Fuel economy improved after troubleshooting P0171

TripleBuick

Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
Hi to all,

I bought my 2006 Rainier 4.2 I6 in 2012 with 70k miles. Initially, the fuel economy was pretty good at 16 MPG. Three years and 25k miles later my mileage was as low as 11 MPG in the winter and 14-15 MPG in the summer. I then started getting the dreaded P0171. I purchased a wifi obdII connector for $25 on amazon and torque app for $5. My LTFT (long term fuel trim) was over 30 when towing which triggered the P0171. Did some internet searches and went after the probable causes: Vacuum leaks, fuel pressure, MAF sensor, burnt exhaust valve. The vehicle still drove ok, but you could tell the idle was slightly erratic, transmission shifting was not as crisp as usual, just didn't feel 100% right.

Steps taken:
1. Tightened intake manifold gasket bolts to spec. They were all loose.
Result: LTFT improved a little. Cost was $0.
2. Performed a smoke test to check for vacuum leaks in the intake system. Used my Halloween smoke machine, worked well, but found no leaks. Cost was $0.
4. Checked spark plugs for any discolouration or proof of poor combustion. A leaking exhaust valve would affect the spark plugs. All were clean and in good condition. Replaced anyway since they were close to 100k miles. Cost was $60.
4. Bought a fuel pressure gauge on amazon and tested the fuel pressure using the schrader valve near the alternator. Tested good at 60 psi. Did not lose pressure with engine off. Cost $60.
4.Added Gumout fuel system cleaner to empty tank and filled tank. Ran until empty.
Improved performance and idle. Small improvement in mileage. Cost $10.
5. Replaced thermostat. No OBDII code set. Based on torque app my motor was running at 185 degrees. After new thermostat engine was running at 205. Gauge in vehicle went from just below mid point to just above midpoint. Based on my experience the vehicle will not lock up the torque convertor unless the temperature is at the max. My rpms were 2100 at 65 mph instead of the normal 1900. After replacing the thermostat my rpms dropped on the highway indicating the torque convertor was locking up again. Cost was $60. Mileage improved a little.
6. Although I did not have an OBDII code indicating the MAF (mass air flow) sensor was failing, I have had vehicles with failing MAF sensor that did not set codes. The MAF sensor can really affect fuel consumption. As high as 20 to 40% so I replaced it anyway. Cost was $80.

Step #6 replacing the MAF had a huge impact, the vehicle idled properly, shifted properly, mileage was up to 17-17.5 MPG. My total cost for all steps was $260. I believe all the steps helped a little, but the largest improvement was from replacing the MAF sensor. LTFT is now in the 5 to 8 range. While 0 is ideal, anything under 10 is considered normal. My vehicle runs like new again and fuel consumption is the best I have had since I have owned the vehicle. Thought I would share my experience for any of you that are dealing with P0171, drivability issues, or poor fuel consumption.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Very good detective work there. I also liked your idea of using the Halloween smoke machine. Good time to get one cheap now.

TripleBuick

Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
Tried a couple more steps to improve fuel economy. Lucas fuel system cleaner does improve fuel economy but only while you use it. I decided to find something more long term. After some research on you tube found scotty the mechanic who recommended Gumout high mileage fuel system cleaner. It lasts 5000 kms and has pea which is a very good combustion chamber cleaner. After one tank I had an improvement of 15%. On third tank now and fuel economy is holding up and still improving a little. I am now getting 17 mpg in mixed driving. For our vehicles I think thats quite good. The vehicle runs as smooth as ever. Hard to tell the motor is even on.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I just replaced the O2 sensor on my EXT and it bumped my MPG from 13.5 to about 15.5 after I reset my fuel trims. Just ordered a pair for my V8 Saab and will see if I can repeat the results because it's in the 13's.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I've been noticing my mpg's dropping off a bit. I think it's time to change out my 02 sensors(I've got 135k on the dash) and throw some cleaner in the tank.

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
Great post, Triple Buick. You included symptoms, steps, and cost. Very helpful to future readers. :thumbsup:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

TripleBuick

Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
If you all want the mother of all how to try to increase MPG threads, go here:
http://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/only-getting-160-miles-on-25gal-tank.13500/

I have to throw in some cleaner.
Tried a couple more steps to improve fuel economy. Lucas fuel system cleaner does improve fuel economy but only while you use it. I decided to find something more long term. After some research on you tube found scotty the mechanic who recommended Gumout high mileage fuel system cleaner. It lasts 5000 kms and has pea which is a very good combustion chamber cleaner. After one tank I had an improvement of 15%. On third tank now and fuel economy is holding up and still improving a little. I am now getting 17 mpg in mixed driving. For our vehicles I think thats quite good. The vehicle runs as smooth as ever. Hard to tell the motor is even on.

TripleBuick

Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
An update for my P0171 code. About 6 months after my last post I started getting P0171 again, slightly rough idle, LTFT would shoot up to as high as 30 after pulling my 3500 lb trailer for an hour or so. Average LTFT was 8 to 10 range. I decided to replace the upstream o2 sensor again, no change. Decided to replace the intake gasket. (BTW if you plan on doing this yourself buy a small set of swivel ratcheting wrenches. The bolt near the firewall cannot be removed without one. Other bolts can be removed with a socket set. Best approach is one person on the driver side makes sure wrench stays on bolt head, another person turns the wrench from passenger side. It took me 4 hours to remove everything, 2 hours to put it back together. You must remove a lot of stuff, computer, alternator, belt, lots of electrical wires, fuel line, etc. I would rate this job a 7 or 8 out of 10) No change after new gasket.

Went on a 4,000 km trip to Tennessee in August 2016 with my trailer and used premium fuel only. It pulls better with premium. After about the first 1000 kms noticed engine was accelerating better, rpms more steady, better fuel economy. I then ran 2 bottles of Gumout fuel injection cleaner during the trip. LTFT dropped to 5.5. No P0171 during the trip or since. I strongly believe I had a partially clogged fuel injector, probably one, maybe two. GM dealers can test the flow from each injector while on the vehicle. Had I known I would have had mine tested. My next plan is to have my GM dealer perform the fuel injection cleaner service and test the LTFTs again. During the service they disable the fuel pump and run the engine on fuel injection cleaner only. I will report back on the results I achieve. I am currently averaging 17.5 mpg in mixed driving. Best since I have owned the vehicle last 4 years.

Hope this helps anyone who has the P0171 code.

TripleBuick

Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
Ok, another update. No further P0171 codes since last post but decided to go ahead and have GM dealer perform fuel injection cleaning cost was $110. Vehicle now idles like new (you can't even tell if the engine is on), super smooth acceleration, 5% better fuel economy. LTFT is now in the 5.5 to 8 range, never higher. From what I have read less than 10% is OK.

My vehicle has 170,000 kms so I went ahead with a transmission flush and new filter also from the GM dealer. While the shifting was Ok before it seems much smoother and faster now. Very happy with the results. Cost was $250.

For a $110 I will definitely use the fuel injection cleaning in the future for similar problems. I handle 95% of my own repairs, when I don't want to do it or can't do it I use my local GM dealer or an independent shop who specializes in a particular type of repair. So far this has worked well for me.

Reactions: Mooseman

John Schwarz

Jun 6, 2017
Fishers, Indiana
Very helpful info. Thanks for your posts.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online

No members online now.