Front Right Vibrations

Marksman762

Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to track down the source of some strange vibrations coming from my front driver's side. It's almost as if something is pulling at/getting caught in the wheel/preventing it from smoothly turning. There isn't any noise associated with it, just a bumping/pulling/catching vibtration. I notice it lightly at 20MPH and it grows as speed increases. It's not consistent, but it feels like it's getting worse with time.

Within the last year I've replaced the outer tie rod ends and wheel bearings on both sides. I had the truck in the air a few days ago to look things over - I don't notice any play in any components, but I may not be checking everything correctly...

Has anyone experienced this or does anyone have any recommendations on things to check before I take it to a shop?

Thanks!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Your vehicle profile isn't filled out, so I have to ask - is it 4WD? What year? How many miles?

North Dakota makes me think you have 4WD, and in that case, the CV shaft and differential are definite suspects. Especially if you haven't checked the diff fluid level or changed it at 100K.

Mike w

Jun 24, 2014
I had this problem and it turned out to be mud inside the rim.. cleaned the mud and now I'm back to smooth ride.

Sir ffeJ

Dec 1, 2011
The_Roadie said:
Also, if it's driver's side - that's the left by common convention. Want me to change the thread title?
I've always looked at the right and left by sitting in the truck. It's just that you spend more time in the vehicle driving it and turning left or right, than you do standing in front of the vehicle.

As for the "bumping/pulling/catching vibration", perhaps the caliper pistons are not releasing properly and the pads are catching the rotor. Also check your caliper mounting bolts to make sure they're on tight.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Maybe the tire just came outta balance. Have you hit a curb recently? Knocked one of mine outta balance once playing on a dirt road, ran off in a large ditch and the back tire slid into the bank. 10 minutes at the tire shop and $10 later, no more constant vibrations.

Also, I assume you checked the wheel bearing by grabbing the tire at the 3-9 and 12-6 o'clock positions by rocking it back and forth. (trying to rock it at least, there should be no rocking/play)

Marksman762

Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
Thanks everyone - wow - yes the title should be left side. Whoops.

I did check for a loose bearing, no problems there. I may just have a shop check balance, it's a good place to start.

How would I check the CV and/or differential? I did change the front dif fluid around 15,000 miles ago with a synthetic fluid (have to check for which specific one I used). I'll also check the caliper bolts - I didn't even think of that when I had it in the air last.

120,000 miles, 4WD. I'll get my profile updated!

Thanks everyone.

Reactions: Mounce

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online