Fixed ABS/BRAKE warning light problem

mpd13078

Original poster
Aug 1, 2014
The ABS/BRAKE warning lights were lit on my 2002 Trailblazer dashboard for a long time now so I had the ASE Master Mechanic at my work run his expensive computer scanner on TB. It said there was problem in the power circuit for the ABS system. He made a few suggestions, including cleaning the infamous ground wire to the frame underneath the driver's door. I did that with a wire wheel in my drill & didn't fix it.

Finally after several different tests, found that the red positive wire from the fuse block to the 2-wire power harness that connects to the ECBM had a corroded spot in the middle of it.

I cut the red positive wire about 4 inches from the power harness & from the fuse box....... fluxed, soldered, heat shrunk, then used 3M tape for extra measure on the new wire & started the TB, cleared dashboard.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Have a like for using 3M tape, I love me some Super 33. I've had people in other places argue with me on the merits of soldering versus using one of the more expensive crimp connections that have heatshrink tubing on them (so pretty much a standard inline crimp, but instead of the el-cheapo plastic, it's heatshrink tubing), but I believe inline soldering provides the best connection and the least chance of repeat failure.

stickypoop

Oct 14, 2014
IllogicTC said:
Have a like for using 3M tape, I love me some Super 33. I've had people in other places argue with me on the merits of soldering versus using one of the more expensive crimp connections that have heatshrink tubing on them (so pretty much a standard inline crimp, but instead of the el-cheapo plastic, it's heatshrink tubing), but I believe inline soldering provides the best connection and the least chance of repeat failure.

Absolutely. There may be some good quality sealed crimps out there but nothing beats a soldered connection

Reactions: Mounce

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
One thing I've found if you're using a soldered connection outdoors you need to protect it from the weather. Weather will eat at the lead (if you use leaded solder). So protecting the soldered connection is important.

Reactions: stickypoop

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Mark20 said:
One thing I've found if you're using a soldered connection outdoors you need to protect it from the weather. Weather will eat at the lead (if you use leaded solder). So protecting the soldered connection is important.
Glue type heatshrink will provide a watertight seal

stickypoop

Oct 14, 2014
Mark20 said:
Good practice to protect any type of connection, in general :smile:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.