Fuel pump thoughts

carshinebob

Original poster
Jun 13, 2014
I've been driving my pewter 03 Bravada for a few weeks. First time I've actually driven it since I bought it last August. I smell gas fumes when ever It's parked. No visible leaks, but I suspect the top plate of the fuel pump may be rusted through. Even though the rest of the truck isn't rusty, the rear around the rear axel is extremely rusty for some reason. So now I'll take down the gas tank to see what's what. Here's my question. I'm thinking of replacing with a new fuel pump. Which brand is preferred by members here? I also have two used 03 gas tanks and pumps that are the same age and around the same mileage. Unless these are known to last a very long time, I don't think putting in a used one is a good idea. Thoughts?

JPutnam

Jun 30, 2017
Ft. Bragg
I haven't replaced the pump in the Trailblazer yet, but I have used Carter pumps in about a dozen vehicles and have not had any complaints yet. They seem to be well made and are a little loud, but they put out nice pressure. They also don't seem to get weak under heat like the others do when they get old.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
No eBay CCC pumps or white boxes. The biggest problem with pumps is the fuel level senders. Updated ones have better non-thin finger type sweeps that don't wear through. ACDelco and Delphi are the best bets.

Might not be the top but one of the lines that's rusted through. Had that on my Saab on the pressure line with a massive leak. Could be your return line, especially if you're not getting a code for an evap leak. Recommend rust painting the top and lines of the new pump with Por15, excluding the part that the plastic line connects/seals onto.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Maybe filler neck too, though that usually throws an evap code.

Reactions: Mooseman

carshinebob

Original poster
Jun 13, 2014
Thanks for the replies. It did have a P0440 when I first started driving it, so I cleared it and in two weeks of driving, no codes or pending codes. filler neck and tube look rusty but I couldn't see any wet spots. yesterday a sniff test through a piece of tubing tells me the fumes are coming from the top of the tank. ~BOB

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Sniffing through a tube. First time I've heard of this. Good idea!

Reactions: Reprise

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Not always. Weird I know. Top of the fuel pump unit on my Silverado was rusty and you could smell fuel, but it never threw a code.

Ilikemy3s

Dec 3, 2011
I have a fuel pump thought .. I have a 2005 TB. about 145k on the clock. (bought it at 85k) rarely let the tank go below 1/4 .. what do you think the chances are the original pump will last at least another year or maybe 10k miles ?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
My 2002 had 215k miles and it still had the original fuel pump in it.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
This is encouraging, given what I've been addressing as needed / expected part replacements in the future. It's a job I really dread (of course, I say that about most of them that I haven't done before!)

Thankfully / hopefully, I don't yet have issues with it, and that will continue to be the case for a bit till my other priorities are addressed.

(on edit - this was in response to Sparky's post re: 215K on the original pump - forgot to insert his quote!) :duh:

JPutnam

Jun 30, 2017
Ft. Bragg
Also have a 2002 with over 200k on the meter with the original pump.

Actually, almost everything really. The brakes and ball joints have been replaced obviously, but everything else is still good. I have been having a gremlin problem though with the rear drivers window regulator and the passenger temp door actuator. I might have a fix for that though...

AzTruckGuy

Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
My 2003 fuel tank was replaced for free from the dealer under a leaking filler tank recall. I had the dreaded P0440 code myself. A month later I replaced the Fuel Pump with a Bosch unit which is stock. The P0440 never went away and i throw money at various Evp parts to no avail. Chevy wanted to charge me $80 to diagnose the issue I said hell no. Im chalking it up to the brain unit just giving a false reading. BTW my gas mileage went up but these trucks are horrible for MPG

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online

No members online now.