Front Bumper Push Pins/Plugs?

joeredspecial

Original poster
Mar 23, 2012
Long story short, I managed to remove my front bumper by using a parking lot fire hydrant last weekend. One of my most embarrassing driving incidents for sure. Luckily there is virtually no damage, but I'm still amazed that it came off so easily.

My front bumper had been replaced after a hit and run accident about 4 years ago and I found out after doing a little research that they never replaced the four push pins/plugs seen here:

http://www.trailvoy.com/images/articles/1057-bumper/6.jpg

I would like to replace them, but I read on the OS that they are $6 a piece from the stealership. I would prefer to not give them any of my money. Does anyone know if I can get some more generic plugs that will fit from an auto store? Does anyone have any pics of what they look like when removed?

Thanks

George

Dec 8, 2011
joeredspecial said:
Long story short, I managed to remove my front bumper by using a parking lot fire hydrant last weekend. One of my most embarrassing driving incidents for sure. Luckily there is virtually no damage, but I'm still amazed that it came off so easily.

My front bumper had been replaced after a hit and run accident about 4 years ago and I found out after doing a little research that they never replaced the four push pins/plugs seen here:

I would like to replace them, but I read on the OS that they are $6 a piece from the stealership. I would prefer to not give them any of my money. Does anyone know if I can get some more generic plugs that will fit from an auto store? Does anyone have any pics of what they look like when removed?

Thanks

2002 Chevy Trailblazer 4WD - TS0709901 Bumper/Front LL8M30T15506 part #9 & #12 you can get them at a parts store

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I'd love to know which one. I haven't found any. I'm missing the same 4 along the bottom.

joeredspecial

Original poster
Mar 23, 2012
Sparky said:
I'd love to know which one. I haven't found any. I'm missing the same 4 along the bottom.

Yeah I can't imagine they would have them, I'd bet money it's dealer only. I was hoping that there might be a generic plug that would fit.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
joeredspecial said:
Yeah I can't imagine they would have them, I'd bet money it's dealer only. I was hoping that there might be a generic plug that would fit.

I was never able to find a store that carried them or any large enough.
I eventually caved and ordered them when I had enough things in my cart to justify gmpartsdirect's shipping cost.

EDIT: The frame the retainers push into is open from the backside. Another option, if you're feeling dexterous, is using whatever large diameter one you can find and finding a matching washer to push it into on the other side. I did this in a few other spots and they hold like a champ, even if it is a little cumbersome.

May 22, 2012
To my surprise my local lowes has those types of connectors. I got some to replace the ones on my front bumper. I am not sure if they those exact ones though. You might try them. they have several drawers full

joeredspecial

Original poster
Mar 23, 2012
Team Dougherty said:
To my surprise my local lowes has those types of connectors. I got some to replace the ones on my front bumper. I am not sure if they those exact ones though. You might try them. they have several drawers full

I also have used those drawers for various parts, but I unfortunately have nothing to compare to when looking through the drawers. I have no idea what the plugs look like :\

May 22, 2012
joeredspecial said:
I also have used those drawers for various parts, but I unfortunately have nothing to compare to when looking through the drawers. I have no idea what the plugs look like :\

I would just measure the hole and get one that fit the hole.

cartman57

Dec 4, 2011
joeredspecial said:

Thanks

Grainger if you have one close by, they do ship too.

Push-In Rivets - Rivets - Grainger Industrial Supply

joeredspecial

Original poster
Mar 23, 2012
I guess I should have clarified, I'm not worried about finding them as much as I am finding the correct dimensions/plug type. I was hoping for a pic of the OEM plugs or a measurement of them. It's going to be trial and error.

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
found an old one laying around from when my daughter tried to rip the bumper off (on my 03)
while backing it out of the garage. hope this helps.

OAL = 11/16"
top OAD = 1"
threads OAD = 7/16"

View attachment 21471

View attachment 21472

Attachments

• bumper pin 003.jpg
    bumper pin 003.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 7
  • bumper pin 004.jpg
    bumper pin 004.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 6

joeredspecial

Original poster
Mar 23, 2012
fletch09 said:
found an old one laying around from when my daughter tried to rip the bumper off (on my 03)
while backing it out of the garage. hope this helps.

OAL = 11/16"
top OAD = 1"
threads OAD = 7/16"

Thank you very much, that's exactly what I was hoping for!

NighTblazer

Jan 23, 2012
here is a link to the website I purchased a box of 25 of the retainers on the end of the air dam. They should have these with a little searching. The previous diagrams says they are the same part for this location but they are to small.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher