GM Designing a 3.6L Twin Turbo V6

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
I was talking to my friend last night (I bought his boat). He works at GM here in Warren, Mi. He tests what they call 'experimental drivetrain'. Well I asked him how the testing was going for the new Cruze turbo diesel (to be released soon I think), he said good but they are really into the 3.6l twin turbo for what he called the "uplevel platforms" which of course, means Cadillac and such. He said they have been testing them to the max and everything looks great. I remembered that I read this here and told him there is an internet buzz out on the forums about it and he should tell his fellow engineers to check out some of the automotive forums, namely GMTN.

I envy his job though...lol. It sounds like a lot of fun.

Envoy4Life

Dec 4, 2011
MichEnvoyGuy said:
I was talking to my friend last night (I bought his boat). He works at GM here in Warren, Mi. He tests what they call 'experimental drivetrain'. Well I asked him how the testing was going for the new Cruze turbo diesel (to be released soon I think), he said good but they are really into the 3.6l twin turbo for what he called the "uplevel platforms" which of course, means Cadillac and such. He said they have been testing them to the max and everything looks great. I remembered that I read this here and told him there is an internet buzz out on the forums about it and he should tell his fellow engineers to check out some of the automotive forums, namely GMTN.

I envy his job though...lol. It sounds like a lot of fun.

He's for sure talking about Alpha, the chassis that will underpin the new ATS and upcoming CTS. The ATS-V's powertrain is unknown, but I think they'll go with the 3.6TT for it. :wink:

Chief

Dec 5, 2011
Envoy4Life said:
Indeed. From my personal experience driving the TrailBlazer SS, they seem to do better from a roll.

I do hope you were joking there..the SS is a beast from a dig actually and a turd from a roll since it has aerodynamics of a brick..lol. The SS is a great 1/8 mile drag truck, after that it kind of starts falling off a bit. This is of course my personal experience with TBSS's..

Envoy4Life

Dec 4, 2011
Chief said:
I do hope you were joking there..the SS is a beast from a dig actually and a turd from a roll since it has aerodynamics of a brick..lol. The SS is a great 1/8 mile drag truck, after that it kind of starts falling off a bit. This is of course my personal experience with TBSS's..

I should have clarified more. To me, the SS does better from about a 15 or 25 MPH punch compared to from a dead stop. Pretty much the exact opposite of the GC SRT8. Those things shoot out like a bat out of hell from a stop!

Chief

Dec 5, 2011
Envoy4Life said:
I should have clarified more. To me, the SS does better from about a 15 or 25 MPH punch compared to from a dead stop. Pretty much the exact opposite of the GC SRT8. Those things shoot out like a bat out of hell from a stop!

Agreed! Put a converter in your SS and wave bye to the srt8..lol

ScottS

Dec 20, 2011
NighTblazer said:
A crate option would be nice I have a Camaro with the 3.8 pushing 200Hp stock. This would be a nice up grade. Twice the power and good MPH! of course the TB would need one too! :thumbsup:

I have a regal with the same 3800, put a cartuning.ca turbo on it... bolt on monster!

[video=youtube;wYvwEOc9iYg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYvwEOc9iYg[/video]

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
TollKeeper said:
The 3.8 was probly one of the top 4 6 cylinder engines ever made. Once you got the prone intake gasket leak fixed, they are nearly indestructable.

Top four American built 6 cylinder engines..

60* V6 GM Built (2.8,3.1,3.4,3.5,3.6,3.9)
90* V6 GM Built (3.8 Exclusively, the 3.0 and 3.3/3300 was also a 90* engine, but not as reliable)
4.0 Jeep
4.3 GM

Dont know enough about the 4.2 engine to include it.

The Supercharged 3.8 never had the intake gasket leak since it wasn't the same as the normally aspirated version. That one was indestructable. Back when the series 2 - 3.8 liter came out the stock 240hp and much more impressive 280 tq was a lot and you could easily bump those numbers up with a few simple mods.
I've owned most of the 60* v6's, the 3.8 is in my minivan and the 4.3 (with 262 lbs of tq) sits in my newer boat right now since they still make it and I also have two 5.3's presently. Every one of those was a trouble free engine except the 3.4 had the intake leak issue as well and even then I only stopleaked it at its current 145k miles. Even the 2.8 in my 1989 Beretta way back in the day had some guts with its 5speed manual and the 94 Corsica with the 3.1 wasn't bad way back when.

91RS

Dec 4, 2011
Jkust said:
The Supercharged 3.8 never had the intake gasket leak since it wasn't the same as the normally aspirated version. That one was indestructable.

Yes they did, exact same gasket.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online