Front Differential Leak - Rear Seal? - 04 TB 4x4 I6 LT

webdawg

Original poster
Jun 26, 2014
http://imgur.com/a/eqBrm

Can you guys take a look at that album and tell me if you think that this is a rear seal leak on the front differential? It is not on the rubber part of the transfer case shaft, so that is one of the reasons I am asking. Also, no drippage on the frame...just what you see in the pictures.

It almost looks like it is coming from in front of where the shaft meets the transfercase axle. Any ideas?

I popped open the front diff and took a look at the levels...they are still good. I guess it could have been from another job...or somewhere else. What do you guys think??

webdawg

Original poster
Jun 26, 2014
So, I have two different opinions on this from two professional mechanics. One states that the pinion seal is going bad, other is stating could be from some other repair.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's difficult to diagnose long distance. Maybe one solution would be to use a UV dye in the diff oil and see where it's coming from after cleaning everything off with brake cleaner.

AWD V8

Jan 12, 2015
Well, to me, going by the photo, it looks like the front pinion seal.

I agree ^^^^
I'd wash it down with brake kleen and watch it over a couple of days. You could put some dye in the diff to confirm it's coming from there.

Reactions: smt 59

smt 59

Well, to me, going by the photo, it looks like the front pinion seal.
I'd wash it down with brake kleen and watch it over a couple of days. You could put some dye in the diff to confirm it's coming from there.

I agree, keep a close eye on the fluid level as there is really not that much in there to start as well.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online