KSA
Trailblazer Gear Shifter Problem Solution

Summary: How to Repair Gear Shifter
Difficulty: Easy
Estimated Time: 10-20 Minutes
Part Numbers: ---
Cost:
$0.00 - $24.99

Hi Guys I saw that this is a common problem to many owners of the Trailblazer community is that the gear shifter would not shift the Trailblazer into or out of a set gear

This happened to me as well and took me a few days to locate the problem and hence I have come up with a tutorial for people to follow to easily fix this in a few minutes with little to no holes in the pocket

First step would be to ensure the problem is not associated with a faulty solenoid and actuator

To check that the solenoid actuator is not the problem then you should perform the following check:

1. Start the Trailblazer

2. Tap on the brakes

3. You should hear a click as the button on the gear releases

If the click is heard and the gear lever slides but the gear does not change then the problem can be solved by the following method

The problem deals specifically with the following parts

Pic 1.jpg

An explanation is better with pictures so

The problem occurs due to regular wear and tear of the rubber locking mechanism as shown in RED

Due to which the connector (shown in GREEN) from the gearbox comes loose and eventually is completely disconnected from the shift cable

Pic 2.jpg

Therefore to reinstall the connector we have to lift the front of the truck and crawl under and just reconnect them both together

However a cheap way to ensure the cables don’t disconnect again would be to use a piece of wire and secure them both

Pic 3.jpg

Now you can hit the road once again!

Another more permanent fix would be to buy a replacement locking mechanism as the one in the link (tutorial) below for about $24.99

http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-repair-the-transmission-shift-cable-/10000000178315973/g.html

The Ebay listing for the product is as follows:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-T...ng-EASY-INSTALLATION-/181842798542?rmvSB=true

Last edited:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Nice way to keep it together as a quick fix.

Another option to replace the plastic part is use the metal replacement from ATF speed:

https://www.atfspeed.com/shop/shifter-cable-repair-kits/gm-chevrolet-4l60e-shifter-cable-repair-pin/

I know some people have used a small bolt with a nylock nut on the end as cheap and easy fix, but the issue with that is the threads on the bolt could actually wear into the plastic of the shift cable and break that part, then you're stuck replacing the entire cable.

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
If there is any mis information or anything I should add please let me know

Thank

Nice way to keep it together as a quick fix.

Another option to replace the plastic part is use the metal replacement from ATF speed:

https://www.atfspeed.com/shop/shifter-cable-repair-kits/gm-chevrolet-4l60e-shifter-cable-repair-pin/

I know some people have used a small bolt with a nylock nut on the end as cheap and easy fix, but the issue with that is the threads on the bolt could actually wear into the plastic of the shift cable and break that part, then you're stuck replacing the entire cable.

I had though of the nut and bolt fix, but then judging by the delicate parts I thought that the wire would be a good fix

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sparky

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, that wire fix is good as a temporary fix. The link you provided didn't have one to the product, which is this. They have a video and it looks super easy. I couldn't find a video for ATF Speed's.

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Yeah, that wire fix is good as a temporary fix. The link you provided didn't have one to the product, which is this. They have a video and it looks super easy. I couldn't find a video for ATF Speed's.

That was the tutorial to install the said product but thanks I will add the link in there as well

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online