Hard to shift

MikeHayes

Original poster
Mar 20, 2016
Vermont
So yesterday I went to shift out of park and it takes a lot more effort than usual. Doesn't matter, park to reverse, reverse to neutral, neutral to drive. Slight grinding noise during switching. Drives fine in gear no problems driving it. Any help greatly appreciated.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Check the fluid?

Reactions: Capote

Nexus1155

Jan 26, 2012
First like he said check the fluid level. Usually stuff like that is related to the level, the mounts being so bad its causing issues, spilled soda or need lube in the shifter console, or there is an issue where the shift selector lever may be or at worst case there is internal wear on the selector rod. Good chain of issues to follow top to bottom. I am sure you will see the broken or affected piece...

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I'll add to that - the first thing I thought of was the shift cable. Interested to know what it turns out to be.

Sure seems like a lot of tranny issues lately - as more & more of our trucks are getting up there in miles, I suppose.

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
I'll add to that - the first thing I thought of was the shift cable. Interested to know what it turns out to be.

Sure seems like a lot of tranny issues lately - as more & more of our trucks are getting up there in miles, I suppose.
I agree on the shift cable. Does it feel like a transmission issue or a physical connection issue?

MikeHayes

Original poster
Mar 20, 2016
Vermont
Update, The fluid was a quart low so I added that and checked it again and for two days, (Including a long trip yesterday) it ran great with no problems. This morning it is 4 degrees here, I went out to go get some donuts for the family for breakfast and it shifted hard as hell to neutral, I tried putting it back into park and nothing, I can't move the button in and I can't get it to go forward again. The fluid is still fine and I kept checking yesterday for any leaks and didn't see any.

Nexus1155

Jan 26, 2012
Can't move the button? Sometime it's even the safety switch malfunctioning that releases the button itself when pushing the brake/ignition switch. or It's directly related to a physical connection in the assembly/linkage. Remove the shifter assembly and look what makes it tick. Trying to find you a dissasembly pic now.

Also the system holds a lot of quarts. Testing it hot and being 1 quart low isn't much, but as long as there's no leaks...

Good info and links right here> Sorry for linking shit site. GOOD LUCK! It should be quite easy to see the issue

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=89641

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=76431

Last edited:

MikeHayes

Original poster
Mar 20, 2016
Vermont
OK new development... When I reported that the break lights lit up I was right and wrong. The red glow I saw in the mirrors was from the high mounted 3rd light. (Lesson learned, never check bulbs based on reflection) both lower lights are out. So now I'm going to check the fuse (after figuring out which it is) and replace both bulbs. Hopefully that cures it.

MikeHayes

Original poster
Mar 20, 2016
Vermont
Ok, so it's not the lights or the fuse. Thanks to my in-laws I was able to get it up on a lift. Disconnected the cable and move the transmission lever by hand and it went through all the gears like it was brand new. Hooked the cable back up and bam, can't get it into park. So I ordered a new cable. He's the funny part that I'm hoping is a quirk of our vehicles and not of my particular TB. I can't get the vehicle into park with the shifter at all. Even pressing the button on the side of it isn't helping. BUT, I can get it into reverse shut it off and remove the key. To start it I put it in neutral and it starts right up. Slip it in Drive and away I go with no problems at all. Cable comes in Thursday so hopefully by Thursday night I'll be able to log on and celebrate.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Sounds more like the shifter itself is effed up but do the cable first and go from there. At least the tranny is confirmed OK.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Having a new cable won't be a waste - they do go bad. If you have the stock plastic bushing that connects the cable to the linkage, consider replacing that as well (or get one for a spare - the stock ones disintegrate and leave you stranded. Only takes a few min to change out.

Re: removing key in reverse - unless your key is really, really worn, you shouldn't be able to remove it in any position except Park. Which makes me think something is out of alignment or broken (in the 'olden GM days', the neutral safety switch would be a prime offender; not sure if that would still be the case with our trucks.)

Another possibility might be the ignition switch, which are also known to go south (but people tend to report different/ additional symptoms when they go south).

@MAY03LT has a good YT video on a good spare parts kit to keep in the truck - things that go w/o warning and some will strand you. The bushing for the shift cable and the ignition switch are two items on that list (for me, I was glad I had the low beam headlamp relay ready to go when it went out).

Anyway - you may have a little more to replace than the cable, so be aware. As @Mooseman said...at least it's not the trans itself! :thumbsup:

MikeHayes

Original poster
Mar 20, 2016
Vermont
Does anyone know if a Silverado transmission cable will work on a 5.3 TrailBlazer? It's the only thing that comes up for the 5.3. The first cable broke during installation and bond can't find another.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Probably not. Silvy is column shift. However, more then likely a 4.2L cable will work since it's basically the same tranny and shifter.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Size difference is only in the rear. Positioning of tranny relative to the front is unchanged. As best as I can figure with part numbers cross referenced to GM, there is only one cable for all models and engines.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online