Finally installed the 3" lift kit!

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
Had the day off so I installed it today. The kit is from Liftmeister and I absolutely love it! My Envoy sits reeeaal nice and level now.

Can't take pics at the moment because another FL rain storm is upon us, but I will post a pic or two tomorrow.

Next is an alignment which I'll schedule tomorrow. Then I'll plan for wheel spacers and larger tires, but that'll be done during the "cold' months...when the average high temp is about 70* (brrrrrr) :laugh:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
How was compressing the springs? Fun adventure typically.

Reactions: Capote

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
How was compressing the springs? Fun adventure typically.
Ugh, yeah. It went just as expected...horrible!
I bought a cheap POS 3 ton hydraulic Spring Compressor from ebay. It compressed just fine, but it made the spring slightly tilt to one side and made it very difficult to re-install the top cap/bolt in the center of the coil.

I would have finished the job hours earlier if the spring would have compressed at a level rate. Oh well. You get what you pay for...
I'll see if I can find a better spring compressor somewhere. I'd like to have one in my garage for if and when one of my other cars needs to have the struts replaced.

Reactions: Capote

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
One pic. Not the best but I took it as I was just getting home & while the sun was at a bright angle. My apologies.

I also had it aligned today at Sears. My neighbor works there and he said that the numbers were out of whack due to the lift, but they're all good now. :thumbsup:

Next mods are larger tires and wheel spacers. I do not want to go radical with tire-height simply because I don't need to, so I think I'll settle on 255-70-17's. Again, that's in a few more months down the line. My current tires still have about 40% tread left and I'd like to get some more use out of them before replacing.

DSCN1412.JPG

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Now we just have to get you up here for a meet. Would be nice to have more LWBs present :yes:

Reactions: Capote and Mounce

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
Sounds good. I do not know the Tampa Area too well yet, but I'd definitely like to meet up with some other members.
Any good Buffalo Wing places around ??? :salivate:

Reactions: Capote and Mounce

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
We got plenty of places for wings, it seems most of the places we go to have a good selection of wing sauces. They don't disappoint. Thinking of maybe having a meet in January. I'll keep you posted.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
You won't need spacers with the tire size that you are looking at.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Looks great man[emoji106] [emoji106]

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
Blckshdw said:
We got plenty of places for wings, it seems most of the places we go to have a good selection of wing sauces. They don't disappoint. Thinking of maybe having a meet in January. I'll keep you posted.
Sounds good. Thank You!

djthumper said:
You won't need spacers with the tire size that you are looking at.
Oh, I was under the assumption that anything taller than 255/65's req'd spacers. Now that I'm thinking of it, there was a thread posted here from offroadTB that showed the tire sizes along with info if spacers were needed or not. I'll google it after typing this.

Anyhow, you just saved me some dough :biggrin: Thank you

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
And yours are 30.1. So I'd be inclined to say that 255/70/17 (31.1") won't fit without spacers.

If I was gonna throw the cash for spacers I'd get bigger tires.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
30.5 is the max....maybe 30.6

31.1 wont work.

255 70 16 works but 255 70 17 is taller.

Reactions: Mounce

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
When the time comes, I'll buy spacers and just keep them on the side. If the tires rub, I'll install them. If not, I'll put the spacers up for sale at a lower cost. I'd like to have them "just in case..."

I thought about 255/75's, but I honestly do not need the taller tires. I only wanted something to help fill in the gap after installing the lift kit.

SnowBlazer:
Those tires look good! ...And I also want the raised white lettering facing the outside when I get new ones installed. I've always liked that look.

And here's the site I was looking at for tire sizes:
http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2290&sid=9cfa9af00e56adf4504ec39d94b9b7cb

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Lot of good info on the sister site.

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
Machoman said:
Did you remove the rear air bags?
Never had them to begin with.

I did however replace the two rear springs back in 2012. Not sure if they were OEM or aftermarkets when I bought the Envoy, but whatever was there, was weak. I bought the springs from rockauto.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86