Front wheel bearing brands?

groundshock

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Looking at RockAuto for a replacement front wheel hub for my '02 LS.

There's options for 40 bucks, then they go up to 113-155. Whats the deal with the 40 dollar ones?

Anyone with real experiences?

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
Yeah, those cheap priced one DO NOT BUY or else you WILL be on jack stands again changing them out because of either the ABS sensor or the bearings go bad. Stick with Timken or SKF. I have Moog which isn't too bad for now (almost a year) and ACDelco is just a rebrand of Timken.

Also don't get it from eBay, you don't know what you'll get. Same goes for the big box stores. Check the brand and quality in the box before you go home.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
I'm looking to buy a pair of Timken's myself in the next week or two. Over $200.00 each here, but then again most things are more expensive here. I'm gonna try change them out myself and learn something and save some money.

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
Denali n DOO said:
I'm looking to buy a pair of Timken's myself in the next week or two. Over $200.00 each here, but then again most things are more expensive here. I'm gonna try change them out myself and learn something and save some money.

Can't you buy from Amazon and save $$$?

v7guy

Dec 4, 2011
The main brands mentioned above are all good. Generally the cheaper bearings are cheap for a reason, but some guys still use em. Other guys get the cheap ones at the auto store and then swap em out every year under warranty.

They're a simple job to change yourself, I encourage everyone to save money and do it themselves.

groundshock

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Take a look at the parts listing on RockAuto. Looks to me like most of them are made by the same company. Most of them have some form of that '513188' part number.

I'm pretty sure I'd be safe in assuming that they're all the same, made by the same overseas company, and all you're paying for is the name and the warranty. All rebranded versions of the same parts.

14njxnc.jpg

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
dcmtnbkr said:

Looks same part number.

Denali n DOO said:
Here's the ones I found with free shipping. Does anyone know if it the same part number for both sides?

Timken 513188 Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly

They are the same both sides.

I just found them at RockAuto.com for $133 and change. same part number.

Don't know about shipping costs....

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
groundshock said:
I'm pretty sure I'd be safe in assuming that they're all the same, made by the same overseas company, and all you're paying for is the name and the warranty. All rebranded versions of the same parts.

14njxnc.jpg

It wouldn't be rebranded parts by the same company per say. I understand what your point is though but not safe to assume.

The point we are trying to make is that quality matters when it comes to wheel hub assemblies. We have had many testimonies to premature failures of the wheel hubs because members didn't see a point of spending more for top quality.

I was one of those members when I did my first wheel hub job. I thought $80 Raybestos would do the trick. I changed the wrong side due to misdiagnoses, therefore I also bought a Timken for the $130 and replaced the correct side within two days.

The Raybestos had bearing failure within ~20K miles/ 6 months. This time I swapped the Raybestos with the Moog Brand. The Timken are still going.

What I'm trying to say is just as I did early, don't go cheap on these parts. Oil filters, oil and batteries, etc,... fine.

jfkmk

Mar 7, 2013
I agree, don't go with the cheap brands. While not a hard job to do, why replace the bearings every 6 months? I went with the Moog bearings, which if I remember right have a 3 year warrantee. They were 170 each, and I got 30% off at Advance Auto when I bought them on line. I'm not putting in a plug for Advance, but this was a great way to buy. I purchased them on line, putting in two separate orders, 1 bearing each. The reason for this is the 30% was a maximum of $50 off. If I put them on the same order, I got a total of $50 off, and when I put them in 2 orders, I got a total of $100 off. Another order for rotors and pads gave me another $50 off. After ordering, I drove to the store, and they were already waiting for me! When I got there, the pads had another mail in rebate for $15. It was like Christmas all over again!

Next up is my trans cooler and all-fluid change.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online