Firearms

RayGumm

Apr 16, 2014
Lowest I can find online is 400ish new. Enter new problem: dude is in VA and I am in WV. Problems?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Use an ffl...

mike_k

Dec 5, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Trigger control...
Usually good about that. :eek: I think that was the only way to get my hands around them and I just kinda spaced the way I was holding them. I didnt even realize until I saw your post.

RayGumm

Apr 16, 2014
Alrighty! Successfully traded my FEG High Power for a brand new Kahr cm9! :smile:

Now the guy has a bad case of buyer's remorse and wants his Kahr back, so he is offering - GET THIS - A used Walther P99 QA 9mm w/two 16 round mags AND 50 rounds of 115gr winchester silvertip jhp's AND 100 rounds of 115 gr 9mm ball ammo fmj's

I say i'm goin for it pending a good field strip inspection, but the only thing that worries me is if the striker is broken off or not from excessive dryfiring (no idea how he or the previous owner treated it.). Any suggestions on how to look or test for this? He is bringing a snap cap for dryfire test, but I have no clue if the snap cap will indent at all telling me it was struck with the pin. Other ways to check? never handled a Walther before, but I am stoked about it. Walther's hold a special place in my heart. (007 fan, anyone?)

Thanks guys!

Reactions: dmanns67 and triz

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Hmmm. That Walther is a fantastic gun. Kind of a difficult decision. The Walther is pretty flawless as well as the Kahr. Hard decisions.

When I get back I'm going to start on building a 10/22. I need to think about getting a bigger safe. : )

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
A dry-fire test still won't show you any feeding/ejection problems it may have. Keep in mind that Walther's quality control has gone way downhill from the days of the PPK. Thankfully, the P99 is way better than the P22 (with the zinc-metal slide that cracks in half after 2000 rounds) but one of the biggest problems is not the quality of the handgun; it is the home gunsmithing that has ruined more guns than all the dry-firing in the world.

I would consider his offer pending a range test.

By the way, there is no possible way dry-firing can hurt any quality centerfire handgun. Dry-firing is one of the ways to condition emergency skills with people who carry handguns for a living, and develop good trigger control for people who want the best accuracy. Dry-firing is more valuable than live-fire for developing good skills, and one can learn exactly what to watch for with the movement of the front sight at the instant the hammer (or striker) falls.

Other than the fact one shouldn't dry-fire a rimfire handgun unless it has a provision for it, the world's top competitive shooters will dry-fire about ten times as much as live-fire.

Let us know how it performs in a range test.

Reactions: Mark20 and RayGumm

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
RayGumm said:
Alrighty! Successfully traded my FEG High Power for a brand new Kahr cm9! :smile:

Now the guy has a bad case of buyer's remorse and wants his Kahr back, so he is offering - GET THIS - A used Walther P99 QA 9mm w/two 16 round mags AND 50 rounds of 115gr winchester silvertip jhp's AND 100 rounds of 115 gr 9mm ball ammo fmj's

I say i'm goin for it pending a good field strip inspection, but the only thing that worries me is if the striker is broken off or not from excessive dryfiring (no idea how he or the previous owner treated it.). Any suggestions on how to look or test for this? He is bringing a snap cap for dryfire test, but I have no clue if the snap cap will indent at all telling me it was struck with the pin. Other ways to check? never handled a Walther before, but I am stoked about it. Walther's hold a special place in my heart. (007 fan, anyone?)

Thanks guys!
You found a place near Martinsburg to go shooting? I seen there is an outdoor range in Inwood, have not seen an indoor shooting range.

We should definitely meet up and hit up a range.

Reactions: RayGumm

RayGumm

Apr 16, 2014
dmanns67 said:
You found a place near Martinsburg to go shooting? I seen there is an outdoor range in Inwood, have not seen an indoor shooting range.

We should definitely meet up and hit up a range.
I usually just do a limited amount of plinking and test-firing in the field
behind my mother in laws thrift shop in Baker WV. We could maybe go there one day, we shall have to see. Did a little trap and skeet there with her .410 muskrat killer a few weekends ago. That was fun. I am going to test the walther there tomorrow after the trade.. I know I should do a range test first, but I have traded with this guy before and never had an issue. If it gives me any problems, he will surely be the first to know.

I need to find some legit ranges in the area. Still kind of new in town.

Reactions: dmanns67

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
RayGumm said:
I usually just do a limited amount of plinking and test-firing in the field
behind my mother in laws thrift shop in Baker WV. We could maybe go there one day, we shall have to see. Did a little trap and skeet there with her .410 muskrat killer a few weekends ago. That was fun. I am going to test the walther there tomorrow after the trade.. I know I should do a range test first, but I have traded with this guy before and never had an issue. If it gives me any problems, he will surely be the first to know.

I need to find some legit ranges in the area. Still kind of new in town.
Its beem a while since me and the wife have been shooting. I also am holding a couple guns of my buddy's who cannot have them on base, so definitely want to shoot them. One is a .22 AR-15. My primary is a .40 S&W. Wife has a .38 special revolver.

Reactions: RayGumm and triz

RayGumm

Apr 16, 2014
So did the trade, kahr for walther p99. Walther shoots great, no jams, no problems. Accurate as hell, even at 50 yards with a steady hand.

I'm happy with it!

Thanks for the advice guys!

Reactions: triz and dmanns67

jsomething

May 13, 2013
RayGumm said:
So did the trade, kahr for walther p99. Walther shoots great, no jams, no problems. Accurate as hell, even at 50 yards with a steady hand.

I'm happy with it!

Thanks for the advice guys!
P99 is an awesome gun. First gun i ever bought. Fit my hand like a glove when i found the right back handgrip thing. Still my favorite to shoot too.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
dmanns67 said:
Its beem a while since me and the wife have been shooting. I also am holding a couple guns of my buddy's who cannot have them on base, so definitely want to shoot them. One is a .22 AR-15. My primary is a .40 S&W. Wife has a .38 special revolver.
You should let her try the Ruger SR22 Pistol. Its a awesome little gun. I have a .38 S&W revolver I leave her when I am away, but she likes this a lot better.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Buddy just got same weapon. Feels good. Hoping to try it out Sunday.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
I have a friend thinking about getting a Shield or Taurus G2 Millenuim compact. Anyone have a G2?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I have had good luck with Taurus myself. Not tried the G2 but I sure would.

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
6-7 years ago I was looking into Taurus, and wasn't impressed back then. Especially the revolvers. I have heard though, that the quality is getting better, but really no first hand experience since then. My 2¢.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
So why put them down when you have no experience?

Reactions: mike_k

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
I love my taurus pt101. Its a berreata look alike in 40s&w. Never once had an issue. Never a failure to fire, feed, or eject. If it did, I would send to taurus for their lifetime warranty.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
I think that is one of the main reasons he wanted the Taurus, the warranty. It looks like a decent gun at its price point. The only negatives I could find on it, the trigger. Seems like it has a long trigger pull or something.

This week he seemed to be leaning more towards the S&W, We'll see what he ends up with.

I started working on a 10/22 build off some spare parts. Missing a few items still. I'll post up what I got soon.

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
So why put them down when you have no experience?
You must not have read what I wrote?

Wasn't impressed 6 or 7 years ago. The Taurus pistols had sloppy trigger pulls. Ended up getting a Beretta.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Looks good. Kydex is good stuff.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Here is a 10/22 project I am working on for the kiddos and gf. Its not the pattern I was looking for, but before I found what I wanted the dirty had been done. Still should look good when finished. I may go with a black barrel over the stainless,

IMAG0344_zps33745061.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I like it

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
triz said:
Here is a 10/22 project I am working on for the kiddos and gf. Its not the pattern I was looking for, but before I found what I wanted the dirty had been done. Still should look good when finished. I may go with a black barrel over the stainless,

IMAG0344_zps33745061.jpg
How did you do that? can you take a close up pic? :yaay:

triz

Apr 22, 2013

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I hear it holds up good too.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Looks like a nice piece

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011