Fuel Tank Skid Plate Removal During Transfer Case Service - 04 TB I6 4x4 LT

webdawg

Original poster
Jun 26, 2014
I am about to change the transfer case fluid in the Trailblazer. I do not know when it was last changed and honestly I forgot about it.

Is the fuel tank skid plate easy to remove? I either need a way to catch the drain or I need to remove the skid plate to let the Transfer Case drain correctly.

I cannot find the instructions to remove the fuel tank skid plate.

Is their any danger to changing this at this point? Like I said, I do not know how long it has been since it has been changed...could changing the fluid cause issues if it has not been changed ever? The vehicle is at 179k.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
DEFINITELY change it.

The fuel tank skid was a pretty uncommon one and doubt many have dealt with it. IIRC it is only a few bolts and not too tough to do. I kinda wish I had one, but the truck has made it this long without, so ???

Reactions: djthumper

webdawg

Original poster
Jun 26, 2014
DEFINITELY change it.

The fuel tank skid was a pretty uncommon one and doubt many have dealt with it. IIRC it is only a few bolts and not too tough to do. I kinda wish I had one, but the truck has made it this long without, so ???

Thanks. I was hoping it was easy but I cannot remember if there where any modules or anything mounted to it. I will be doing this tonight then.

webdawg

Original poster
Jun 26, 2014
For the Fuel Tank Skid Plate removal I think it was 5 bolts and one nut. You need some extensions, a 13 mm deep well for the nut, and a regular 13 mm. The only thing you have to be careful about is when you get the skid plate off...make sure that the metal nut clips stay in/do not fall out.

They were in there decent but they did move around after it was off.

Also, it is made of fiberglass. I realized that about half way through and put my gloves on. Everything itches and I have those mini splinters in my palms and arms.

After that everything went well. 10mm allen socket for the transfer case. The fluid was a bit dark and because of this darkness more green then blue.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Great follow-up info for the future.

Thanks!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online