Having trouble removing bolt from bottom of strut mount (top of yoke)

lakedawgs

Original poster
Oct 6, 2014
Replacing the struts on my 2002 Trailblazer. All has gone well until I tried to remove the bolt at the top of the yoke that holds the bottom of the strut. I have loosened the nut to the end of bolt and pounded it out as far as possible. Now the the nut is off I am worried about hitting the end of the bold with a hammer. Also, when I put a socket on the other end it is still insanely tight.

Did not seem like the guys I watched do this in videos had this much trouble.
Am I missing something?
Any insight is appreciated.
Thanks
Matt

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
They usually live in non-salt-using States, or spray penetrating oil on the unit for a week before doing the job. How many miles, and are you replacing the OEM shocks for the first time?

lakedawgs

Original poster
Oct 6, 2014
160K miles and yes, OEM struts. I have been using PB Blaster for a couple of days and started pounding today.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You might have to hit that bolt to get it out. If it gets damaged, just a matter of getting new ones. Or just keep turning it with PB Blaster. I suppose you don't have air tools? If you do, just keep turning it with an impact until it spins freely.

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
I had a hell of a time getting mine off the truck. Both the pinch bolt that holds the strut to the yoke as well as the compression bolt that goes from the yoke to lower control arm shock bushing. I sprayed mine with PB blaster and waited 10 minutes before I banged them out. My drivers strut was easier than the passenger side. The passenger side one I had a hell of a time getting the yoke off the control arm bushing as well as the strut from the yoke. What I did was jack up underneath the lower control arm of the side I was removing and Had it so instead of letting the entire control arm hang with only the shock holding it from totally falling to the ground, I had the jack holding it up. What I did then to make sure it was held was remove my two top bolts that secure the strut to the frame and then I lowered down the jack that is holding up that entire wheel assembly just every so slightly. I made it so I could move the shock around a bit but it was still setup with the two upper mounting bolts still going through the frame but they were not bolted down. I had then proceeded to use a breaker bar and the correct socket size on the bolt itself and then a small socket and ratchet on the nut and I backed off the nut. I then used the breaker bar to bust the bolt loose and I proceeded to unbolt it like it was a screw. Once you get the bolt past the opening of the pinch bolt then the bolt will slide right out nice and easy.

What you could also do if this does not work is to pound the bolt back in all the way on the yoke, thread the nut on 2-3 turns and bang it back out. If you still can't get it out, my next recommendation is to get yourself some nail punches. My dad has a set of ones that are really fine to ones that are 1/4" in size. You can put that on the bolt and then try banging it out. Before I do that I would see if the shock can rotate within the yoke. Take the entire shock assembly, yoke and all off the truck. Then take your hammer and give a few good blows to the shock where it goes through the pinch bolt, as if you are trying to push the shock up out of the yoke. That should crack the shock loose from the yoke. Then proceed to either holding the yoke and trying to turn the shock (good luck with that) or do what I did and put the yoke in a bench vice, get some huge pliers and grab around the shock and just grab it tightly enough to try and work it back and forth. Your bolt if it isn't getting stuck on the opening between the sides of the pinch bolt, may be getting stuck up against the shock. If you look at the shock, there is a little valley where it goes into the yoke and this is where the bolt passes through as a second prevention for the shock to get loose and come out of the pinch bolt.

Finally, just to ask a dumb question here. You aren't trying to get the bolt out while spreading the pinch bolt are you? If so, don't do that. You need to remove the bolt first and then you can spread it. Just wanted to make sure you were aware of that.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Or take the strut and yoke to a garage to torch it off.

Reactions: kickass audio

lakedawgs

Original poster
Oct 6, 2014
I am going to 'unscrew' the bolt at the top of the yoke with a breaker bar and move on. If I bugger up the bolt that is fine, I will replace with a grade 5.
Luckily, due to family and work commitments, I am in no hurry to finish.
I will likely reattack on Sunday.
I will post results.
thanks much guys,
Matt

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175