Front CV Shafts Losing Grease

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
So before I moved up Phoenix a couple of months ago I noticed all this grease on the frame coming from the drivers side couldn't find out where it came from at the time....well today I noticed the same grease on the passengers side of the frame and it looks like the boot closest to the diff leaked out the grease. I drove 165 miles from Phoenix to visit my parents for Christmas, no issues on the way at all. I assume I lost the drivers driveshaft when the grease was all over the frame, but it hasn't given me any issues and any noises at all....I drove today to the park and no noises coming from the drive shafts at all...So I'm leaving back to Phoenix on Monday and I don't have time to change out the driveshafts...what the worse that can happen if I leave them "as is" I assume they are just spinning freely since I am not engaging the 4wd or use it all.

AWD V8

Jan 12, 2015
The drive shafts are always spinning regardless if you are in 4wd or not.

In most cases you won't loose enough grease to compromise the CV joint. I'd was it up and see if you can tighten up that CV boot clamp, or replace it before you loose much more.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
As AWD said, you should be fine for the drive back. I replace the passengers one on mine a few weeks ago because of the same thing. I think mine came off when I did the UBJ and UCA a couple of months ago.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Many use big muffler clamps after repacking w CV grease.

Can I change the titel to CV shafts sine they are not driveshafts to avoid confusion?

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
Many use big muffler clamps after repacking w CV grease.

Can I change the titel to CV shafts sine they are not driveshafts to avoid confusion?

Yes go ahead sorry for the confusion and yes they were fine driving back ....I'll have to figure out how to change them out since I have no room to work or a place to work up here

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Done.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online