Galaxy1000 On-Star conversion

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Well, Terry my man, I think you should volunteer and be the guinea pig for this. :yes: :biggrin:

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
I've heard of the bluestar, but not the other one. Why not just get a nice aftermarket HU with bluetooth built in? The only downside to them is the mic, but it doesnt bug me.:twocents:

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
DDonnie said:
I've heard of the bluestar, but not the other one. Why not just get a nice aftermarket HU with bluetooth built in? The only downside to them is the mic, but it doesnt bug me.:twocents:

I have a Double DIN Kenwood with built in Bluetooth and I just mounted the Mic right at the top of the pillar on the drivers side. The wires tuck in nicely, and it looks very clean. The cost on this was a fraction of what I would need to do to keep everything stock, plus I get the added bonus of in dash DVD (which I never really use anyways). It works seamlessly, when I get in the car and turn the key, the radio powers on and auto-connects to my phone. My phonebook and call-logs sync right up each time also. Best thing I did for the TB (maybe 2nd best behind remote start...:undecided: )

Reactions: paul2005tb

floridarv

Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
Will, what is the model number of your Kenwood unit?

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
floridarv said:
Hi, has anyone installed this product to replace their on-star The Galaxy1000 is a handsfree car kit bluetooth device for owners of GM Onstar vehicles? or this model costartech.com - BlueSTAR?

If so, how does it work?

Thanks,
Terry

I installed the Blue Star on my Truck, found a unit on e-bay for less than half price and I suspect it may be an older unit (early firmware?) because it works well but has some peculiarities in operation that I have become used to.

It came with multiple cables, one of which worked for my Bose and OnStar equipped Truck.

The audio is clear and I don't get any complaints from the other side of the call.

My only complaint is there seems to be delays when starting and stopping a call and voices seem to have added delay, which I attribute to the Bluetooth connection itself.

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
floridarv said:
Will, what is the model number of your Kenwood unit?

DDX616. It's a few years old now, but still gets the job done. Used eBay prices on these aren't bad at all. Ill try to get some pics of how I'm set up so you can see it.

Edit: Here you go.

1st I love the ability to change the background.
etyjujer.jpg

Also here is where I mounted the mic. It just slides in between the headliner and the pillar with no adhesive or screws needed, it's tight enough to stay put.
udebahub.jpg

And like I said- the Bluetooth automatically syncs upon start up of the radio. Here is a shot of the phone menu it shows batt life, missed calls, call log, etc etc.
ede2e4u7.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramzo358

Members Online