Gauge Readings

MikeHayes

Original poster
Mar 20, 2016
Vermont
I have a 2004 TB EXT with the 5.3, Since I've been lurking in the shadows here I've been watching the gauges like a hawk and had a couple of questions. The Oil Pressure is holding a tick over 40 ever since I changed the oil about a month ago, before that it was at 40 or a tick below. The temp gauge hovers 2 ticks below normal in town but when running the ac or in the mountains it stays a tick above normal. I don't have a reader to get the exact pressure or temp and they're not that far above normal but I was wondering if it is something I should start worrying about. I bought it with 117,000 miles and it has 125,000 now.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Oil PSI sounds fine. Since you have a 5.3 it is a real gauge not a dummy.

Temp gauge should not be dropping below 210 after it warms up. Running AC on a hot day or driving up mountains can get you a tad above and that's not a problem, but the running 2 ticks cool is a bit concerning. It would lead me to think the thermostat is malfunctioning and not maintaining temperature properly.

Reactions: Mounce

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Torque Pro ($5), a Bluetooth adapter (about $15-20), and an Android device is a quick and cheap way to get access to those readings and many, many more.

Since I have a 5.3 as well, I have noticed that my temp gauge is pretty much right on at 210 all the time, no matter what the real temp is. I have not overheated to see if really matches when it is over 210.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yours is acting exactly the same as mine, oil and temp.

MikeHayes

Original poster
Mar 20, 2016
Vermont
We went for a long ride tonight to get out of the house, (20+ Miles.) Temp stayed 2 lines below the mid mark the whole ride. Kept it in 3rd the whole trip. (All dirt back roads, some rough uphills) It's 75 F here. Oil Gauge still hovering between first and second line past mid point.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Two lines to left may be a bit low. I'd get a bluetooth OBD interface and Torque to read actual temps.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.