Flat Billet Wheel Spacers

Pittdawg

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Please see the link below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12MM-6X5-6X127MM-TRAILBLAZER-HUBCENTRIC-78-1-FLAT-BILLET-WHEEL-SPACERS-6LUG-/291115855527?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c7db6ea7&vxp=mtr

Has anyone used these or anything similar? Any concerns anyone would have with using these on their rig? I ask because I have only seen people on here use Mark's 1.5 inch thick spacers and I've also read posts about need to grind lugs for any spacer smaller than 1.5 inch. That said, I would prefer these because I want to push my stock wheels out only slightly, i.e. a 1/4 of an inch instead of 1.5 inches, but not if it's a safety concern, especially with having to grind lugs. Thanks.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I believe these would be something like what Mark would sell. With this kind, they bolt on like a wheel then you bolt the wheel to them. I'm guessing the stud grinding would need to be done if the studs from the wheel bearing are protruding enough to touch the wheel.
uploadfromtaptalk1401336996428.jpg

The ones that you have linked would be like a washer. Instead of a bolt on deal they would just go between the wheel and the rotor.

So, my uneducated guess would be that you would be just fine with those, but I hope someone with experience can concur with my thinking.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
We call these things shims, not spacers, which have a separate set of six studs to mount the wheels to. These use the original hub studs, so your problem is possibly having less thread engagement rather than the issue we warn about of having the spacer studs protrude through and hit the back of the wheel

It's rare that you have a tire and wheel combination that would be cured by only 1/4" increase in distance between the tire edge and the upper ball joint. Are you in precisely that situation?

Pittdawg

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
The_Roadie said:
We call these things shims, not spacers, which have a separate set of six studs to mount the wheels to. These use the original hub studs, so your problem is possibly having less thread engagement rather than the issue we warn about of having the spacer studs protrude through and hit the back of the wheel

It's rare that you have a tire and wheel combination that would be cured by only 1/4" increase in distance between the tire edge and the upper ball joint. Are you in precisely that situation?
I was hoping just a small amount of more effective offset would allow me to go slightly larger than the worn out 265/65/17's I had on. Instead of messing with spacers, I decided to go with 245/70/17 mainly because I believe I was getting uneven wear due to the 265's being to wide for a 7 inch wheel. I'm actually pretty happy with how the new tires look, with the larger sidewall giving the appearance of a bigger diameter. See below (fronts are the 245/70's and rears are the 265/65's.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:56341]

Pittdawg

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Roadie....riddle me this if you please:

Option A: 17x7.5 Wheel with +42mm offset and 5.87" backspacing
Option B: 17x8 Wheel with +38mm offset and 5.98" backspacing

Which option provides more clearance from the ball joint?

Pittdawg

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
The_Roadie said:
Option A. The rim is narrower from its centerline, and pushed back towards the ball joint less. Two reasons it's farther away than Option B.
That's how I understood it. Thanks for confirming.

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
I can see that the narrower rim 7.5 in gives you 1/4in more space than the 8in

But I cant see how a more positive offset adds to that margin. It seems to me that you lose 4mm of that 1/4in due to the +42mm offset vice the +38mm.

I grappled with the question of whether to go with the shim spacer or the full bolt on MarkMC 1.5in wheel spacer. I went with the 1.5in wheel spacer and am so glad that I did and the funny thing is that the gains that I feel in driving quality have nothing to do with the ability to fit a larger tire. The turning and stability of the vehicle is so much improved with the wheel spacers. In hind sight, now, if I could have bought a 2in I would have.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online