Firearms

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Braved the rain and took the .308 out today. My sister tagged along with me and my dad watch out for this girl first time shooting something other then a 22 and she is dialed in, I was impressed the set up I have on my ar308 really isn't geared toward table shooting. She nailed it.

My target

Hers

Reactions: dmanns67 and hrddrv

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
I feel like I have a problem with every hobby I have, Black Friday/Cyber Monday are pretty much over and I have a 7.62x39 AR build on the way.

First Off my first AR build is finished fires beautifully, would recommend all AR owners to look into spikes tungsten Buffers make a big different in cycling in these rifles.
6C767D15-F98F-41A5-B5D8-416901735DF0_zpsfo6ljz96.jpg

891D2F27-1880-4BCA-A9C8-2A549A0567AE_zpsqw6h7mdy.jpg

Irons only on this one.

Onto My Touch of Mother Russia Build.
TENNESSEE ARMS BLACK RECIEVER
BLACK__51936.1408237180.1280.1280.jpg
CMMG Lower Parts Kit
Went Lazy and Picked up a pre assembled lower think Im going to change the rail to a Fortis REV
upper12.jpg
REV-640x480.jpg
Magpul MOE stock just like all my rifles.

And for the touch of Russian corny gold
Cryptic BCG
cryptic-coatings-datasheet-mystic-gold.jpg

And this will be my last gun purchase for a while, the SS kicks back into gear post Xmas.

Ghost

Jun 1, 2012
STLtrailbSS said:
I feel like I have a problem with every hobby I have, Black Friday/Cyber Monday are pretty much over and I have a 7.62x39 AR build on the way.

First Off my first AR build is finished fires beautifully, would recommend all AR owners to look into spikes tungsten Buffers make a big different in cycling in these rifles.
6C767D15-F98F-41A5-B5D8-416901735DF0_zpsfo6ljz96.jpg

891D2F27-1880-4BCA-A9C8-2A549A0567AE_zpsqw6h7mdy.jpg

Irons only on this one.

Onto My Touch of Mother Russia Build.
TENNESSEE ARMS BLACK RECIEVER
attachicon.gif
BLACK__51936.1408237180.1280.1280.jpg
CMMG Lower Parts Kit
Went Lazy and Picked up a pre assembled lower think Im going to change the rail to a Fortis REV
attachicon.gif
upper12.jpg
attachicon.gif
REV-640x480.jpg
Magpul MOE stock just like all my rifles.

And for the touch of Russian corny gold
Cryptic BCG
attachicon.gif
cryptic-coatings-datasheet-mystic-gold.jpg

And this will be my last gun purchase for a while, the SS kicks back into gear post Xmas.
sweet build, is that upper pre-built ? Check out the BCM Keymod rail. Dig the gold bcg (I'm sending my bcg out for a refinish in gold)

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Ghost said:
sweet build, is that upper pre-built ? Check out the BCM Keymod rail. Dig the gold bcg (I'm sending my bcg out for a refinish in gold)
The OD green upper was pre built from a vendor on Gun Broker.
I did get a 15 inch keymod on the AR-47 as I call it
And I have started my final build for a while that has a 1-7 twist with a Fortis rev coming from XProducts. Paired with a Great Deal From Palmeto state "Blemished: lower not a single mark on it.

AR-47 Fancy Shots
10858609_10152683357953710_531934911911808230_n by NoIdeaWhatImDoing, on Flickr
10290020_10152683357308710_1609660879366387035_n by NoIdeaWhatImDoing, on Flickr
Real Life Depiction
FC8D30B3-E927-47ED-807C-64465F3A0A70_zpsjitj2hn1.jpg

Reactions: Sib and dmanns67

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Monday was fun. AR soda can launcher on a pistol lower. Launching full cans a couple hundred yards or seeing them smash into a stump is pretty cool.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Picked myself up the AR I had on hold last Friday at one of the Pawn shops in town. Attached everything I had sitting around for my eventual purchase of an AR on it this morning. She looks pretty good if I do say so myself. This AR as of now has an Omni Poly-lower (which cracked around the front take down pin....), Head Down Provectus PV9 Rail System, a god awful buffer spring that is gritty, loud, and needs replacing, MIL-SPEC Aimpoint CCO from work (with 5 setting for Night Vision), Magpul CTR stock, Magpul MBUS front & rear flip up sights, and a bi-pod grip from work.

IMG_20151221_111213.jpg IMG_20151221_132823.jpg IMG_20151221_132928.jpg IMG_20151221_121225.jpg IMG_20151221_150959.jpg IMG_20151221_150948.jpg IMG_20151221_151025.jpg IMG_20151221_115928.jpg

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Picked myself up the AR I had on hold last Friday at one of the Pawn shops in town. Attached everything I had sitting around for my eventual purchase of an AR on it this morning. She looks pretty good if I do say so myself. This AR as of now has an Omni Poly-lower (which cracked around the front take down pin....), Head Down Provectus PV9 Rail System, a god awful buffer spring that is gritty, loud, and needs replacing, MIL-SPEC Aimpoint CCO from work (with 5 setting for Night Vision), Magpul CTR stock, Magpul MBUS front & rear flip up sights, and a bi-pod grip from work.

View attachment 73297 View attachment 73298 View attachment 73299 View attachment 73300 View attachment 73301 View attachment 73302 View attachment 73303 View attachment 73304
That looks bad ass, bud!!

Reactions: Capote

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
That looks bad ass, bud!!
Thanks man, but that lower needs to go, Poly lowers break very easily as you can see. That cracked with me just disassembling it :eyebrowhuh:

Reactions: Chickenhawk

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I been looking at lowers quite a bit and there are some good deals out there right now. $40 for Aluminum.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I been looking at lowers quite a bit and there are some good deals out there right now. $40 for Aluminum.
Yup, seen quite a few around bare lowers for $50 average and blem ones for around $40. I don't trust this poly lower to hold with the amount of use I have planned for this AR. I've read lots of articles in AR15 magazines while in Germany when OMNI first came out with them, they recently made a reinforced version, but that's still crap.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I dont mind poly, but there are better ones than Omni. I am hoping to build three more rifles for the family this spring and may go the 80% route this time.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I dont mind poly, but there are better ones than Omni. I am hoping to build three more rifles for the family this spring and may go the 80% route this time.
What other companies manufacture decent poly lowers?

Ahh so you're gonna mill em yourself ehh?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
New Frontier - Hybrid ones from place in Tne

Figure why not. Even with the jig it is still a good price and I got buddys with the equipment that are interested as well. If they want to give it a shot I definitely will. Not sure i would on my own but might try one just to see.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
New Frontier - Hybrid ones from place in Tne

Figure why not. Even with the jig it is still a good price and I got buddys with the equipment that are interested as well. If they want to give it a shot I definitely will. Not sure i would on my own but might try one just to see.

I'll look into that

Sounds good man, I'd like to see some pictures of the process and finished product if you do it.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I am definitely intrigued as to how it would turn out. So easy to buy a complete I may buy 3 of them and a few to complete so I don't get held up if the completion does not turn out or takes time.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I am definitely intrigued as to how it would turn out. So easy to buy a complete I may buy 3 of them and a few to complete so I don't get held up if the completion does not turn out or takes time.

Too bad we don't live closer Kyle, I would love to see in person

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Got to love adult lego's and how many options there are!

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Endless possibilities, eventually I'd like to get a .22 upper, so when my kids get a bit older they can shoot my AR. Seem pricey though, seen a few on Cheaper Than Dirt that are over $400. The cheaper ones are out of stock

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
.458 Socom for deer hunting. Basic 16 inch 5.56 for the wife. Either a longer barreled 5.56 or a .300 blackout for fun. Plus thinking an AR-10 is needed to compliment the bolt action.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Yes an AR10:2thumbsup:

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Will also look into that as well, thanks

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
That is why I mentioned them...and I meant the other are some place in Tennessee, but they do a poly/brass hybrid thing if i remember right.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Just realized you said the same thing...lol

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Yeah, New Frontier Armory is right around the corner from me. I just don't get to visit as much as I would like...

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Yeah, New Frontier Armory is right around the corner from me. I just don't get to visit as much as I would like...

Can you get them to make us up some custom GMTNation lowers?

Reactions: Short Bus

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I know some of the poly ones can get etched from factory.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
*please remove, double posted*

Last edited:

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Spike's Tactical will do custom etching iirc

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Felt like sharing this since I finally identified what AR I had and all the info on it. I thought it was just some previous owners build. Turns out not to be. So I was researching my handguard again to get its weight, decided to start swapping in even more lighter parts, and I stumbled across this:
http://www.guns.com/2012/10/01/new-hd-series-ati-head-down-hdvx-v916/
Screenshot_2015-12-30-14-07-38.jpeg
I knew ATI made my OMNI lower and when I saw Head Down in the link headline I immediately clicked on it. Turns out that they had teamed up to produce 2 new AR's in 2012, the HD V916 (9" free float Head Down Invictus rail) & the HDVX (13" free float Head Down Invictus rail).

- "They are otherwise mil-spec, with 7075-T6 forged receivers, a Type III hard anodized finish and M4 grips and stocks. They are chambered for 5.56 NATO and have 1-in-7-inch twist rifling."

- "Apart from the singular handguards, the HD rifles are not terribly different from the many AR-15-type rifles available from the vast majority of offerings in the same price range with one noteworthy exception. These have ferritic-nitrocarburized barrels."

- "Also called Tenifer, Melonite and Plasox, this extremely durable finish is harder than chrome lining and smoother to boot. The only other major AR to use the same barrel lining is Smith & Wesson, with their M&P15 Sport. The advantage is that it’s a longer-lasting finish that is also a touch more accurate. The disadvantage is that you can’t visually inspect it for cleaning. Because like the outside of the barrel, the inside’s black. Combined with the free-floating barrel, these rifles ought to be more accurate than most. While they first appear to be more of the same, these small differences make them stand out from the rest of the AR wall."

That explains why the barrel on this AR is black and glossy looking, I was wondering why I never seen that before.

Just figured I'd share with ya guys

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Friends don't let friends use poly lowers, especially ATI.

ATI is wonderful at marketing their cheap Chinese-made accessories. They are fine for people on a very tight budget who want something nice to hang on their wall or show their airsoft friends. No offense to anyone, but just not for me, thanks.

I wouldn't use polymer lowers just because they are the cheapest you can buy for the same reasons I wouldn't buy brake rotors because they are the cheapest you can buy.

Last edited:

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Whoa didn't expect that kind of reaction...
I got this AR at a pawn shop. While I was in Germany I was planning on buying a Rugar AR-556, but jumped the gun (no pun intended) and bought an AR in town as soon as I got my big check for being over there. This one just caught my eye, didn't know much about it and didn't even notice it had a poly lower somewhow either when I got it... Yeah it cracked around the front takedown pin just simply disassembling for cleaning after I brought it home, but it hasn't affected anything, we'll see if that changed when I hit the range. I have already looked at bare lowers already just in case it does fail, aluminum. Aside from the poly lower everything else is in good order minus a stiff buffer spring still, this AR has barely been fired. I have plans to change out a lot of its components anyway as time goes on. This is pretty much an AR that I see as a budget type build.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Nothing wrong with budget builds, and enjoying your AR is what it is all about. I was just saying that polymer lowers and ATI parts are just not for me. Just as this site is dedicated to the enthusiast owners and drivers who appreciate knowing what is good quality and what isn't, I was just sharing my opinion.

There will always be room for 'economy' brake rotors and ATI rifle and shotgun parts on the market. I am far from an AR snob, and have seen RRA outshoot DD rifles in the right hands, but I have been around for a long time and saw the early advent of polymer lowers churned out by airsoft manufacturers and touted by mavens as "just like the Glock of ARs." I have seen too many break to ever want to trust my life to them. But that's just me. (I'm also the guy that my local NAPA store loves - I walk in and ask for their most EXPENSIVE brake rotor on the shelf!) :biggrin::biggrin:

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Nothing wrong with budget builds, and enjoying your AR is what it is all about. I was just saying that polymer lowers and ATI parts are just not for me. Just as this site is dedicated to the enthusiast owners and drivers who appreciate knowing what is good quality and what isn't, I was just sharing my opinion.

There will always be room for 'economy' brake rotors and ATI rifle and shotgun parts on the market. I am far from an AR snob, and have seen RRA outshoot DD rifles in the right hands, but I have been around for a long time and saw the early advent of polymer lowers churned out by airsoft manufacturers and touted by mavens as "just like the Glock of ARs." I have seen too many break to ever want to trust my life to them. But that's just me. (I'm also the guy that my local NAPA store loves - I walk in and ask for their most EXPENSIVE brake rotor on the shelf!) :biggrin::biggrin:

I hear ya brother, I hope she'll hold, but if she doesn't, oh well, I have no issue buying a cheap aluminum or billet lower to swap on over. I'm just enjoying how light she feels. Probably gonna take my aimpoint optic off, that really changed the weight lol. I'm itching to zero it and see how accurate of an AR it is. Then I'll go from there with improving it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online