Ford tough?

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Look at this closed bidding for this government vehicle:
https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm...htype=&lci=&str=1&ltnf=1&frmsr=1&sf=ferm-clos

2010 Ford F-250 SD XL

Body Style:
CREW CAB PICKUP 4-D
Engine Type:
6.4L V8 OHV 32V TURBO DIESEL
Transmission:
5-Speed Automatic
Drive Line:
4WD
51080 KM

Here's the kicker. This thing has ONLY 51k km (32k miles) and has the following known problems:
Known issues:
  • Scratches
  • Paint chips
  • Dents
  • Rust spots
  • Check engine light is on (see photos for error codes) (P0301)
  • Reduced engine power warning appears on dash
  • Defective tailgate
  • Passenger side mirror cracked
  • ABS light is on

Requires the following:
  • 4 tires
  • Ball joints, L/R upper and lower
  • R front axle seal and u joint
  • Front shock
  • Fan belt tensioner
  • A/C belt
  • A/C belt tensioner
  • Truck box falling off

Minimum bid: $5000

At such a low mileage, it needs this much repairs? And to have a misfire on a diesel, must be a valve or compression issue. This is awful. I don't know what department it was in but government vehicles are usually well maintained. I know they have a 10 year limit for vehicle age but it's not economically feasible to repair regardless.

I've seen similar Chevys with more mileage have a minimum bid of $15 000, like this 2008 GMC Sierra 3500HD SLE with no serious issues with 74k KM starting at $18K.

Wow.

Reactions: Redbeard

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
They beat on that thing hard and had zero ****s given. Ridiculous it needs all that done and has those issues at 51k.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Because Ferd lol. I thought those era diesels were prone to problems tbh...

Reactions: Redbeard and Capote

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You buy it and :yikes:

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
FORD:
Found on Road Dead
Failure on Race day
Found on Russian dump
F**Ked on recent deal...
and on the last page of the owners manual, the bus schedule. Along with a coupon for sneakers to get you home.

Reactions: hrddrv and Mooseman

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I don't know the years but I know there were some Ford diesels that were junk straight from the factory.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Fix Or Repair Daily

We even have two in French:

Ferraille Ordure Rebus Déchet
(Metal Scrap, Garbage, Refuse, Garbage)
Ferraille, Ordure, Rouille, Détritus
(Metal scrap, Garbage, Rust, Garbage

Yes, we have that many words for garbage!

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Speaking of the French, Click & Clack said that when it comes to French Engineering, " The French copy no one and no one copies the French".

Reactions: hrddrv

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Speaking of the French, Click & Clack said that when it comes to French Engineering, " The French copy no one and no one copies the French".

Renault
Peugeot
Dauphin
Dois-je dire plus? :duh:

Comparing Ford to the French auto industry? That's rough - even for Ford :rotfl:

As I saw someone else write online re: Ford vs GM - "the engineering just isn't there" After owning 3 early model Exploders - this really hit home for me - and it's why I now own the Envoy. :2thumbsup:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
There were less issues per unit on roll out with the explorers but the tech was way worse.

Moore

Sep 8, 2016
Oregon
The question about a government vehicle with low miles needs work. You guys ever drive fleet vehicles daily. Some folks take care of them but, many do not nor will not. How about jumping into a police vehicle and before leaveing the lot you realize the brakes barely work. Or, the tranny goes into gear after you shift and count to 10. Those guys I confronted along with many others. The standard line was I did not think it was a problem. Heck a game PU with 100,000 miles even with proper maintenance was a POS what ever the brand name was.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Granted, people tend to abuse what isn't theirs or what they aren't the exclusive users of. BUT - this is supposed to be a HD pickup - with 32K miles on it. I would not expect that many mechanical systems to be in need of R&R. All 4 ball joints? U-joints? Emissions CELs? Truck bed 'falling off'? (the one inexcusable body item, IMO).

Unless the description of issues is being exaggerated - or someone drove the truck over a small cliff - I fail to see how so many mechanicals could be in that condition at that mileage. Sad.

Reactions: Mooseman

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I mean the hot dip galvanized bed of the Sierra is gone. And that was 1/4 inch diamond plate and the truck was maintained. Funny how everything else is rust free though.
Granted, people tend to abuse what isn't theirs or what they aren't the exclusive users of. BUT - this is supposed to be a HD pickup - with 32K miles on it. I would not expect that many mechanical systems to be in need of R&R. All 4 ball joints? U-joints? Emissions CELs? Truck bed 'falling off'? (the one inexcusable body item, IMO).

Unless the description of issues is being exaggerated - or someone drove the truck over a small cliff - I fail to see how so many mechanicals could be in that condition at that mileage. Sad.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
@littleblazer - I was actually referring to Moore's post re: Ford F-250. Hadn't looked at the Sierra, tbh.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Just thought of a new name for the SD - Super Doody (I crack myself up sometimes...)

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
@littleblazer - I was actually referring to Moore's post re: Ford F-250. Hadn't looked at the Sierra, tbh.
I was referring to the 2500hd my dad uses for work and maintains. Everything else is sound but the bed is gone. And it is uh... beat on more so than anything I've ever seen lol. My guess is no work was ever done on that ford...

Moore

Sep 8, 2016
Oregon
We can all guess about the truck but, unless we learn the facts as to WHY, all we have is guessing. But, again I can believe it because I have seen that type of abuse.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I don't care what anybody says, that is low km for having that many serious problems. It's an HD truck. It's supposed to be beat on. If they fall apart just by working them hard, well, that's a problem IMHO. Unless it was driven constantly through craters, it shouldn't need all ball joints. Doesn't explain the dead cylinder though but that could just be an injector. But then it's also in REP. Either way, it's a basket case.

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
I don't care what anybody says, that is low km for having that many serious problems. It's an HD truck. It's supposed to be beat on. If they fall apart just by working them hard, well, that's a problem IMHO. Unless it was driven constantly through craters, it shouldn't need all ball joints. Doesn't explain the dead cylinder though but that could just be an injector. But then it's also in REP. Either way, it's a basket case.

Over here we have Chevys' that have not seen the dealership for years and still run as good as new. Heck my TB has 141,000 KM on it and runs like a beauty

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well, it sold for $17k. Somebody is crazy enough to buy it or they know something.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Well, it sold for $17k. Somebody is crazy enough to buy it or they know something.

Was that the selling price, or the shop estimate of what it'll cost in CAD to fix all of the problems? :rolleyes:

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That's what I meant if he has insider info. Who knows if he didn't just cut a couple of wires. It's still a basket case.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest