Fuel Economy: What is your average MPG?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Yep...amsoil does not have a vested interest...
[emoji13]

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
60% highway 40% city. 1800rpm shift point. Not in a hurry to arrive at a red light and sit so i let off the gas way in advance. Most of the time i arrive as traffic starts moving and do not even have to touch the brakes.

Summer blend. Shutting engine off at drive thru's. Was not a hot summer.

Winter blend. Engine running at drive thru's with heat.

Best trip was from KY or OK and back. 24mpg there 27mpg back. Average speed was 70-80. Lots of drafting. Possible tail wind on the way back or the non-ethanol blend fuel.

Reactions: Mounce

BC backroader

Sep 6, 2014
I did a full tank calculation on my last fill-up, and averaged 19.7 mpg(Imp), or 15.8 mpg(US)

That was about 70% hwy, 20% city, and 10% logging road/trail driving, about 30% better than my '04 Sierra 3500 gets for similar driving. My driving style, for both vehicles, is neither leadfoot nor hyper-miler, somewhere in the middle.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
All hilly highway for ~75 miles, between 55mph and 70mph, without cruise control. Only got stopped by four traffic lights.

20151129_173418_zps34rtl8di.jpg

Screenshot_2015-11-29-17-33-22_zpsebrqlsto.jpg

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Averaging about 17.6 mpg since switching over to the winter wheels/tires. Mostly highway that runs over a mountain going to and from work.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
I am showing 15.3 combined mileage over the use of about 200 gallon average. If I am on the highway only I have shown around 20.5, and I was getting a solid 17 pulling the popup camper highway only. I guess I didn't tune it to get good mileage though lol

@dmanns67 #racetruck :rotfl:

Reactions: dmanns67

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Seems you are right on with what you had before.

I am still staying about that average as well combined. Been switching up octanes and to see if it makes much difference and i do lose some on the 87.

murdog

May 20, 2016
Duluth MN
A Bit of an old thread but this is alot of what brought me here. I am getting around 12.5 city (my wife drives it full time, I drive it when I am working nights) and around 17 on a good day on the highway. So after reading this I feel a whole lot better. When I bought the thing I was hoping for more, and that is why I started to look at forums to see if I had issues or what. 2005 EXT I6 4X4 here.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
My 02 TB EXT, 4.2L, 3.42 gears, I get 15 combined city/hwy. Haven't used it in a while on highway only. Was getting 12-13 before I changed the O2 sensor and reset the fuel trims.

The 06 9-7x with the 5.3L, 3.73 gears, disabled DoD/AFM, I get 14 combined city/hwy. I got around 16 hwy.

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
As for the wear tables, if they dont test SuperTech can you take them seriously ? :wink:

I drive about 80% hwy and consume about 20 gallons every 3 weeks. I typically get about 17-18 mpg. When I first bought the vehicle I had a number of 100% highway trips and I was getting over 20mpgs. At some point Im looking forward to taking another long trip and testing. It would be great to know the optimal speed for fuel economy. I always assumed it was about 2k rpms.

Dont underestimate the gas devouring effect of a failed fuel cap, I had a period of about 5 months where my cap was broken, my mileage went down to 14mpg. Of course I typically get 3 weeks out of a fill up so that is allot of hours of evaporation per tank full.

Last edited:

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Going from Calgary to Winnipeg, with lots of hills, but essentially downhill - plus a few 80 KPH construction zones - I got 670 kilometres on my SWB 04. This is the most I have travelled on one tank, but kept the speeds around 116 to 118 during the day and 112 at night. This works out to just under 22 U.S. miles per gallon.

Normally, highway is about 18 MPG and city is 16 MPG in summer, and 14 MPG in winter. I usually fill at about 500 kilometres on a tank in the city but can sometimes stretch it to 575 to 600 on the highway.

I also learned there are a LOT of poorly-aimed headlights out there, and a lot of ignorant drivers who think more light on the highway at night gives them better visibility. I have seen so many drivers, especially in Alberta, driving with fogs on at night, poorly aimed HIDs in reflectors not designed for them, and (worse yet) fog lights aimed high to act as bubba driving lights. All these KILL your night vision; they don't enhance it. I tried the plus-four headlights on at night with the high beams and didn't like it because it looks like more light on the highway, but it ended up not adding even one more foot to the range. I would never use a plus-six light setup at night because properly-aimed fogs brighten the road directly in front but kill your night vision when it is not foggy out. Anyone who thinks fogs on at night helps you avoid deer has never actually hit, or nearly hit, one. By the time the fogs light up the deer, it is too late.

I also found out that all the money I spent getting the absolute best brakes possible, paid off. Several deer wandered onto the highway late in my trip. I was on low beams but slowed so fast, I could have been stopped fully before I got to them. Thankfully, there was no one close behind as not that many vehicles can stop so fast when they need to. (Plus, not that many drivers know how to get on the brakes hard and fast, and threshold-brake to the point of ABS engagement.)

Reactions: Jan-Åke_Klement

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I kept a good eye on the MPG for this last weekends offroad adventures. I filled up and drove 180 miles with half at 60ish and the rest 75ish mph to get there. Scan said 16.1 mpg on arrival. I put ten gallons of fuel in for the trails. Leaving Sunday I was at 260 miles and needed an additional 9.9 gallons to fillup. That put the mixed driving right at 13 which I though pretty good for some well used low range over the trails. I drove the 180 miles home at 65 due to Matt not having OD and him following me. I showed 17.2 for that trip. I have repeatedly seen my scangauge to be an accurate reflection of hand calculations so I trust it with .5 mpg either way. Pretty happy overall with the setup currently being it has 4.10s and 35 inch rubber and some decent armor plus roof rack.

Inferno333

Oct 9, 2014
My 02 TB EXT, 4.2L, 3.42 gears, I get 15 combined city/hwy. Haven't used it in a while on highway only. Was getting 12-13 before I changed the O2 sensor and reset the fuel trims.

The 06 9-7x with the 5.3L, 3.73 gears, disabled DoD/AFM, I get 14 combined city/hwy. I got around 16 hwy.

I get about the same with my 06 TB. Same engine and gears with the AFM disabled. Can you think of any way to get it a little higher? :biggrin:

Can we reset the fuel trims on the V8? I'm pretty sure I did the battery cable reset after the LH O2 sensor was replaced.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
My 5.3 is pretty much locked at 16.7, combined city/highway. I have 3:42 gearing and AFM delete, I'm pretty happy with that :dance: Mike.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

dkvasnicka

Jul 24, 2015
Czech republic, Europe
Set my personal record this weekend. Got 22.2 MPG (one way, 21.6 MPG roundtrip) on a fairly hilly journey (see the elevation profile pic), with my wife, both kids and the trunk full of junk for the family to spend a weekend at my parents' house. Some of it is freeways (70 MPH or more when passing), some of it is country backroads of varying qualities (50 - 60 MPH) and a little bit of city traffic. And a little bit of headwind on the way back I think. Oh, and no A/C.

I even got pulled over by a Customs patrol (while those idiots were checking a SUV with two sleeping kids at least one or two semis passed us, potentially being of importance to them) and managed to avoid a deer collision (by braking with my eyes even...)
Screen Shot 2016-06-28 at 09.48.18.png

Last edited:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Pretty typical for me

Mirage

Feb 23, 2014
converting L/100klm(Canada) to MPG I get avg 14.9mpg-combined city/highway with 3:42gears and 32in tires

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Since I installed the Michelin Defender LTX, I've been averaging 17-18 cty/hwy, but never took an "easy" road trip with them to monitor mileage.

While I haven't used the entire tank, I did take a ride to the Eastern Shore last night to pick something up and I told myself I would take it easy, easy meaning 55-65 with no heavy foot.

With the A/C on the whole trip, I was surprised. Now granted, the tank isn't empty and my remaining range will change but I think I could have averaged a solid 20-21 MPG had I kept going.

Not too terrible considering A/C and 4:10 gears, I also have the smaller tank.

20170411_232100s.jpg
20170411_232109s.jpg
20170411_233806s.jpg

Reactions: Tiggerr

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Usually between 12-14mpg... I've got a heavy foot and a tune performance oriented without fuel efficiency in mind :laugh:. Got a bit better mileage before I ever had it tuned and before the 3.73 axle swap.

Joel Phelps

Oct 6, 2017
Alabama
Until this week I average 15.5 mixed driving. That usually a mix of 60% hwy, 40% city/town. (Lots of hills)

The 2 interstate all hwy trips I have taken I averaged 18.4.

We will see if the new lift/tires combo will make the 5.3 suck a little more. Need to get it tuned.... Right now just have the plug pulled on the AFM. Need to get a true delete done.

Last edited:

mntegra01

Mar 26, 2018
Virginia
hah, I am around 10mpg in my 03 2wd LS short trailblazer with 3.73 gears. I work about 5 miles from home. I try and let it warm up before driving it hard, I know GMs like to burn oil and knock when cold.

I am contemplating a PCMsforLess tune and maybe the ignition coil conversion from springs to a metal rod. I forget the type of material, but I found it on trailvoy forums, and seems that everyone from there came here, so here I am.

Reactions: CaptainKD

BuffettTruck

May 2, 2018
Florida
No DIC, so I have had to use the odometer divided by gals used calculation to figure it out. Currently I seem to be getting between 15 and 16 mpg with my daily driving. Ultimately, I wasn't expecting great mileage from my TB, but I had kind of expected it to be similar to my old 99 Jimmy. But it seemed like I was having to go to the pump more often. After tune-ups and replacing the exhaust and other fixes on the Jimmy, I was getting around 18 mpg. However, the TB is a bit bigger than the Jimmy (parked next to a Tahoe the other day I fully realized just how big the TB EXT is), so that probably has a lot to do with the difference... plus I have a heavy foot when the light goes green. Not a speed demon by any stretch, but I like getting up to speed quickly.

REDLTZ

May 1, 2018
Pennsylvania
I got ten mpg with a massive fuel leak coming from the top of the fuel pump I dropped the tank swapped it out and I’m getting 14 now even with the off-road tires and 4:10 gear ratio

Ilikemy3s

Dec 3, 2011
Most of my driving is highway but I will average about 17-18 during the week. If I do straight highway and keep the tach at about 2k I can average 19.5-20

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Holding mid 17s on a trip I used to get 22 on.

wstuckey1

Apr 11, 2018
Fenton MI
Doing calculations based on mileage and fuel consumed (ignoring what the computer tells me I’m getting) I’m averaging about 12.5 on most my fill ups with 3.73 gears, 33x12.5 mud tires, and 5 inches of lift on an ext. Curious to see if my new bumper will effect mpg.
Side note, is it possible to have a clogged cat without throwing a code/light turning on? What are some warning signs of a clogged cat?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Doing calculations based on mileage and fuel consumed (ignoring what the computer tells me I’m getting) I’m averaging about 12.5 on most my fill ups with 3.73 gears, 33x12.5 mud tires, and 5 inches of lift on an ext. Curious to see if my new bumper will effect mpg.
Side note, is it possible to have a clogged cat without throwing a code/light turning on? What are some warning signs of a clogged cat?
Loss of power, inability to pass on the highway. Revs without going anywhere.

Reactions: xavierny25

wstuckey1

Apr 11, 2018
Fenton MI
Loss of power, inability to pass on the highway. Revs without going anywhere.
Hmm. Maybe I don't. It seems to pull about as hard as it should.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Would a lazy 02 sensor be capable of taking the MPG down a good chunk?

Last edited:

Uncleenvoy

Feb 12, 2020
Ny
Just wondering what every one is getting out there..according to my driver information center I used to get 13.5 I cleaned my throttle body dropped to 10 (don't know why)..changed valve cover gasket down to 8.5 noticed oil leaking out of vvt solenoid changed that and now im up to 11.3..I used to complain that 13.5 was bad...how I wish for those days again

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
get some data recording done for things like fuel trims, air intake values, operating temp, etc and see what they look like at idle and normal speeds. It sounds like it is running rich for some reason.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
@Uncleenvoy Merged your thread with this one, as we have multiple "what's your MPG" threads, and this one had the most recent posts.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Is that actual calculated or what's shown on the DIC? My calculated is 15 MPG combined. I use Fuelly to calculate and track my mileage.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online