Flex plate to crank bolt source

HizAndHerz

Original poster
Oct 28, 2013
It appears that the flex plate to crankshaft bolts are not reusable (torque to yield) but the only bolts I've found from AutoZone were grade 8 whereas the stock bolts are marked 10.9.

I'm kind of surprised that the parts houses sell flex plates but not the correct replacement bolts. It seems that anyone replacing or just removing the FP should be replacing the bolts. I couldn't find any threads where anyone mentioned replacing the bolts with new ones.

Are these a dealer-only item?

HizAndHerz

Original poster
Oct 28, 2013
Reusing flex plate bolts seems to be debated somewhat across other truck forums. Rather than getting stalled another day, I'm going to re-use the stock bolts after cleaning them and the holes, then using blue threadlocker.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Not sure, but I do know 10.9 is metric. Grade 8 is standard (SAE).

Those bolts aren't TTY so that's why they can be reused.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
You can usually look at a bolt and tell if it's TTY... they'll usually be slightly deformed..

On older engines they were always just grade 8 bolts...

Definitely blue Loctite on these

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Reusing flex plate bolts seems to be debated somewhat across other truck forums. Rather than getting stalled another day, I'm going to re-use the stock bolts after cleaning them and the holes, then using blue threadlocker.
I've reused mine, no issues. I cleaned them and put Blue Loctite, torquing them to spec.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Same here. Reused mine, no issues. Loctite is your friend.

• Love
Reactions: 808 and Capote

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86