general hwy performance with lift

paul2005tb

Original poster
Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
Id like to ask those that have lifted their vehicles, what has been the most important change to guarantee safe highway driving performance. Im particularly interested in maintaining vehicle control and safety on the highway. If Im going 70 mph and I have to change lanes Id like to know that Im not going to have a tire lose contact with the ground.

My plan is for a 2" lift but Im now thinking that I should add the wheel spacers for safety sake ? Is there anything else that you can think of in terms of tire width or other issues that make your lifted vehicle safer to drive at highway speeds ?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I have a 2.5" lift and also use Mark's 1.5" wheel spacers to run 32" tires. Absolutely zero issues. I still corner faster than a lot of people (granted, faster than I probably should) and never come anywhere close to losing it. Others here are suspension and body lifted with even bigger tires and drive theirs on the highway too, no issues.

I think you're over-thinking it :tongue:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I think you have plenty of reading to do on multiple sites. There are a bunch of us lifted and have no issues on the highways and there is plenty of information on this on this site and our off-road sister site.

paul2005tb

Original poster
Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
I finally got MarkMC 2in rear lift installed. Rode it on the highway and tested out the stability. I cant explain it but for some reason it seems MORE stable than without the lift. So far Im very satisfied with the highway performance. Sometime very soon ill install the MarkMC 3in front lift. They sit ready and waiting with my new bilsteins.

May 5, 2013
You lifted it 2in in the rear but left it stock in the front? Got any pics?

Reactions: paul2005tb

paul2005tb

Original poster
Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
SmokeyMcBlazer said:
You lifted it 2in in the rear but left it stock in the front? Got any pics?
I will take some pics this weekend and try to figure out how to post them. I think it looks good with the lean/slant forward look.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I definitely think mine is more stable even without a rear swaybar. The lift firms things up and it is noticable. More truck like and less roley poley like a car or crossover.

Reactions: paul2005tb

paul2005tb

Original poster
Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
One advantage of the leveling effect of the MarkMC 3" front 2" rear lift is that your windshield is more slanted giving better visibility in hard rain conditions, especially with rainex on the windshield.

Nexus1155

Jan 26, 2012
I had the rear lifted 3 inches only before i did the fronts because it was easier, but I looked like a goof ball and everyone else thought so too, but i liked the race stance for a bit...

After I lifted the front. I will tell you though when I had to do an emergency swerve out of the way when 3 cars braked hard in front of the truck(truck needs a new master cylinder its been braking like shit) I full tilted left and then full tilted right and all tires were firmly planted on the pavement.

paul2005tb

Original poster
Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
HARDTRAILZ said:
I definitely think mine is more stable even without a rear swaybar. The lift firms things up and it is noticeable. More truck like and less roley poley like a car or crossover.
I took a look under the rear of mine and cant see howto remove the rear swaybar.

Read this great stuff...
http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?t=429&p=47469

But still cant figure out how to remove the rear bar. It looks like there are no bolts holding the two brackets that hold the bar in place, they are just welded on to the frame. What am I missing ?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
paul2005tb said:
I took a look under the rear of mine and cant see howto remove the rear swaybar.

Read this great stuff...
http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?t=429&p=47469

But still cant figure out how to remove the rear bar. It looks like there are no bolts holding the two brackets that hold the bar in place, they are just welded on to the frame. What am I missing ?
They're there, look up on top, one side of the bushing bracket rests in a notch in the frame, the top is then bolted into the frame iirc.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online