
Oct 14, 2015
Joplin
I used a 15 mm stubby ratchet wrench from harbor freight and a regular wrench hooked onto it for leverage. I bent the tabs to the side on the old one I removed but that wasn't necessary.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Thanks Daniel... And Happy Thanksgiving!

Daniel417

Original poster
Oct 14, 2015
Joplin
Just an update. I originally replaced the shorter hose with an after market setup. I used a 90 quick coupler and a piece of molded hose almost identical to orginal. I was having a problem with my heater acting restricted and barely blowing. Well I upgraded from that to an oem acdelco 2007 hose. After hooking up new hose my heater is getting it. I mean blowing real hot. My hypothesis is original hose restricted to much and caused heater core to not get to operating temp. Ac sensed low heater core temp and kept the door 95% closed in order to get heater core to temp. I'm happy to have heat.

Reactions: Redbeard and mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Very interesting solution... It makes me wonder why GM did not also place the attachment access areas for both the Inlet and the Outlet to the Heater Core on the passenger side close enough to be able to plug in identical connectors....one from and Garden Hose on the Outlet side and the other attached to the Inlet side; lengthy enough to submerged inside a 5 Gallon Orange Bucket from Home Depot and allow for an isolated way to Reverse Flush just the heater portion of the entire system. THAT would have been a very handy arrangement.

Nature hates ANYTHING that makes a cramped, fluid slowing 90 degree turn. For example, She had to make special venous and arterial piping arrangements inside the necks of Barn Owls and their brethren so that when the rotate their heads a full 270 Degrees... they don't collapse the blood vessels leading from their hearts to their brains making them pass out from the twisting tourniquet on those blood vessels caused by such a huge range of motion, side to side.

Daniel417

Original poster
Oct 14, 2015
Joplin
I have a 2002 the 90° angle was fixed on later models. I have a section of garden hose that fit right over the inlet. Made flushing a lot easier. O'Reilly has a Dorman 800-401 Heater Hose Quick Connect you could modify for a flush system.

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Not only that... Dude... You just saved me from such a HUGE and expensive headache, Man. I have a performance engine build under way for a 1994 Chevrolet Camaro 3.4L L-32 Engine that had a serious a problem in the LIM (Lower Intake Manifold) with a totally FUBARed Heater Hose Connection. You see, I thought that the connection portion was actually an OEM portion of the LIM... but since the one you showed me is IDENTICAL to the one supporting the Y-Pipe coming in from the other line feeds to the engine, until you mentioned it here and I saw the image from looking it, I had NO IDEA that is was a separate, replaceable item...and this means I can use that $5.00 part to repair an impossible-to-find legacy LIM for the 1994 Camaro RS Engine. Dude!!!....Thanks man!!!

Reactions: Daniel417

ts684

May 29, 2013
I replaced the entire hose assembly because it was cheaper than replacing the hoses and connection. I was able to get the top transmission bolts out with my stubby wrench. Then I took intake manifold off. I should have done that to begin with. Took the old one out. Put the new one in. Reassembled and filled up coolant.

Mrrsm is that the gm recommended method? That seems alot more difficult than getting it from the top. 2 hours for the intake method.
Am I missing something here?? I have an 04 SWB Envoy with 190K miles. I would like to replace the heater hoses. Don't see anyway to get to the two bolts holding the hose that goes behind the engine. Can't reach down from the top and don't see anything from underneath. Could I just run a long hose over the engine instead?

Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Those bolts are difficult to get at. I had to drop the engine onto the frame and even then, they were a b!tch. Try different tools, ratchet wrenches or ratchets. Heard of some using like 3 feet of extension on a ratchet from the bottom.

Reactions: Tiggerr

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online