Got a new house today!

tbuckalew14

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Pretty siked. We sold our house about 3 months ago and make settlement at the end of the month. We've been looking for a replacement house for almost a year. After being overbid on a couple, we finally got one today. Outside has been completely redone. Inside on the other hand has not been updated since the house was new 40 years ago.
4 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, 2500sq feet with a full basement.

View attachment 20746

Attachments

• 60474130.jpg
    60474130.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 197

woody79

Dec 3, 2011
Congratulations!

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Nice find with a two car garage. :wootwoot:

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
Congrats!! Looks nice..... and now the work begins!

tbuckalew14

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ghoster said:
Congrats!! Looks nice..... and now the work begins!

Yeah...entire downstairs is wallpaper. Has hardwood floors under the old green carpet. All the bathrooms need to be completely gutted. Kitchen needs to be completely redone also.

But it is livable. So we can work on 1 room at a time.

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
tbuckalew14 said:
Yeah...entire downstairs is wallpaper. Has hardwood floors under the old green carpet. All the bathrooms need to be completely gutted. Kitchen needs to be completely redone also.

But it is livable. So we can work on 1 room at a time.

I love working on my own house, I find it relaxing. However, letting go of the money needed to remodel is a different story. That part makes me want to cry.

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Congrats! Now grab a six pack you will need it for those projects.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Congratulations, you close around the same time we do. We can trade secrets, funny thing is they are very similar and built around the same time 1973 for us.

Ours has been smooth the house we put the first bid on is the house we are buying so no stressful bidding wars thankfully.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Congrats bro!! The wife and I have been looking and have been out bidded too. Kinda depressing. But it'll happen for us. Congrats again!!

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
congrats bro :tiphat:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
tbuckalew14 said:
Thanks guys.

Yup. One for my truck, one for my tools. I'm assuming that's okay with my wife.:undecided:

Congratulations and good luck with the wife...you're going to need it!:rotfl:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Awesome!!! Time to pimp the garage the house can wait.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Dang a lot of people I know of are getting houses. Makes me jealous.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Congrats man.. I know the siked feeling.. Looking to close on my house at the end of the month... But we ran into a sag today.. The basement flooded, and the lift/sump pump quit... Now we are all damaged...

Hopefully all goes smoothly for you..

If you dont mind me asking... How much you spend on it?

I am looking at a 6 bedroom, 3 bath, 3000 feet, 2 car, ranch, .5 acres for 162k (appraised at 297)

tbuckalew14

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
TollKeeper said:
Congrats man.. I know the siked feeling.. Looking to close on my house at the end of the month... But we ran into a sag today.. The basement flooded, and the lift/sump pump quit... Now we are all damaged...

Hopefully all goes smoothly for you..

If you dont mind me asking... How much you spend on it?

I am looking at a 6 bedroom, 3 bath, 3000 feet, 2 car, ranch, .5 acres for 162k (appraised at 297)

We ended up paying around 278 for it. It's a mid -high 300k neighborhood. Here is the exact same model listed at 399. 45 Sunshine Road, Southampton

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
congrads bud !!!!!

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
congrats man

tbuckalew14

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
One of the reasons I haven't been on much the last year...and the truck has been neglected. Here is a before(after we ripped down the wallpaper) during and after of the dining room we re did. Needs a couple more things still, but pretty much done this room.
View attachment 30166

Attachments

• IMG_7705.jpg
    IMG_7705.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7706.jpg
    IMG_7706.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7788.jpg
    IMG_7788.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8254.jpg
    IMG_8254.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 16

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Major difference.

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
Looks like you're making a major difference! :thumbsup: Also looks like you got rid of a tree in the front yard, a good move. Trees are nice, but close to a house they tend to make the siding green and when they get tall enough they will absolutely KILL your shingles. (And nobody likes that, roofing a house isn't too hard, but decent dimensional shingles that'll last a while are expensive!) The bay window really looks nice too, by the way. I've got a factory window outlet near where I live, so about a year ago we went and got all new windows, exact fit for our house, for about a third of what they would have cost normally. Your progress looks great, good luck with the rest of it!

EDIT: Now that I look again, looks like you did re-roof it, looks like dimensionals too. :thumbsup:

tbuckalew14

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Envoy_04 said:
Looks like you're making a major difference! :thumbsup: Also looks like you got rid of a tree in the front yard, a good move. Trees are nice, but close to a house they tend to make the siding green and when they get tall enough they will absolutely KILL your shingles. (And nobody likes that, roofing a house isn't too hard, but decent dimensional shingles that'll last a while are expensive!) The bay window really looks nice too, by the way. I've got a factory window outlet near where I live, so about a year ago we went and got all new windows, exact fit for our house, for about a third of what they would have cost normally. Your progress looks great, good luck with the rest of it!

EDIT: Now that I look again, looks like you did re-roof it, looks like dimensionals too. :thumbsup:

Yeah...we took out 11 trees total. We did that with windows too...I just bought 7 more for the back of the house for under $2000. Anderson windows quoted us around 15,000!

tbuckalew14

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011

Attachments

• IMG_7711.jpg
    IMG_7711.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7709.jpg
    IMG_7709.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8226.jpg
    IMG_8226.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8463.jpg
    IMG_8463.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 8
  • WP_001408.jpg
    WP_001408.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 8

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
Congrats! My wife and I sold my first home 2 yrs ago when we moved to FL, we're hoping to pick up two rental properties by the end of this year here in FL. Looks like you've got your work cut out for ya! :thumbsup:

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
tbuckalew14 said:
Yeah...we took out 11 trees total. We did that with windows too...I just bought 7 more for the back of the house for under $2000. Anderson windows quoted us around 15,000!

Not bad. I get direct, built-to-order windows for I believe 60-some percent off right now. Probably because I build them for a living :undecided: :rotfl:

I also get faucets, cabinets and exterior doors on rebate, too. Just a shame it's not me paying the mortgage on the house I'm in or I'd get into that :crazy:

Can I ask what brand the windows are?

tbuckalew14

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
IllogicTC said:
Not bad. I get direct, built-to-order windows for I believe 60-some percent off right now. Probably because I build them for a living :undecided: :rotfl:

I also get faucets, cabinets and exterior doors on rebate, too. Just a shame it's not me paying the mortgage on the house I'm in or I'd get into that :crazy:

Can I ask what brand the windows are?

I'm not sure what brand actually. From Tom adams windows. I get contractor pricing since i'm buying them through my contractor and he doesn't mark up supplies. They're not the greatest in the world...but 1000 times nicer than the ones we're replacing...

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
tbuckalew14 said:
I'm not sure what brand actually. From Tom adams windows. I get contractor pricing since i'm buying them through my contractor and he doesn't mark up supplies. They're not the greatest in the world...but 1000 times nicer than the ones we're replacing...

Not bad, if they function how you expect, offer good thermal quality and especially since it'd raise the property value, sounds like a good bet. Yeah, there's some contractors who are willing to offer at-cost things like this if they get to profit from installation. I don't think my company serves Tom Adams, I just take a lot of pride in being part of the "Made in the U.S.A." I myself work the casement line, I assume you got regular hung-sash (cheaper that way).

Andersen is a nice window but I guess the quality doesn't match the price, my company has won 4 J.D. Power awards (I believe in a row). Got a huge lunchbag out of the last one :wootwoot:

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
IllogicTC said:
Not bad, if they function how you expect, offer good thermal quality and especially since it'd raise the property value, sounds like a good bet. Yeah, there's some contractors who are willing to offer at-cost things like this if they get to profit from installation. I don't think my company serves Tom Adams, I just take a lot of pride in being part of the "Made in the U.S.A." I myself work the casement line, I assume you got regular hung-sash (cheaper that way).

Andersen is a nice window but I guess the quality doesn't match the price, my company has won 4 J.D. Power awards (I believe in a row). Got a huge lunchbag out of the last one :wootwoot:

Illogic, I LOVE it when people order windows from you all and then don't need them or for some reason they come back to your outlet. I did our whole house a couple years ago completely from the outlet over there by you - got awesome windows still in the plastic for like a third of the new price. Only catch is sometimes you have to wait for a month or so and just keep checking for the right size to come in - totally worth it though.

tbuckalew, the house is looking great so far! Congrats on the progress. :thumbsup:

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Envoy_04 said:
Illogic, I LOVE it when people order windows from you all and then don't need them or for some reason they come back to your outlet. I did our whole house a couple years ago completely from the outlet over there by you - got awesome windows still in the plastic for like a third of the new price. Only catch is sometimes you have to wait for a month or so and just keep checking for the right size to come in - totally worth it though.

tbuckalew, the house is looking great so far! Congrats on the progress. :thumbsup:

Yeah, gotta love that. It happens, though we don't actually build anything just to warehouse it. It's all made-to-order, returns of course get stocked in an outlet. What's funny is I work in the "first-stage" factory, making the vinyl. When I scan the finished window frame, it says cancelled order sometimes - but we still continue, and finish it rather than scrap out the hardware and send the vinyl out to be chipped down and reused. Didn't make a whole lot of sense at first, but outlets make it work I guess lol.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samsen

Members Online